General Chat Thread

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Looking at the rise of USD compared to other currency.. Ouch. It's going to hurt my SFF budget.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
A Japanese guy used 4 months to create a secret room inside a wall socket. Yes, it is a man cave, but it is for Ant-man only.
Take a look at the pics. Pretty neat!

On an unrelated issue: Does anyone know how to create more 'points' on the fan curve of Asus Fan Xpert? Currently it has only 3 points to set up the curve. IIRC, I could add more in the old days. Is this feature gone now or what?

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
For $ 1,000 you can buy a laptop that will be more powerful, faster, more compact and cheaper. Plus it's a monitor and mobility. This is what your small apartment needs !!! I just saved you a ton of money and time. Good luck !!!

Powerful.. Yes and no.. Let's say I have a laptop & desktop PC, both with the same 3Ghz proc, running at top speed.

Here is the thing:

On my laptop, I can only run at top speed for a limited duration before the small heatsink gets too saturated with heat & the processor throttles down to prevent overheat.

While on desktop.. Well I can have my gigantic 10kg - Noctua X9999 cooler with 300mm fan that allows me to run my CPU at top speed for 24 hours.

*in short I can watch cute kitten & puppy videos longer

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Not sure if anyone is experiencing this in their area, but at my local PC store (Micro Center) there's been a run on computers and monitors in the expectation that gougers can resell them at a higher markup for all the people working from home now. Of all the resources one could monopolize to try to gouge prices, monitors don’t seem like an expected one :\
Not surprised. We have had issues getting them as monitors are the hand sanitizer of tech right now. Still a bit of a mess getting people setup for remote.

As one of global citizens from South East Asia, I agree that having GMT is great, but it's not a necessity.

As of now I urge everyone to stay safe. Economy is bad especially for small business owners, professionals & executives.

But perhaps while things are slowing down, at the same time it's also an opportunity to do other things: learn something new, spend more time with family, or complete some pending CPU cooler reviews, for example.. :)
I'm trying to but it sucks being the one hardware tech that tears down machines, under quarantine. I have my part-time jobs so I'll be doing those and learning Blender.

Heyo, everyone!

Like @ignsvn, I just wanted to say stay safe, (try to) keep healthy, and if you're stuck inside like I am, working remotely, find a few projects to ease your boredom, SFF or otherwise (like ignsvn said)!

I'm hoping this all turns out okay, and soon we all can go back to everyday life!

Best of luck to all of you!
You too. Stay safe and sane.

Reactions: ignsvn and Windfall

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Here's an example for a 1000
DELL G5 15 5590 Intel Core i7 9750H, 2.6 GHz, 16384 Mb, 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080, 1000 Gb + 256 Gb SSD, nVidia GeForce RTX 2060 6144 Mb, Windows 10 Home
Believe on this device, you can not only look at the kitten all day, but also allow yourself much more.

This is SFF Network, not laptop network, fyi :)

• Haha
Reactions: rfarmer and ignsvn

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Am I the only one daydreaming about AMD sticking their new Navi 12 (Radeon Pro 5600 for MacBook Pro) onto a HHHL AIC and releasing it as the RX 5700 Nano? If they can run 40CUs at 1035 MHz at just 50W(!), they should be able to do something like 1300 at 75W, right? They could even cut a couple of CUs off so that they have a use for the imperfect dice, and Apple gets to keep their exclusive. A card like that should absolutely crush the 1650, and keep the HHHL performance crown for quite a while. It would be a worthy successor to the R9 Nano if you ask me.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
That amd gpu could be really sick.
under 75w could allow for a low profile one, and that would be really interesting

lucky for me I got a 1650 LP here before the pandemic. it doubled in price before vanishing soon after
its been very good for watching cat videos haha, I guess I only really played the sims 4 tho

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Norwegian summers might not be the best, but they certainly don't lack in variety. Saturday peaked at ~32C in the shade here. Now?

Admittedly it's just past midnight, but I don't think we exceeded 13 degrees today.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hong Kong, being in Southern China, always has hot and humid summer.
For the past several days, it hit 34C high. At night, it does not usually drop much, around 28C. The killing part is the 90% humidity.
At home, indoor temp is 30C if the a/c is off but drop down to 25-26C with a/c on.
Autumn is the best season here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and ignsvn

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Hong Kong, being in Southern China, always has hot and humid summer.
For the past several days, it hit 34C high. At night, it does not usually drop much, around 28C. The killing part is the 90% humidity.
At home, indoor temp is 30C if the a/c is off but drop down to 25-26C with a/c on.
Autumn is the best season here.
Yeah, humidity is often what makes heat oppressive. Even the hottest days of a heat wave here in Norway don't feel close to some of the places I've travelled (Sabah, Malaysia; Vietnam, southern India; Cambodia, the Peruvian Amazon). I've never really stayed for long in a city with that kind of heat and humidity though - and I don't think I could live in one. My body isn't built for that kind of heat :p I still wish I didn't have to wear a scarf in July though!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Gosh, just how cold was it ?
The thermometer I posted above says 9C, and IIRC that day didn't go above 13. Combine that with wind and rain and you've got a pretty chilly day. (Also, not really related but we had ~11C on the 1st of January this year with proper winter not really arriving until late February - the weather in recent years this far north has gotten pretty weird.)

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The thermometer I posted above says 9C

Lol, didn't see it coz' shitty phone took ages to load it :D

and IIRC that day didn't go above 13. Combine that with wind and rain and you've got a pretty chilly day. (Also, not really related but we had ~11C on the 1st of January this year with proper winter not really arriving until late February - the weather in recent years this far north has gotten pretty weird.)

Ain't that cold ... but I'm very bad at judging temperature. I'm cold resistant, 2-3C and I don't even wear a jacket ... side effect, I start to melt at 20C and can barely support summer :|.

Rain + cold wind is nasty though and you'd better not be soaked.

Reactions: khanate

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Lol, didn't see it coz' shitty phone took ages to load it :D

Ain't that cold ... but I'm very bad at judging temperature. I'm cold resistant, 2-3C and I don't even wear a jacket ... side effect, I start to melt at 20C and can barely support summer :|.

Heh, tell me about it - my internal thermostat is entirely broken, it often seems completely unrelated to the actual temperature. A typical winter day for me consists of dressing for the temperature before going out, then removing successive layers of clothes as I get uncomfortably hot. When I was in high school I often arrived at school sweating in just a t-shirt in -10° winter weather, even if I left home in a thick coat :p In summer I'm typically always hot, though if I get even a little cold, my body seems to never warm back up. You can also add to that a very sensitive respiratory system meaning I get colds and the like easily and frequently - I'm really happy I'm moving to a place with a slightly more stable climate than here :p

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017

Dude, I get wrecked by heat too. I don't get it.