General Chat Thread

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
True, but it's rather impractical. The internal tubing runs are slow, inefficient and require frequent draining and refilling, while external cooling, while effective, is incompatible with most environments the human body is typically used in.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It seems you have a defective model, mine easily handles -10°C up to 35°C with the included protective cover and fan. It does perform less in the higher temperature ranges.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I kinda hate computers sometimes.
Had to reinstall windows after my PC wouldn't boot, and OF COURSE the repair tool fails with no message beyond "didn't work" and now I can't get the sound to work because Realtek.

Been meaning to build a new computer for a bit now, because I've had to reinstall Windows multiple times due to Windows Update breaking and OS rot kicking in in the EXACT same fashion every time (so it's clearly hardware related), but component parts are kinda crazy still.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I kinda hate computers sometime.
I know...especially when all of a sudden out of nowhere that the PC dies. No prior warning sign, no symptoms..etc.

BTW, anyone else has a habit of 'computer/internet' fasting? I mean, deliberately abstaining from PC/internet for a period of time (a few days). I have developed this practice in the last 10 years or so, as a test to see how much I depend on this technology.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I SHOULD do that.
A lot of my friends are Internet friends, so it's lot harder to take a step back from other people's problems when I need to actually take care of myself.
As nice as it is to just chat whenever, the downside is not actually getting a break from people.

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
Not sure this is the right general thread for this but heh. ^^ While I've come seeking advice for my first SFF build (Node 202), I recalled that I own some compact GPUs, which I've bought years ago for reasons not space-related, rather because back then I thought something like "well they're smaller versions of the same I was going to buy so why not",
And they've just been sleeping on shelves and boxes for quite a while.

- Gigabyte GTX 750Ti OC LP 2GB (for my first and only other ever PC build many years ago, I didn't realize how small it was until it arived)

- XFX R7 250 Core Edition LP 2GB (DOA :( got refund and forgot about it. wanted to upgrade an Optiplex, that was my real 1st SSF attempt kinda, then my ego erased the memory of it)

- Sapphire RX 570 ITX 4GB (wanted to test something, but only for a medium ATX tower, chose it bc it smol)

Now I'm here busy working on the - unrelated to these cards - SFF build that will become my main rig, and browsing around the forums reminded me I still have those three little cards somewhere...and I hate that it gives me ideas for other builds already. XD This hobby seems viciously addictive.

I'll discard the R7 250A since I doubt I can fix it anyway.
The 750 Ti might be too weak these days to deserve much attention, I remember having monitor output identity issues with it that pissed me off.

RX 570 looks like a keeper though, I think it would pair well with my old i5-4690k, but I can't find a 1150 mini-ITX board for it anymore, looks like they're all gone at least in my area.

So I'm thinking of either getting a 'LP ATX' case if that form factor exists, rather horizontal-friendly, or make one myself though I am not too confident in my crafting skills. The idea is to keep it on the cheap and not spend weeks on it, it's basically recycling and downsizing my old PC.

Any examples of such cases around here ? thx

EDIT: Thermaltake Core G3 and...that's it ? price over here isn't really good, 100€ w/out PSU, and customers say the GPU riser thingy is sh*t.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Server SSD's look so nice. I hope to pick one up used sometime- they look like unbeatable workhorses.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd focus on ones that perform better than an M.2 NVMe drive, but still offer (recent) support for Windows 10 or your favorite Linux distro, as those two properties often aren't a given.

Meanwhile, at the enterprise market, the storage is going in all sorts of places due to the possibilities with form factors and PCIe.

The "ruler" form factor aka EDSFF E1.Long:

The more classic form factor aka EDSFF E3.Short:

E1.Long:

Untitled2.png

E3:

Untitled.png

- E3 long double width (E3L 2x)
- E3 long single width (E3L)
- E3 short double width (E3S 2x)
- E3 short single width (E3S)

If I'm correct, the locking bracket (first image) is being standardized as well, which explains the screw holes on the front of the E3 drive models.

E3S, E1S and E1L:

Also using different connectors. These connectors are fully intercompatible, using PCIe x1 up to x16 per device:

Untitled3.png
AIC : Add In Card or what we commonly refer to as expansion cards or PCIe cards.

All this can be found on: https://edsffspec.org

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Figured out how to enter "Factory Mode" on my Dell U2711 monitor today. Turns out it's nearing 15400 hours of usage. Considering I bought it in late 2011, I would actually have expected a bit more - that's not even two whole years! Though admittedly 4.7 hours a day every day for 9 years certainly isn't nothing. Can't complain about its longevity considering it's a hot-running CCFL-backlit monitor. Guess Dell Ultrasharps have a reputation for quality for a reason. Hopefully I can squeeze out the budget for an upgrade before too long, though I imagine I'll keep this as a secondary monitor until it dies.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Thanks guys!

how has the internship and degree treated you the past year or so?

Whoa, you remember that? 😲
I think it's been more like two years now since I logged on here, but it's been great! I learned a lot at the internship and generally had a great life during that time.
The masters in industrial design was hugely stressful, I can tell you that much, but in the end I've grown in more ways than I can count in what now feels like a very short amount of time and passed with distinction, so it's really been worth all the pain and sleepless nights 😌

How's it going with SFN? Seems like it's only been growing in the last two years. I gotta hop on the Discord some time, catch up with everybody :)

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hey! What a surprise! I thought you had left us for good!
I did not remember about the internship and stuff, but thought you needed time to focus on music. I may be all wrong about that though...
Anyway, good to see you back here Mr. Flex! ;)