FormD-T1 Vertical orientation base

pyroxide

Caliper Novice
Aug 14, 2019
I've not put any more time into this concept.

For those who are following the thread, I would be keen to know if there is a demand for this. Also what is your use case for it?

Personally I'm looking for a way to orient the case vertically, and keep the cables tidy. However I would like to know if there are folks who are looking for support for specific hardware, ie water cooling, or additional storage.
All I really want is the small footprint and tidy factor. Having room for a larger pump or res would be helpful for some, but I have no need for that.

Reactions: Kundahli

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
I would be interested in this. (Currently lucky enough to have the formD on my desk. The footprint is tiny but this would be ideal. The footprint would be literally tiny.

it would look super clean too.

Philtt

Cable Smoosher
May 30, 2020
Hi tyen,

really like your idea.

May I suggest to put a distribution plate at the bottom. Since T1 currently had 2 19mm connection for water cooling.

only problem I foresee is colour matching the black powder coating of the T1 case.

Phil

Ahido

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 14, 2020
I'm interested as well. The idea is brilliant and the size is just right. If possible, some front I/O ports, e.g. USB, would be perfect.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Personally I dont even need front IO. Just somewhere to mount the power button on the back with the cable outlet and I am happy :)

Reactions: xredlinexx1

Nero

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2020
I've not put any more time into this concept.

For those who are following the thread, I would be keen to know if there is a demand for this. Also what is your use case for it?

Personally I'm looking for a way to orient the case vertically, and keep the cables tidy. However I would like to know if there are folks who are looking for support for specific hardware, ie water cooling, or additional storage.

I would very much be interested, but if it needs to be secured with screws I don't think it would be ideal.

I see this as a "dock" of some kind, the T1 is made with mobility in mind so to me such a base would need to be easily attached and removed to work ideally.

My use case would be like I said using this as a dock when at home, ideally with added performance-focused features like fans (or simply slots so we can put nice Noctuas in there) with real measurable improvement of temps and maybe I/O (secondary), without being screwed to it so that when I need to be on the move I can just grab the T1 and leave the base behind. Magnets maybe?

Basically I see this as a premium vertical stand. Not just a featureless piece of metal but not a full on "top hat-like" system.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I would very much be interested, but if it needs to be secured with screws I don't think it would be ideal.

I see this as a "dock" of some kind, the T1 is made with mobility in mind so to me such a base would need to be easily attached and removed to work ideally.

My use case would be like I said using this as a dock when at home, ideally with added performance-focused features like fans (or simply slots so we can put nice Noctuas in there) with real measurable improvement of temps and maybe I/O (secondary), without being screwed to it so that when I need to be on the move I can just grab the T1 and leave the base behind. Magnets maybe?

Basically I see this as a premium vertical stand. Not just a featureless piece of metal but not a full on "top hat-like" system.

To be easily removable and also to have other things (fans, or IO) seem to be in complete opposition. Unless you plan to power the fans off a separate 12V supply, there's no added convenience benefit of having a tool-less vertical stand. Same goes for IO.

Nero

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2020
Not necessarily, to me it's very feasible in the same way every high end dock is doing: use a high bandwidth, readily available connector like usb 3.2 to operate the whole thing. OP doesn't need to provide anything other than the metal frame, but my use case was to have some sort of way to setup a usb hub inside where I could plug this to power a fan , obviously have access to USB ports if possible but not necessary, have added storage in the base (external 2.5 SSD mounting spots maybe ?) nothing crazy.

It's very much more convenient to just unplug that USB C cable than to have to whip out the screwdriver when detaching it.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems fairly doable to me, not saying OP has to take care of all that he would just provide the frame with these uses in mind and everyone is free to use it however they want.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Very VERY interested in this - may I ask how you'd plan on getting a matched colour and finish to the T1?

Would you use the same manufacturer?

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Did this idea ever progress?
I think it had some merit. I was keen to see just a simple basic “stand” to change the orientation of the case. Nothing more.

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Interested, in fact i wanted to do thisbut have no real means to implement it neatly so definitly something I would purchase.

tonyadamsff

Chassis Packer
Sep 22, 2020
I'm definitely interested to buy one of this, and actually I registered the account for this. I've been looking for a nice case that has a small footprint and when I saw this dock I'm pretty sure this is what I want.

I would prefer to go without IO ports in the dock but rather make it easy for me to use a third party dock with it. I can see how IO ports become obsolete over time or at least the layout becomes less ideal (usb-c vs usb-a, 3.0 gen 1 vs gen 2, etc), especially when usb 4.0/TB4 become mainstream.

Clevername3000

Efficiency Noob
Nov 21, 2017
I would love to see someone try to 3d print a simple no-screw base, and a top to cover the cables. Maybe with a port on the top panel you can screw the power button into.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
Don't know about this project but..1 or 2 if you are needing something right now. I would like the metal build of this one but one of those uses key caps, which is something I've been considering.