First build baby steps

MansardThug

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
After wrestling with what case to use I settled finally on the Silverstone SG13WB. This was an affordable case ($69) that I felt will be forgiving as an entry point into SFF.
So with that (surprisingly difficult) decision down, I'm starting to refine components selections now I have a case to design around.
Here's my thinking...(btw this build is for gaming (1080-1440) and sometimes cad (work))
(also...if I should be posting pcpp links instead of just listing them, then apologies : )
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 (lots of suggestion for this in the bracket, so this has informed my decision, but wonder if I should consider something stronger)
MB - GB X570i Aorus Pro WiFi
GPU - Zotac GeForce GTX 1660S TF
PSU - 600-650W (not sure if this is really an item to skimp on but figure something trusted like Corsair)
CPU cooler - NH-L9a (interested in AIO but figure L9a is a good starting point)
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 2x16 DDR4 3200 (I understand 16MB is probably sufficient for games but indicators pointed to 32MB for multiple app switching and different uses, namely cad (Revit 2020) which will be for work at home. Happy to be convinced otherwise as the price point has a massive range.
HD - 1TB M.2-2280 NVMe (not sure which brand to run...any suggestions for a trusted brand?) Also extra 2.5" storage is probably easier on budget at this early stage than another ssd.
Build price sitting around NZ $2K

Instinct tells me this might be a bit CC but a good starting position with maybe some tweaking here and there. Keen to know what you think.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Go for an SFX PSU if you can, Corsair SF600? + Silverstone PP08(?) adapptor. It gets tight in there very fast!
I have owned an SG05, 06 and 13, great but need to be cooled carefully

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

This is a good video that shows what you can do with a SG 13 on a budget, I highly recommend a SFX PSU rather than an ATX as it will make cable management easier and give you better cooler clearance. With a SFX you could use a Noctua NH-L12S which is a much better cooler.

MansardThug

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Thanks guys, that's helpful advice.

Go for an SFX PSU if you can, Corsair SF600? + Silverstone PP08(?) adapptor. It gets tight in there very fast!
I have owned an SG05, 06 and 13, great but need to be cooled carefully

Will add SF600 to the shopping list : )
I noticed also on a post somewhere the mention of an additional 92mm side intake fan (presumably to help with cooling) with the psu as exhaust but the spec sheet on silverstone didn't seem to mention the option/space for this extra fan. Is this correct?

This is a good video that shows what you can do with a SG 13 on a budget, I highly recommend a SFX PSU rather than an ATX as it will make cable management easier and give you better cooler clearance. With a SFX you could use a Noctua NH-L12S which is a much better cooler.

OptimumTech is fantastic; this guy has been very helpful with figuring stuff out and understanding requirements. That NH-L12S is 30+ mm taller - still good to fit?

Should I invest in custom cabling to minimise lengths? Many builds show stock cabling which has a lot of excess. Seems like an easy, efficient fix to try for shorter lengths suited to the requirements.

Also filters. Seems while Silverstone has plenty of custom filters, only the front panel grille allows for any sort of mounting. The side and top vents do not. Could this be customised to make them work and are they even something I should worry about?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Here is an example of a Nh-L12S in the SG13 with a SFX PSU. Custom cables aren't necessary but they sure do help.

MansardThug

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Wow, that fits nice and snug! I'm guessing the psu is utilising the atx adaptor to make this happen.
Seems close over the ram; it's hard to tell from the Noctua site specs but the clearance over the ram appears to be about half the height of the cooler, so say ~35mm. I will need to source ram that fits under this. You don't happen to know what module is pictured?

Interestingly PCPP lists this cooler as incompatible but I guess that is just down to the AI compatibility filter?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
33mm clearance for the L12S. The ram pictured looks like Corsair Vengeance LPX, that and Crucial Ballistix Sport work well. Oh yeah forgot to mention you need a SFX to ATX bracket, if you get one of the Corsair SF Platinum they come with the bracket.

MansardThug

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Ah nice. Yes I've ordered the PP08 bracket from silverstone. Didn't realise they came with the platinum corsair but then I'm assuming it's that much darer than 80+ gold.

Just on the psu - I read that doubling the req. wattage for the build is a good way to source the psu in the right range. Does this method work? I think my build spec at the moment is just shy of 300W so I guess the 600 fits the bill fine.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
600 watt will be more than enough, I recently had a build with a 3600x and GTX 1080 using a SF450 and had no issues with it.

Reactions: ignsvn

Hatswitch

Cable Smoosher
Nov 20, 2016
Ah nice. Yes I've ordered the PP08 bracket from silverstone. Didn't realise they came with the platinum corsair but then I'm assuming it's that much darer than 80+ gold.

Just on the psu - I read that doubling the req. wattage for the build is a good way to source the psu in the right range. Does this method work? I think my build spec at the moment is just shy of 300W so I guess the 600 fits the bill fine.
In general, you don't need that much overhead to be safe with PSU wattage. Future upgrades might dig into the reserve there but the biggest reason that I have seen is to reduce the load on the PSU to ensure temps and noise are well within the reasonable range (for me, the latter is the more important).

The noise factor does depend on the PSU you use, as I know the SF600 (at least the generation I have) bases its fan curve on load instead of temps, so no matter how cool it is, if it's loaded the fan screams like crazy. This is one of the big reasons I'm looking into the Ophion EVO, to keep my quiet SeaSonic 660 X2 instead of learning to deal with the SF600's fan curve.

Long story long, doubling the wattage needed isn't a bad shotgun approach to PSU wattage, but it's rarely due to the actual supported and certified power rating of the PSU.

MansardThug

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
This is one of the big reasons I'm looking into the Ophion EVO, to keep my quiet SeaSonic 660 X2 instead of learning to deal with the SF600's fan curve.
Is this to provide more internal space for better airflow? Nice case, around 17 litres?

If the fan is loud under load can you swap out? I've seen a couple of vids where they've done this but I think they were flex.

Hatswitch

Cable Smoosher
Nov 20, 2016
Is this to provide more internal space for better airflow? Nice case, around 17 litres?

If the fan is loud under load can you swap out? I've seen a couple of vids where they've done this but I think they were flex.
More space for a WC loop for me. Stock coolers are tolerable, but I prefer silence.

And yes, swapping the fan and voiding the warranty is an option, just gotta find the narrow fan that fits, like the Noctua NF-A9x14 fan with a pin reduction (This is just what I've read, haven't tried it yet). I've got one on order just in case the ATX PSU is a bit too big, but during the current situation it will be a couple weeks before it gets here so I can give it a try on my workbench.

MansardThug

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Stock coolers are tolerable, but I prefer silence.

Going to have the noctua in back-up and maybe consider aio down the line as another option, but for now will see how I go initially with the stock AMD Wraith.

Thankfully the courier service is working well under lockdown. This just appeared on my doorstep...and so it begins...?

Interestingly, I hadn't noticed them before now but there are two matching depressions in the top grille. Anyone know what these are for - do they serve a purpose for something anticipated underneath or is this just for aesthetics?