Found a newfound love for the Xbone S

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I haven't owned a console in almost two years and probably would get a Nintendo or PS4 system before Xbox One but seeing this tear down of the Xbox One S shows how much Microsoft has changed its interior layout, contrast to the larger original Xbone that looked pretty empty and simple next to the PS4.

It's kind of neat how all the major components are also labeled. They've really stepped up their design and planning of this console.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It definitely looks like an upgrade internally, although that HDD still sears my eyes.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh it's not that it's a bare drive but that it's an HDD in a console at the end of 2016. I was hoping SSDs would have been more mainstream by now. I know, 500GB SSD still costs over a $100. Oh well, next generation consoles I guess.

Reactions: Soul_Est

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well, as you say, the price of SSDs is still significant, especially when the whole system costs only 400 bucks. But what is really curious is that they don't even have a high-end model with an SSD inside. Maybe their marketing department determined that a more expensive Xbox with less but faster storage wouldn't be as well received as a more expensive Xbox with just more storage.

And I'm just happy that you can get to the drive relatively easily, upgrading to an SSD shouldn't be too hard if you were so inclined, apart from the special setup for formatting that was mentioned in the teardown.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The intro model of the Xbox One S has 2TB of space, but 1TB and 500GB models will come afterwards. I think the choice for a mechanical HDD is definitely to keep the consoles at a sensible price point.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Price is down to $250 on sale for S model. Includes 2 controllers and 2 major titles. I got high hopes for the Scorpio