Log FormD T1 - Air cooled 4k Gaming ITX Build | Update: Test with different coolers

Maendro

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
hrdwreblog.de
Hello Community,

first post, I hope you find it helpful or interesting :)

I finally got around to do a build in the FormD T1. I already had the case here, but then gave it to a good friend because he was looking for a long time. Now that he has switched cases again, it is back where it should be and that is with me ;) . Since the case has been around for quite a long time, I'm a bit late, but I really wanted to have a look at it. In the end, I decided to go with an Air cooled FormD T1 build.

ITX cases are small. Really small. In the case of the T1, we're talking about a volume of just 9.95l and a weight of 2.8kg. The dimensions are a slim 13.5cm x 22cm x 33.5cm. Based on these values, it is clear where the challenge for this build lay. Well, one challenge was to fit everything into the case, the other one was to fit the system in terms of temperature and noise level.

What really helps in my eyes are custom cables. In my case they are from Endgame-Customs. I used 1x the FormD T1 24-pin cable and 1x the FormD T1 8-pin CPU cable. Every saved millimeter helps and using suitable cables helps immensely.

Furthermore, and I don't think I'm saying this now, you should look at the instructions on how to assemble/configure the case to make sure everything fits. Since I got the case from my friend and he built it to his needs, I had to disassemble it first and then reassemble it from scratch.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you should install the fan of the CPU cooler in a way that it blows air from the outside onto the CPU. Away from the CPU, as I show on the pictures or in the video, is not a good idea. To make it short: CPU IN - CASE OUT.

Here are some impressions from the build:

and if you like you can watch the complete build video but be aware, it`s in german ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Maendro

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
hrdwreblog.de
Unfortunately I can't edit the post, so here are the specs of the build:

Case: FormD T1 v2 SW
CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z790-I Gaming WIFI (Pictures show the B660, after the build was completed, I discovered that is was defective. Was a nice surprise)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 5600MHz C36
CPU-Cooler: Thermalright AXP120-X67 @ Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap
Case fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM chromax.black.swap
HDD: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD 1 TB
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum

Greetings

Maendro

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
hrdwreblog.de
Update:

I was not really satisfied with the temperatures and I already had a few changes in mind that I would like to implement or test. My first idea was the change of the CPU cooler. So I switched the Thermalright AXP120-X67 @ Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap with the Noctua NH-L9x65. The rest of the hardware was not touched.

In terms of temperatures the NH-L9x65 unfortunately can't keep up, which is somehow understandable since a much smaller fan has to do the work here. In terms of volume, both do not give each other anything, at minimum revolutions or at 1000 revolutions per minute, both are whisper quiet. The behavior logically changes at full speed. Here, both are equally "loud".

Changing the CPU cooler didn't bring any improvement but to be honest, I didn't expect it either. The Noctua NH-L9x65 I used is a great cooler. Small, compact, quiet and a perfect finish but simply the wrong one for my case. However, it was nice that I could close the case wall again ;) .

You can watch the full testing with noise and graphs in my current video:

Last edited:
Reactions: wertzius and m3lezZ

Maendro

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
hrdwreblog.de
So, final part done.

I did a small change in my system and kicked the Z790i out and replaced it with a B760i. For many out there, I think this is more realistic. Furthermore the CPU cooler has been replaced. The Noctua NH-L9x65 is out and the Alpenföhn Black Ridge is in. The supplied fan was immediately swapped for the Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap.

In my testing the Black Ridge is on par with the Noctua at 1000 rpm. First place goes to the AXP120-X67. At maximum rpm, the AXP120-X67 is still ahead, followed by the Black Ridge and then a larger gap the Noctua. Unfortunately, the small NH-L9x65 cannot keep up, which should be understandable since a much smaller fan has to do the work.

In terms of volume, they all give nothing to each other, at minimum revolutions or at 1000 revolutions per minute they are whisper quiet. At full speed, the behavior logically changes. However, they are equally "loud" here as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: m3lezZ and wertzius

Maendro

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
hrdwreblog.de
The end. Small side note: I have to admit that the T1 has robbed me some sleep. It's a great case but if you build in it often then it's too small. At least for me.

With all coolers, the installation was very simple and straight forward and with two of them I was even able to close the case wall afterwards (Alpenföhn & Noctua). Since the Thermalright was a bit bent, that unfortunately didn't work and that was also the reason why the temperature and volume measurements were taken with the side panel open. Is this also the case with yours?

