Final Build Check! - Help?

JPa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
First time builder! I really want to make sure I haven't screwed some dimensions/thing up with my list of parts.. Here it is!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock TF 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
PSU: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Fans: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan .. (maybe some A12x15 to supplement the GPU?)

Would this fit in the Ncase? Also, how would temperatures be? And would my PSU be enough? Should I get the Gigabyte x570 and U9S instead?

Crap, I'm excited.. inputs anyone? Just around the same price point as it is now is acceptable.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Great build will it be! Few things though:
-3900x will be Hot! You are probably better of with an AIO.
-u9s won't be enough and the dark rock tf is not very compatible with mobo's and will certainly push ram to the side. I would stick with the noctua c14s. Check if the cpu socket placement is in the same place as the b450i and x470i, the gigabyte x570i has issues with the top panel because of the cpu socket placement.
-15mm fans don't push much air and are noisy. Especially silentwings with less rpm won't do much. Stick with 2 slots gpu's or buy a rtx 2070 super which runs a bit cooler. You can also buy an Accelero heatsink and stick fans underneath or buy a strix (what I have done) and remove the fan shroud to put noctua nf-a9 12x25 fans underneath.
-3600mhz ram is the best for ryzen 3000 and isn't much more expensive. Corsair isnt the best for overclocking. I would buy 3600mhz cl16 for that beast of a cpu for full potential or get crucial ballistix cl15 (which overclocks to all the 3700mhz).
-psu is enough! But if the 750 one is 10 bucks more, like I had, go with that one.

What are you planning to do with the system? Only gaming? Maybe there are a bit of options within your budget if it's for mostly gaming. The 3900x and Asus x570i are expensive and the 3700x performs just as well in games.
I went with the Asus b450i (with the new ones directly compatible with ryzen 3000 as shown on their website) and the 3700x + 32gb 3600 ram and strix rx 5700xt.
B450i is the same board as the x470i and is plenty for 8 cores, maybe even 12 cores. With the money you safe, you can buy a noctua c14s, proper ram and go with a 2070super or a strix rx 5700xt (if you like silence like me). You can also go the Accelero route on a cheaper rx 5700xt like mentioned.

You can't upgrade ram later in the itx, only by buying a whole New kit. I game at 1440p and the system can take up as much as 11gb of ram. So I chose 32gb for future proofing and being able to have many programs open.

Last edited:
Reactions: EndEffeKt

ScVince

Efficiency Noob
Oct 5, 2019
I really agree with HyperActive. You build will run pretty toasty. 3900x definitely needs an AIO in an sff build. The AIO does not necessarily cool better than a high-end air-cooling unit, but it does a good job of transferring that heat and preventing heat to be trapped in that tiny space. 5700 xt is also a very hot card, I would recommend for a 2070 super instead as well. For the v6 of ncase m1, since the side panel cut out is significantly improved, now you no longer need a blower-style GPU, widening GPU choice a lot. Go for a dual-slot card, then putting 25mm fans at the bottom as intake will help a lot. I do like be quiet's products. They are ultra-quiet, indeed. Yet they do not yield a really good performance. I would also go with noctua a12x25. Or even you can try NB-Eloop 12mm PMW fans, those are also very potent. If you have the money to spend on a combo like 3900x+5700xt, then I think you should also go with 3600 rams.

In addition, I think you really need to consider about cable. I just finished my build today. The stock cables coming with SF600 is a lot better than all other SFX PSU suppliers. Yet they are still too long and too bulky. I think a custom length and width cable would really make the build a lot more easier.

Plus, I think 3900x is an overkill. 3700x cannot be at 100% utilized even paired with a 2080 ti. If your primary work is gaming, then I think to downgrade your CPU a little bit, and using the money you saved on cooling, peripherals, especially monitor, will improve the experience even more significantly. If you do not have a headset, I also recommend Sony 7506. It is very good priced, yet yields a much better sound quality than many more expensive headsets.

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
The Ncase M1 has a max CPU cooler height of 130mm if you want the side fan, and your cooler is 131mm. Perhaps a 130 mm tower cooler or lose one fan?

Everything else looks great from what I can see!

JPa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
-3900x will be Hot! You are probably better of with an AIO.

3900x definitely needs an AIO in an sff build.

Which one would you recommend? I'm thinking either Deepcool Captain EX, Corsair H100i Pro or something in that range. Also, I'm rather afraid of leaks and if/what to do should that happen.. Would a C14S perform worse in the Ncase M1?

-15mm fans don't push much air and are noisy. Especially silentwings with less rpm won't do much. Stick with 2 slots gpu's or buy a rtx 2070 super which runs a bit cooler. You can also buy an Accelero heatsink and stick fans underneath or buy a strix (what I have done) and remove the fan shroud to put noctua nf-a9 12x25 fans underneath.

Go for a dual-slot card,

How did you fit the Strix? Because on the GPU compatibility list it seems to suggest you can't. What do you think about the two-slot Power Color 5700 XT (the non-Red Dragon one).

