Log G-unique DiY stuffs \\updated 22nd Mar 2021 0.90L-900CC X300 APU build with custom AM4 heatsink and PSU\

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
this project is to make a solution of smaller case and better cooling than Deskmini X300 's orignal case:
the new case's size is 15.1cm* 14.2cm*4.2cm,about 0.9L/900cc

first,diy a heatsink with vapor chamber cold plate and all copper fins to help improve cooling performance,and apply a blower type fan to he heatsink,directly blow the hot air out of the case,like this:

the blower fan sucks cool air then blow througth the fins ,and hot air goes out off the case from the rear:

flow soldering the fins to the vapor chamber plate (square LGA2011),together with the conversion bracket(LGA2011-AM4):

paint the heatsink with matte black ,made it look better:

still can see the color of copper at the base:

try mount it onto the X300 STX board,not bad:

the blower fan fits well too,seems it can help some cooling of the M2 ssd:

rear of the heatsink:

about the same height as the memory module:

maximize the scales of fins using all available space,and still in low profile:

the heatsink is mounted by 4 M3 screws from the back of STX board:

do some test,temp is accepable since i am only using a 65watts 3400G:

when bench GPU and CPU in the same time,max power from my tiny GAN charger is about 120watts:

and here is my unqiue screwless simple case:

preserved an opening of AC power input connector for internal GAN power module:

to be continued:
complete case ;
120watts 5cm * 2.6cm *1.8cm 20V 6A Gan adaptor;

180watts 8cm * 4cm *3cm 16V11A Si adaptor;

finished paiting the upper case:

the upper case also touch the cpu heatsink's fins to help cooling,so when the CPU is in idle or low load condition,the blower fan can be pwm tuned to very low rpm,nearly passive cooling by the case.

rear looking:

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Smaller and smaller! :eek:

I am looking for an heatsink fins with openings on its lateral sides.
Can you please share where you did get yours?

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
That's fantastic, as always!

I might recommend some bleeder holes along the periphery of the CPU block - Just sneaking a small bit of air closer to the processor can help with cooling.

Also, why not extend the heatsink out to also handle the VRMs? Might be worth it on your v2, whenever you get around to it!

stalthy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 23, 2020
What are the specs of the fan? have you considering replacing it with a sunon magless fan (if its even possible)

stalthy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 23, 2020
What are the specs of the fan? have you considering replacing it with a sunon magless fan (if its even possible)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This looks great! Of course it makes me wonder what would win in noise and performance of this vs. the same vapor chamber with a low profile heatsink and a 15mm axial fan blowing into it. Also, on the current design, wouldn't blocking off the top of the fin stack improve cooling? Seems to me like a lot of air would escape out the top without actually passing most of the fin area.

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016

Galiador

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 13, 2019
Really excited to see how you tackle the GaN adaptor for this. Would be so epic to have a power brick that fits inside the motherboard's dimensions