General Audio Discussion

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
I agree the limitations are that of what is possible with the drivers, but I wouldn't expect to reach "400$ studio monitor level" out of my hack job.For me it is more of an exercise to see what can be achieved with what I got. Buying something is easy, I regularly need challenges or I die. If I'm busy with another project I might let this one slide though.

But you don't understand, you will never get 400$ audio out of the Z-5500's..

/s

I'm with you. This is the perfect tinkerer project, and it can't get any worse than the Z-5500.

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
i doubt these prices cross borders very well, but i'd like to suggest the dayton sub-1200 (or -1000 or -1500) as an excellent .1 in a desktop 2.1 setup in the US. i run audioengine a2+ for the mains and the sub-1200 for the sub on my desktop and it's honestly one of the most enjoyable listening experiences i've ever had. the adjustable low pass frequency makes it easy to integrate with your top end. sound quality and power handling are way above the price range.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The thing with powered studio monitors (and speaking from experience) is that while they are really nice, the sound profile is not for everyone.
I know way to many people who have bought monitors and being disappointed with the sound profile they have, and missing more punchy bass, more connections, magnetic shielding etc.

Studio monitors aren't meant to listen to music, they are meant to produce music. They must have a neutral sound and flat frequency response. Also, they are meant for proximity listening.

Many people do like monitors because it does not add anything to the sound, but this is a love it or hate it game.

Also, keep in mind that changing components, especially capacitors, will change the sound profile and signature of the amplifier circuits.

While I prefer active speakers, I would say monitors isn't for everyone.

All active speakers aren't monitors and all monitors aren't active. ! Your Z-5500 are active speakers (via the sub), while the KRK R6 are passive monitors..

Also the problem with active speakers with analoge inputs, is while the speakers may be excellent, the on board sound card (which a lot of people are using) is usually not. And the sound is only as good as the weakest point in your rig.

Therefore I always advice people to buy something which accepts digital input (optical, coax or usb) or buy a high quality DAC.

People buying monitors aren't using onboard sound cards. They are meant for studio running audio cards that cost more than a VR enabled gaming rig, VR set included. Those cards uses AES/EBU or I2S, which is far better than SP-DIF (coax or optical) and USB.

Back to regular users, is they don't want to buy a decent sound card, then the best as you suggested is either an external DAC or an active kit with digital input. I'd rather suggest a dedicated DAC, as I know what components they are using :D

Edit: Wikipedia says it better than my poor english .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_monitor

Monitor vs hi-fi speakers
No speaker, monitor or hi-fi, regardless of the design principle, has a completely flat frequency response; all speakers color the sound to some degree. Monitor speakers are assumed to be as free as possible from coloration. While no rigid distinction exists between consumer speakers and studio monitors, manufacturers more and more accent the difference in their marketing material. Generally, studio monitors are physically robust, to cope with the high volumes and physical knocks that may happen in the studio, and are used for listening at shorter distances (e.g., near field) than hi-fi speakers, though nothing precludes them from being used in a home-sized environment. Studio monitors are increasingly self-amplified (active), although not exclusively so, while hi-fi speakers usually require external amplification.[citation needed] Monitors are used by many professional producers and audio engineers. The advantage of a studio monitors is that the production translates better to other sound systems. [12]

Whereas in the 1970s the JBL 4311’s domestic equivalent, the L-100, was used in a large number of homes, and the Yamaha NS-10 also served both domestically and professionally during the 1980s. Despite not being a "commercial product" at the outset, the BBC licensed production of the LS3/5A monitor, which it used internally. It was commercially successful in its twenty-something-year life,[7][13] from 1975 until approximately 1998. The diminutive BBC speaker has amassed an "enthusiastic, focused, and … loyal following", according to Paul Seydor in The Absolute Sound.[14] Estimates of their sales differ, but are generally in the 100,000 pairs ballpark.[14][15]

Professional companies such as Genelec, Neumann (formerly Klein + Hummel), Quested, PMC, and M & K sell almost exclusively to the professional monitor market, while most of the consumer audio manufacturers confine themselves to supplying speakers for the home. Companies that straddle both worlds, like Tannoy, ADAM, Focal/JM Labs, surrounTec, Dynaudio, and JBL, tend to clearly differentiate their monitor and hi-fi lines.

Last edited:

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Studio monitors aren't meant to listen to music, they are meant to produce music. They must have a neutral sound and flat frequency response. Also, they are meant for proximity listening.
Well, they actually are, but they're designed to project the music as accurate as possible. Producers need this, but some listeners also like to hear the music the way the producer intended. But I get what you're saying. The words you are looking for is "near field".

All active speakers aren't monitors and all monitors aren't active. ! Your Z-5500 are active speakers (via the sub), while the KRK R6 are passive monitors..
Yeah, that was me mixing it up. But the Z-5500 are be definition passive. The sub it self is active, but the satellite speakers themselves are passive. Active/powered speakers have the amp built in to the speaker itself.

People buying monitors aren't using onboard sound cards. They are meant for studio running audio cards that cost more than a VR enabled gaming rig, VR set included. Those cards uses AES/EBU or I2S, which is far better than SP-DIF (coax or optical) and USB.

"Professionals buying monitors" /FTFY

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Well, they actually are, but they're designed to project the music as accurate as possible. Producers need this, but some listeners also like to hear the music the way the producer intended. But I get what you're saying. The words you are looking for is "near field".

Near field, that's the word. Thank you ! I do prefere monitoring headsets because of this "transparency".

Yeah, that was me mixing it up. But the Z-5500 are be definition passive. The sub it self is active, but the satellite speakers themselves are passive. Active/powered speakers have the amp built in to the speaker itself.

I still see this as an hybrid approach in order to keep the size of the satellite small enough. 2.0 kits have 1 active and 1 passive satellite then ;)

"Professionals buying monitors" /FTFY

True :D ... kinda tired these days. But, as a regular user, I wouldn't connect monitors to my onboard audio to see all artifacts and electrical noise amplified :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Pat-Roner

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
One other thing to consider is it's a lot easier to take a monitor with a flat response and colour it as desired (e.g. EQ a bit more bass, a bit less treble, etc) than to try and equalise to flat a non-flat speaker/amp system.

Very true. I always say demo any speakers or set up before you buy it if possible. Everyones ears like different things. I like the neutral sound of monitors for music, but I have several friends who enjoy a more colored sound.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I prefer neutral personally. The problem with passive bookshelf speakers is that they are rarely near-field and I'm not buying bookshelfs + expensive DAC to realise they need to be 2 meters away from me to sound a little OK. Monitors are neutral, most are active, all are atleast decent.