The Thermalright AXP120-X67 @ Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap really does a great job. The performance is very good, the installation is easy and the build quality is great as well. In conjunction with the Noctua NF-A12x15 (I didn't use the stock fan) it's a great combination that I'll continue to use in further builds if it fits.

And as always you can see the roundup in my new video:

Reactions: m3lezZ and rfarmer

hahler2

Chassis Packer
May 6, 2019
Currently using a 5800x3d and a 7900 xtx reference. I want to go to a T1 V2 for a case. Which cooler would you recommend with the case in 2.5 slot mode? Was leaning towards the Blackridge. Or an aio. But I like the simplicity of air.

Also, nice work on the write up and videos! That was some good work!

Reactions: Maendro

Maendro

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
hrdwreblog.de
Currently using a 5800x3d and a 7900 xtx reference. I want to go to a T1 V2 for a case. Which cooler would you recommend with the case in 2.5 slot mode? Was leaning towards the Blackridge. Or an aio. But I like the simplicity of air.
I would go with the AXP120 if it’s not bend like mine but make sure that it really fits. Otherwise the Black Ridge.
Also, nice work on the write up and videos! That was some good work!
Thank you very much, really happy to hear that.

Reactions: hahler2

hahler2

Chassis Packer
May 6, 2019
Unforunately, the AXP120 does not fit in 2.5 slot mode. Only 63mm of space for cpu cooler then. The AXP90 would though. But I think i would still pick the BlackRidge over that.

Thanks!

Reactions: Maendro

Maendro

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
hrdwreblog.de
Unforunately, the AXP120 does not fit in 2.5 slot mode. Only 63mm of space for cpu cooler then. The AXP90 would though. But I think i would still pick the BlackRidge over that.

Thanks!
These 5mm :(
Black Ridge should be the second choice.

Last edited:

ericnguyener

Case Bender
New User
May 2, 2023
So, final part done.

I did a small change in my system and kicked the Z790i out and replaced it with a B760i. For many out there, I think this is more realistic. Furthermore the CPU cooler has been replaced. The Noctua NH-L9x65 is out and the Alpenföhn Black Ridge is in. The supplied fan was immediately swapped for the Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap.

In my testing the Black Ridge is on par with the Noctua at 1000 rpm. First place goes to the AXP120-X67. At maximum rpm, the AXP120-X67 is still ahead, followed by the Black Ridge and then a larger gap the Noctua. Unfortunately, the small NH-L9x65 cannot keep up, which should be understandable since a much smaller fan has to do the work.

In terms of volume, they all give nothing to each other, at minimum revolutions or at 1000 revolutions per minute they are whisper quiet. At full speed, the behavior logically changes. However, they are equally "loud" here as well.

Is it the Asus B760-I? I wanted to get the Black Ridge for my Asus B760-I and 13600K, but I was unsure if it'd fit. I've read that the VRM heatsink is too tall for the Black Ridge.

Maendro

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
hrdwreblog.de
Is it the Asus B760-I? I wanted to get the Black Ridge for my Asus B760-I and 13600K, but I was unsure if it'd fit. I've read that the VRM heatsink is too tall for the Black Ridge.
Yes it is. In MY case it worked out but the cooler was sitting on the ram. You can check my blog post:
FormD T1 Kühler Roundup - hrdwreblog
There you will find a picture on how it looks. Hope this helps.

ericnguyener

Case Bender
New User
May 2, 2023
Yes it is. In MY case it worked out but the cooler was sitting on the ram. You can check my blog post:
FormD T1 Kühler Roundup - hrdwreblog
There you will find a picture on how it looks. Hope this helps.
Good to know! Does it only fit with the heat pipes facing towards the I/O panel? I'm running 3-slot mode so I'm not too sure if a 92 mm fan will be able to cool the 13600K—even with an undervolt.

Maendro

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
hrdwreblog.de
Good to know! Does it only fit with the heat pipes facing towards the I/O panel? I'm running 3-slot mode so I'm not too sure if a 92 mm fan will be able to cool the 13600K—even with an undervolt.
If I remember correctly then it was the only direction I was able to mount the cooler.

BloodyHawk

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 25, 2024
So, final part done.

Hi mates, your post is inspiring. I am looking for any information about the b760i and the Alpenföhn compatibility, so dl you confirm that the Alpenföhn Black Ridge fits really well in the rog strix b760-i?