FormD-T1 Vertical orientation base

tyen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
I've been tinkering with the idea of creating a base to mount my T1 on to convert it to a vertical case.

The base would be affixed to the case by the same screw holes which mount the top and bottom panels of the case.

Since the T1 doesn't have front IO, I thought about adding them to the base itself.

I'm very open to hearing any feedback.

I know the front IO is pretty ugly. Perhaps you know of a nicer design which would suit it better?

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I've been tinkering with the idea of creating a base to mount my T1 on to convert it to a vertical case.

The base would be affixed to the case by the same screw holes which mount the top and bottom panels of the case.

Since the T1 doesn't have front IO, I thought about adding them to the base itself.

I'm very open to hearing any feedback.

I know the front IO is pretty ugly. Perhaps you know of a nicer design which would suit it better?

This is a cool idea! I'm not a fan of front IO, to me it would be perfect with a power button only. Maybe verTical USB slots would look better, if IO is a must.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
In addition to putting the T1 vertically and providing front IO, maybe you can design more features/functions to add more value. Eg I wonder if a fan is somehow incorporated to provide ventilation?

tyen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
Thanks for the feedback!
I agree that front IO isn't all that important. Also it does make it quite ugly.
I'm not sure about fans. I especially see a problem with blower style GPUs. Perhaps adding mounting holes for 40mm fans to pull air out would help.

I made a few changes which I'm quite keen on.

- The power button is now inset
- Added ventilation holes at the back

Next up I'm thinking about rubber feet or surface under the base to reduce vibrations.

Gerold

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2020
www.instagram.com
Looks interesting.
How would you deal with dust if removing the front panel of the T1 and mounting it to the base, so the I/O is on top?
I get that this wouldn't be the preferred side to mount, but just something to keep in mind.

What's the height of the base? Would you need angled cables (like displayport)?

Proflucifer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 13, 2020
Can you move that back dust filter thing to the bottom? I think the cables would look better coming from a slightly elevated hight instead of from the bottom.

Also, how would one rout the power button cable in? I get it might work in two slot mode because of the gap place but three slot mode doesn't have an opening to rout the cable.

Proflucifer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 13, 2020
Also, there is space to fit a 120mm fan underneath but there are cables and maybe hight constraints.

But people who make stuff for the t1 are magical and im sure some mad man will find out how to fit a 120mm fan in if you release this thing.

tyen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
How would you deal with dust if removing the front panel of the T1 and mounting it to the base, so the I/O is on top?

I hadn't considered that dust would be much of a factor with this. Do you think that there would be an issue?

What's the height of the base? Would you need angled cables (like displayport)?

I'd like to avoid needing right angled cables :)
The current height is 50mm. Looking at my case now, the display ports are around 40mm. There's some stiffness in the cable but I think they would still fit within 50mm. It's very easy to adjust the height at the moment so that'd be a quick change

Can you move that back dust filter thing to the bottom? I think the cables would look better coming from a slightly elevated hight instead of from the bottom.
Also, how would one rout the power button cable in?

I'll be trying out some new ideas today around cable management. I agree it would be nice to have them be tidy when you are plugging them in while it's horizontal before turning it vertical.
In a 3 slot layout I would route the power cable through one of the rear holes next to the power cable port.

Also, there is space to fit a 120mm fan underneath but there are cables and maybe hight constraints.

But people who make stuff for the t1 are magical and im sure some mad man will find out how to fit a 120mm fan in if you release this thing.

I'm not sure whether a fan would help much with this base.
I am thinking about mocking up a replacement front panel which would support a fan. Combined with this base it and in a pull orientation it would blow air directly up out of the case.

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
I like the idea and I could see it being appealing to owners of the T1 that like the P1, but don't want to spend another $150-200 on a case. I don't think I'd get one, but if the front panel is removed with this mod It would be interesting to see if some people can put a small pump/res in the bottom to free up some space in the case and also make filling and draining the loop easier.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
... Perhaps adding mounting holes for 40mm fans to pull air out would help.
Yes, I suppose two or three 40mm fans would be enough for internally-exhausting display cards, which might dump about 10% via the rear direction.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I'd be interested to see the difference with a vertical T1 layout to the P1 once that prototype is done.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
Very interesting! It would be interesting to find out if a few 40mm fans is enough to draw the heat from blower GPUs away from the case.

tyen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
I've not put any more time into this concept.

For those who are following the thread, I would be keen to know if there is a demand for this. Also what is your use case for it?

Personally I'm looking for a way to orient the case vertically, and keep the cables tidy. However I would like to know if there are folks who are looking for support for specific hardware, ie water cooling, or additional storage.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I have a blower card right now so I would have the front panel face down with this addition at the top to have cables coming out of the back. But as GPUs may change, I could then flip it the other way. I don't need anything else and this would be in lieu of 3d printing since that doesn't match as well. I don't see the SV590 or H1 doing much with their design either except hide cables.

FischOderAal

Average Stuffer
Apr 15, 2020
I've not put any more time into this concept.

For those who are following the thread, I would be keen to know if there is a demand for this. Also what is your use case for it?

Personally I'm looking for a way to orient the case vertically, and keep the cables tidy. However I would like to know if there are folks who are looking for support for specific hardware, ie water cooling, or additional storage.

I'd be interested. I also think it would be quite easily done with one laser cut and bended sheet of metal. The difficult part will probably getting the colour right.