Image Credit - Gamers Nexus​

Steve from Gamers Nexus, seen above showing the equipment he uses to torture PR departments, has just released an very insightful and necessary look into modern GPU power design and why so many people are having their systems crash. The GN crew tested 40 combinations of hardware and software in this analysis, and it's eye opening. If you're system is randomly shutting down or you're thinking of a GPU upgrade, take a look.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Maybe some sff or gaming company will start selling a small pcb with a bunch of smoothing caps on it,, & an 8 pin pci connector on each end. Then it can be daisy chained on the gpu power wiring. Sort of like how, in car audio, you can add an aftermarket capacitor bank into your system immediately before your amplifier. Doesn't have to be really big, maybe 70mm x 25mm x 10mm. Small enough to cram along the edge of your case somewhere.

(I'm no EE, I don't actually know if that would work)

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Maybe some sff or gaming company will start selling a small pcb with a bunch of smoothing caps on it,, & an 8 pin pci connector on each end. Then it can be daisy chained on the gpu power wiring. Sort of like how, in car audio, you can add an aftermarket capacitor bank into your system immediately before your amplifier. Doesn't have to be really big, maybe 70mm x 25mm x 10mm. Small enough to cram along the edge of your case somewhere.

(I'm no EE, I don't actually know if that would work)
That’s way above my pay grade, but it would be neat.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
This article is great to understand issues faced while using hd pled or similar psu with powerful gpu…not a good combo at all unfortunately.
From now we need to look for sfx psu with 1000w power…hopefully some are announced on top of sx1000.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
This article is great to understand issues faced while using hd pled or similar psu with powerful gpu…not a good combo at all unfortunately.
From now we need to look for sfx psu with 1000w power…hopefully some are announced on top of sx1000.

There are some coming.

For my 12900K/3080 build I used a Silverstone SFX-L 1000 watt unit.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
There are some coming.

For my 12900K/3080 build I used a Silverstone SFX-L 1000 watt unit.
Yes saw Asus/Seasonic thor sfx-l 1200w…but that is becoming insane as power consumption.
I’m still very sceptical about so much power just to play….we are in total opposition compared to Pascal gpu lineup

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I was waiting for this piece to come out...I'm so tired of the r/sffpc posts saying a 750W is fine for a 3090Ti because Optimum's video showed it as such since he measured with a Kill-A-Watt (a device which back years ago was known to have a +/-30% margin of error) at the wall....and of course a KaW doesn't measure transients at all, only sustained loads, and even then with horrendous accuracy.

Reactions: rfarmer