-3600mhz ram is the best for ryzen 3000 and isn't much more expensive. Corsair isnt the best for overclocking. I would buy 3600mhz cl16 for that beast of a cpu for full potential or get crucial ballistix cl15 (which overclocks to all the 3700mhz).
Would this one be good enough? G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

RAM here in Canada is still very expensive for some reason.. Like the next 3600 CL 16 kit for 16GB is around 170 (Neo) compared to this one being 120.
What are you planning to do with the system? Only gaming? Maybe there are a bit of options within your budget if it's for mostly gaming. The 3900x and Asus x570i are expensive and the 3700x performs just as well in games.
I'm planning on gaming, school, and heavy computational-based workloads, hence the CPU. At least, from the benchmarks, it seems significantly faster.

I went with the Asus b450i (with the new ones directly compatible with ryzen 3000 as shown on their website) and the 3700x + 32gb 3600 ram and strix rx 5700xt.
I really was considering going with the B450/X470 ones except almost none of them have any usb-C ports, and almost all my current devices are usb-C. So connectivity was going to be painful (dongles, etc.). Also, it seems that the X570 ones are more future-proof, but I may be wrong.

In addition, I think you really need to consider about cable. I just finished my build today. The stock cables coming with SF600 is a lot better than all other SFX PSU suppliers. Yet they are still too long and too bulky. I think a custom length and width cable would really make the build a lot more easier.

I would definitely want to do that, but I don't think I can fit that into the budget yet!

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
I don't know
Which one would you recommend? I'm thinking either Deepcool Captain EX, Corsair H100i Pro or something in that range. Also, I'm rather afraid of leaks and if/what to do should that happen.. Would a C14S perform worse in the Ncase M1?

How did you fit the Strix? Because on the GPU compatibility list it seems to suggest you can't. What do you think about the two-slot Power Color 5700 XT (the non-Red Dragon one).

Would this one be good enough? G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

RAM here in Canada is still very expensive for some reason.. Like the next 3600 CL 16 kit for 16GB is around 170 (Neo) compared to this one being 120.

I'm planning on gaming, school, and heavy computational-based workloads, hence the CPU. At least, from the benchmarks, it seems significantly faster.

I really was considering going with the B450/X470 ones except almost none of them have any usb-C ports, and almost all my current devices are usb-C. So connectivity was going to be painful (dongles, etc.). Also, it seems that the X570 ones are more future-proof, but I may be wrong.

I would definitely want to do that, but I don't think I can fit that into the budget yet!
I haven't looked into aio in the ncase since I will go c14s. C14s will be enough I think, but can become loud if you do long workloads (80% fan?). The forums notes lots of aio's for the ncase.
Normal power color will be fine, but loud, since the heatsink is small. Red dragon will be a bit better but is also a bit loud. You can always go Accelero for any card, I think, if you don't like the louder 2 slots.
Strix will be hard to fit, i have to rotate the power button and maybe lose some things and fasten them after fitting in the pcie slot. But it can fit as I have seen some posts about it haha. If not, the shroud comes off easily.
Any 3600mhz ram is great, but ripjaws too big for c14s, I think. 3600cl19 performs better in games than 3200 cl16. So pick any you want. Crucial ballistix 3200mhz cl16 is great for overclock, but depends on the price. Don't you need more gb of ram on cpu work loads? Otherwise 3200mhz 32gb is fine too. The difference is not that big if the difference is 50 bucks 3200mhz - 3600mhz.
You could look into the b450i and people going 3900x on it. I think it will be fine. Look for the vrm temps. You could go 3900x on b450i and go with the noctua c14s for better vrm temps, since the fan is blowing in the vrms of the mobo. This safe you money for the ram. A slight undervolt or underclock will help with the temps in longer loads on the 3900x! You can easily adjust clock profiles for your cpu with the ryzen master software. So a game profile (less heat than long heavy cpu loads) and a heavy load profile (lower clocks for less heat). I don't like aio's too, so I would personally go with the c14s, b450i and lower the clocks on heavy loads.
Slightly lower clocks won't heard the tenders that much, cores and threads are more important.

Last edited:

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
To the Ram-topic:
I just finished my build with 3700x, RTX 2080 and a B450-i Strix. Custom waterloop with 2x240.
After a lot of reading I decided on a Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 Cl 15 kit of 2x16 gb for 140 Euro.
My cheap Ram runs 3800 Cl 16-19-16-34 @1.42v and the fabric is overclocked to 1900 mhz accordingly. It is stable in Aida64, Memtest and Prime95 mixed 26.6.

If you want to spend a couple of hours tinkering with your ram the results can be quite impressive.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Lik
To the Ram-topic:
I just finished my build with 3700x, RTX 2080 and a B450-i Strix. Custom waterloop with 2x240.
After a lot of reading I decided on a Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 Cl 15 kit of 2x16 gb for 140 Euro.
My cheap Ram runs 3800 Cl 16-19-16-34 @1.42v and the fabric is overclocked to 1900 mhz accordingly. It is stable in Aida64, Memtest and Prime95 mixed 26.6.

