First Take: Portable PC Kaby Lake Edition in Silverstone Milo SFF Build

nextechnews

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 19, 2017

https://www.nextech-news.com/portable-pc-build/

Hey, so this is my first time on the forum and decided to post my video build log to show off my first take on a portable desktop PC. I'm already working on my second rendition of this now and will be sure to share it with you guys the second I finish.

The end goal: will be to have a super small itx pc that runs on a battery pack that I will make and has a screen and keyboard all powered off of the PC.

This is my first prototype of the idea which is why it is running off of an AC Battery Pack and an AC to DC PSU; there is a loss of energy for sure going from a DC battery, converting to AC, then converting that AC back to DC for the PSU.

I'd love to get your guys suggestions and feedback on the best way to make a portable PC, willing to try anything.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Getting a motherboard like the AsRock Z270 Fatal1ty with a Thunderbolt 3 port and then a TB3 powered and compatible monitor like the LG 4K superfine would seem to be the logical first step to me. As far as powering the unit off of batteries, it's a bit tougher. I am currently developing a power unit that will use standard power tool batteries at 18V, merge their power and output straight to a 16-24V DC-DC power supply, but it won't be ready until late summer or fall. If you're not on a tight timeline and are interested, send me a PM.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

nextechnews

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Getting a motherboard like the AsRock Z270 Fatal1ty with a Thunderbolt 3 port and then a TB3 powered and compatible monitor like the LG 4K superfine would seem to be the logical first step to me. As far as powering the unit off of batteries, it's a bit tougher. I am currently developing a power unit that will use standard power tool batteries at 18V, merge their power and output straight to a 16-24V DC-DC power supply, but it won't be ready until late summer or fall. If you're not on a tight timeline and are interested, send me a PM.
How long theoretically would a power tool battery power a computer? I feel like they have very low MAH, or am I wrong?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
This is my first prototype of the idea which is why it is running off of an AC Battery Pack and an AC to DC PSU; there is a loss of energy for sure going from a DC battery, converting to AC, then converting that AC back to DC for the PSU.
You will probably want to look into DC-DC PSUs, such as those offered by HDPlex or G-Unique. These can be combined with an AC-DC PSU (internal or external, like a laptop brick) or with a battery.

:EDIT:: @lhl has an extensive thread on this.