Log First SFFPC Build - NCASE M1 v6.1/5800X/TUF 3080

graycat

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Nov 26, 2020
SFF Network,

Thank you for all of the great information and ideas. This forum ( + SFFPC Subreddit) inspired me to build my first SFFPC. It was more challenging than a normal build with having to perform so much research on size/thermal constraints, but I'm really happy with how everything turned out. I have only built ~ 3-4 PCs so far, this was the first non mid/full ATX build.

Specs:
PartName
CaseNCASE M1 V6.1
CPUAMD Ryzen 7 5800X
CPU Cooler (Intake Configuration)NZXT Kraken X53 240mm AIO
MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX B550-I
GPUASUS TUF 3080 OC
RAMG.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB (16GBx2) 3600 CL16
PSUCorsair SF750
StorageSabrent 2TB PCIEx4.0 NVME
Case Fan (Rear Exhaust)Noctua A9x14 92mm

PCPartPicker Details: Winter 2020 - Small Form Factor Gaming & Development Build
Reddit Post: First SFFPC Build - NCASE M1 v6.1/5800X/TUF 3080 : sffpc (reddit.com)

Notes/Challenges:

1. Front Headers -
    1. Fitting the 3080 with the front panel was challenging. Remove the front panel, install the GPU, then re-install the front panel. With the TUF 3080 in particular, be careful that the back of the front panel USB cables do not press against the front GPU fan. This happened to me and I did not notice the fan was not spinning. As a result, it made the other GPU fans spin much faster and my computer sounded like a jet engine. Took me 2 days to figure out the issue, I originally thought maybe I had a defective GPU, bad fan curve setting, etc. I placed a small piece of black cardboard between the top of USB cable on the front panel and the edge of the GPU, this gave the fan room to spin.
    2. I had to zip tie the front panel cables to the bottom and side of the case so they would not touch the fans.
    3. The front panel adds more cable management challenges in the case.
    4. I selected the B550-I motherboard specifically for the front panel USB 3.2 Gen2 header, works great!
  2. PSU
    1. Maybe it's because I'm a noob, but cable managing all of the PSU cables was a challenge. You can tuck some of the extra PCIE 8-PIN connectors into the front panel of the case, if you don't have a SATA SSD taking up the slot. This was an option for me, as I'm going only with NVME storage.
  3. CPU Choice - I could not get a 5900X in stock, had to settle for 5800X. I may upgrade once stock is stable.
Results:
  • Usage - Primarily gaming and Python development.
  • Temps and fan noise are excellent IMO. I'm still landing on my "final" config, but I think undervolting the 3080 slightly allows reduced power consumption with a lower fan curve. I can play Cyberpunk 2077 with very little noticeable noise. I have not done perfect benchmarks/testing for noise and thermals, but these are my initial results:
    • Idle: CPU 35, GPU 37
    • Max Load (Synthetic): CPU 75, GPU 80
    • Gaming: TBD
  • I keep the rear case exhaust fan at a static 1200 RPM, CPU AIO Pump at 1400RPM. Asus cards have "0DB" mode where the GPU fans will turn off during desktop/low usage, which is awesome for noise.
  • The PCIE 4.0 SSD is awesome, I get around 4900 - 5000 Mbps Read/Write on the drive.
  • Having this small form factor with so much power is awesome, I have included comparison size pics with my Surface Book 2 15".

Inspiration & References:

graycat

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Nov 26, 2020
Thanks for the kind words. I actually went back and redid some cable management and re-routed the AIO pump cables down instead of up, inside is much neater now! Also managed to fit an extra 1TB Sata SSD I had lying around in the front mounting location.

Slay0rz

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 2, 2021
Great to see another fellow NCASE M1 build, I'd recommend further down the line upgrade the NZXT Kraken X53 fans to Noctua ones. Would be cool to hear how the build performs and develops over time!