First SFF-build - need input before Final purchase

Predabot

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Hey everyone - new to SFF-building and the forums. = )

So, I've been asked by a friend to make him a new gaming-pc - only thing is, this friend is also a... HOARDER!! And has a mild form of Autism, so his needs are specific - he's often got a lot of dust at his home (thinking I need to mod the dust-filters, perhaps add ventilation in the chassis to compensate) , since he has trouble keeping things clean. I'm making it SFF since he has limited space - I've done quite a bit of reading, but I'm still not entirely sure about my planned build, so if you whom are more experienced could have a look at my plans and let me know what you think, then that would be awesome.

He's also absolutely adamant that there must be a Bluray drive in the build, so that part is a must as well - I tried to find one that can do real 4K that's actually slim and on our market, but I'm not sure if this is the best bang for one's buck? (LG drive)

Budget: ~1500 Euro / 1600$

Build:
CHA: SilverStone Milo ML08

CPU: Ryzen R5 3600

GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC

MB: MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz 2x8GB (F4-3200C14D-16GVK)

SSD: Samsung 860 QVO, 1TB

ODD: LG BU40N (4K UHD, RW)

CU: Cryorig C7

PSU: Corsair SF600 V2 600W

I’m particularly concerned about the versatility and durability of the BD-drive (soo many formats out there…!) as well as the cooling-solutions – should I increase the cost of the build, by going for a partner-card instead of the reference-design on the RX 5700? Is the Cryorig C7 sufficient to cool a 3600?

I picked the 3600 specifically because it has a lower TDP than the 2700x, which would have been my pick otherwise.

The 5700 is a very power-hungry card, but with a bit of undervolting magic, I figure it shouldn’t be a problem. (the nVidia equivalent 2060 Super / Rtx 2070 non-super have a ridiculous price-tag in my region!)

All right, looking forward to your takes on my build, cheers!

EDIT:
I've changed the graphics card for the build - what impact will this have on thermals, et c? Is it even possible to use this kind of card in the Milo Ml08, without modifications?

Last edited:

ThatGuy333333

Caliper Novice
Aug 5, 2019
I’m not sure what you mean by “BD” drive?
But as for the gpu in the mlo8 it has good enough ventilation to accommodate a partner card, which on sale can be found for around the same price as reference models.
The c7 should be plenty good to cool the 3600, you won’t be doing any overclocking though.
And I don’t think you’ll need to undervolt the 5700 (unless maybe you want to) i’d Even say the 600w psu is overkill you could easily get away with 450w psu.
Good luck with your build.

Reactions: Predabot

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
But as for the gpu in the mlo8 it has good enough ventilation to accommodate a partner card, which on sale can be found for around the same price as reference models.
The c7 should be plenty good to cool the 3600, you won’t be doing any overclocking though.
And I don’t think you’ll need to undervolt the 5700 (unless maybe you want to) i’d Even say the 600w psu is overkill you could easily get away with 450w psu.

I think he means Blu-ray disc drive

Reactions: Predabot

reasons4reasons

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2017
For the Blu-Ray drive it's worth seeing if you can find a LibreDrive-compatable unit, which makes ripping UHD disks possible. I've always found the Blu-Ray player apps for computers to be lackluster compared to the experience playing back DVDs, and it's nice to have the option to just rip the source file to an internal drive and play it from there. Slim, slot-load drives also tend to be less durable than their full-size counterparts (as well as more expensive) so it might be worth getting an external drive, either a full-size 5.25" unit or a slim one.

Predabot

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Cheers for the input to all whom replied. = )

I think he means Blu-ray disc drive
Correct.

Hmm, ok - sounds pretty good, if the ventilation is good for it, I'll certainly have a look at some of the custom cards.

Do you happen to know of a good place in the EU, to get the RX 5700 xt on sale at the moment? I'm not afraid to import from other EU countries, as long as it's a long-time well-known company.

For the Blu-Ray drive it's worth seeing if you can find a LibreDrive-compatable unit, which makes ripping UHD disks possible. I've always found the Blu-Ray player apps for computers to be lackluster compared to the experience playing back DVDs, and it's nice to have the option to just rip the source file to an internal drive and play it from there. Slim, slot-load drives also tend to be less durable than their full-size counterparts (as well as more expensive) so it might be worth getting an external drive, either a full-size 5.25" unit or a slim one.

Hadn't thought about that - I'll have a closer look at the actual specs of this drive, if it's supported in ripping programs.
I know it's not as durable as a regular drive, but I'm pretty sure my friend won't accept an external drive, so slim drive is the only option here.

EDIT:
It appears as if the drive is indeed among the recommended ones - however, it needs to be flashed with custom firmware first, in order to function.

That shouldn't be too hard though, I've messed about with firmwares for various things in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: reasons4reasons

ThatGuy333333

Caliper Novice
Aug 5, 2019
sorry, I don’t live in the eu so I can’t make good recommendations for where you should buy a gpu. I’d say look on Newegg but idk if you have that in Europe...

Predabot

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
So, I've changed the build, since I got the Ok to go slightly over budget - I have now added the Gigabyte RX 5700 XT instead of the RX 5700 reference - this card is almost 170$ more in my region, but will probably be worth it, performance-wise.

Now though... What's the general opinion on using a card like that, a non-blower card, in an SFF-build? Do I need to make a small funnel around the coolers, to make sure the air ends up on the outside? It's more work, but I'm thinking it might be worth it.