General Chat Thread

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Advice needed:-
I need to watch some video files copied off from a CCTV system. The files have an extension of ''.264''.

When I watch the video in the security room's monitor, the video playback is quite sharp (relatively speaking).

But when I watch the files (copied to me in an USB thumb drive) with a provided software called ''R6Viewer'', the video is relatively blurry, at least not matching the 'original' quality.

I do not have much experience with video playback. Any expert here can shed some light?

I wonder if there is a free software that can play back .264 video files? I wish to know if blurry-ness is caused by a software playback or not. Any idea? TIA.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I need to watch some video files copied off from a CCTV system. The files have an extension of ''.264''.

When I watch the video in the security room's monitor, the video playback is quite sharp (relatively speaking).

But when I watch the files (copied to me in an USB thumb drive) with a provided software called ''R6Viewer'', the video is relatively blurry, at least not matching the 'original' quality.

I do not have much experience with video playback. Any expert here can shed some light?

I wonder if there is a free software that can play back .264 video files? I wish to know if blurry-ness is caused by a software playback or not. Any idea? TIA.
Don't have any experience with this myself, but DuckDuckGo gave me this guide to playing files like that in VLC.

Reactions: tinyitx

Amathophobia

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2020

VLC would most likely play it. I would assume a .264 would just be mpeg 4. Not sure though.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Just watched Digital Foundry's new in-depth video on the Xbox Series X. Hot damn. That thing looks good. And eminently SFF-adjacent. PPL on that thing looks very, very good.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Not sure if anyone is experiencing this in their area, but at my local PC store (Micro Center) there's been a run on computers and monitors in the expectation that gougers can resell them at a higher markup for all the people working from home now. Of all the resources one could monopolize to try to gouge prices, monitors don’t seem like an expected one :\

• Angry
Reactions: VegetableStu

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not sure if anyone is experiencing this in their area, but at my local PC store (Micro Center) there's been a run on computers and monitors in the expectation that gougers can resell them at a higher markup for all the people working from home now. Of all the resources one could monopolize to try to gouge prices, monitors don’t seem like an expected one :\

OMG now people hoard PCs as well?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I work in an organic focused supermarket chain. The last week has been insanity. I'm shattered. My sister who works near me is shattered. Panic buying, and prep buying has been a massive challenge to deal with. In top of this, we are having to order as much stock as possible to stockpile as imports are slowing to a trickle (a /lot/ of organic dry goods are imported from countries that are basically closed now).

NZ is closed to foreign visitors from midnight. All 28 cases of the virus in NZ are travellers who are in isolation..no community transmission here has occured. Yet.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
The US is sure to hit 10k confirmed in like, no time. The actual total is definitely way higher due to how wretchedly slow people are being tested here. Not to mention the amount of people still not taking it seriously.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Regarding this announcement ''SFF.N will be offline briefly for scheduled maintenance on Saturday, March 21st, from 9 PM to 9:30 PM EST. ''
I suggest changing the time of EST to UTC/GMT format in future announcements because (1) EST Eastern Standard Time means different things to Australia/New Zealand and North America/Caribbean, and (2) this site has a large number of world wide users and using something like UTC/GMT is less confusing.

What do you guys think?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Regarding this announcement ''SFF.N will be offline briefly for scheduled maintenance on Saturday, March 21st, from 9 PM to 9:30 PM EST. ''
I suggest changing the time of EST to UTC/GMT format in future announcements because (1) EST Eastern Standard Time means different things to Australia/New Zealand and North America/Caribbean, and (2) this site has a large number of world wide users and using something like UTC/GMT is less confusing.

What do you guys think?

As one of global citizens from South East Asia, I agree that having GMT is great, but it's not a necessity.

As of now I urge everyone to stay safe. Economy is bad especially for small business owners, professionals & executives.

But perhaps while things are slowing down, at the same time it's also an opportunity to do other things: learn something new, spend more time with family, or complete some pending CPU cooler reviews, for example.. :)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Heyo, everyone!

Like @ignsvn, I just wanted to say stay safe, (try to) keep healthy, and if you're stuck inside like I am, working remotely, find a few projects to ease your boredom, SFF or otherwise (like ignsvn said)!

I'm hoping this all turns out okay, and soon we all can go back to everyday life!

Best of luck to all of you!

APSinc

Chassis Packer
Jul 30, 2018
Hi,

I've been registered here for a while but haven't said much. Done a lot of reading to see what's going on and learn stuff. Been interested in hacking together my own case our of wood or mdf for cost reasons...

Also I noticed that I can't edit posts. Is there a reason for that?