If you want to spend a couple of hours tinkering with your ram the results can be quite impressive.
Like how.. My 3600mhz cl18 trident z Neo could not run at xmp.. Had to up the voltage 0,05v to run it stable... But I wanted rgb any way.

JPa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
I haven't looked into aio in the ncase since I will go c14s. C14s will be enough I think, but can become loud if you do long workloads (80% fan?). The forums notes lots of aio's for the ncase.
Alright, I'll go with that instead! Do you know if I would have to move the PSU to the ATX position? Also, should I add another fan on the side of the C14S (if I could)?

Normal power color will be fine, but loud, since the heatsink is small. Red dragon will be a bit better but is also a bit loud. You can always go Accelero for any card, I think, if you don't like the louder 2 slots.
Would adding some 25mm fans on the bottom of it help? Or should I try to stretch for a 2070S?

Strix will be hard to fit, i have to rotate the power button and maybe lose some things and fasten them after fitting in the pcie slot. But it can fit as I have seen some posts about it haha. If not, the shroud comes off easily.
I'm a bit scared of doing too much mods and things on my first build, if you know what I mean.

You could look into the b450i and people going 3900x on it. I think it will be fine. Look for the vrm temps. You could go 3900x on b450i and go with the noctua c14s for better vrm temps, since the fan is blowing in the vrms of the mobo. This safe you money for the ram. A slight undervolt or underclock will help with the temps in longer loads on the 3900x!
I really want to have a USB-C port, but I think all the ones who have good enough VRMs don't have one.

Crucial ballistix 3200mhz cl16 is great for overclock, but depends on the price. Don't you need more gb of ram on cpu work loads? Otherwise 3200mhz 32gb is fine too. The difference is not that big if the difference is 50 bucks 3200mhz - 3600mhz.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm swapping out my ram for the Crucial one. The ones I'm working on don't quite use that much RAM yet. I think..

JPa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Okay, here's what I'm thinking after these suggestions!

Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (I'm thinking of upgrading these a few years later to 64GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card
Fans: 4 x be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan (Because the Noctua A12x25 are sold out completely, and also these are cheaper)
- 2 for GPU, 1 for C14S, 1 for side panel?

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Okay, here's what I'm thinking after these suggestions!

Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (I'm thinking of upgrading these a few years later to 64GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card
Fans: 4 x be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan (Because the Noctua A12x25 are sold out completely, and also these are cheaper)
- 2 for GPU, 1 for C14S, 1 for side panel?
Great build now! But look up the compatibility for the Asus x570i and the c14s. I haven't looked into it.
The noctua c14s comes with a great noctua 14mm fan that you can mount underneath. Only a slim fans fits on top but won't do much other than making more noise than cooling from the forums I have read.
The side 120mm fan van help for a few degrees for the cpu, but I would just try without it first. Also, the 2 fans under the gpu in exhaust or intake makes lots of difference for gpu/cpu temps. You just have to try with some cpu loads and gaming to test what is best for cpu temps, since those will be the hottest. Takes a days work to switch fan position, but can help a lot with temps. Also, fan under the c14s in exhaust or intake differs per build, so you have to try your self. But intake would be best for vrms and exhaust on the bottom (and therefore making the gpu warmer).

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
Lik

Like how.. My 3600mhz cl18 trident z Neo could not run at xmp.. Had to up the voltage 0,05v to run it stable... But I wanted rgb any way.
I was going according to Ryzen Dram Calculator and after measuring my modules via typhoon burner it was giving me rough estimates that it can run cl16 with enough voltage. Micron Rev.E is rated for up to 1.5v so it should be no problem. I will try to get 3600 cl14 stable because then I could run the fabric stock. But first I need to fine tune my cooling.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
I was going according to Ryzen Dram Calculator and after measuring my modules via typhoon burner it was giving me rough estimates that it can run cl16 with enough voltage. Micron Rev.E is rated for up to 1.5v so it should be no problem. I will try to get 3600 cl14 stable because then I could run the fabric stock. But first I need to fine tune my cooling.
Thanks for the tips! I would like to run my 3600mhz cl18 at cl16 or lower with 1,45v. Will see how that works. Maybe 3800mhz cl16 for 1900fabric.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Just found a post on the main thread with a guy running a 9900k on air. He noted that fans under gpu as intake is 2-3 degrees better as exhaust, but cpu gets 5-6 warmer. I would go fans at bottom as exhaust.

nles

Efficiency Noob
New User
Oct 1, 2019

I would love to have a strix in my ncase too, but I'm really not sure it could fit. Do update us if it does :)

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
I would love to have a strix in my ncase too, but I'm really not sure it could fit. Do update us if it does :)
Will build it next satureday, but will try it first next tuesday. Bit silly for all the hard work and coming to the conclusion it doesn't fit without having bottom fans to run it without fan shroud...

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
For those of your running the Asus rog strix B450i-gaming motherboard - Do you have both M.2 slots filled? And if so, does your board work? Mine does not. It seems to be a known issue that if you put a M.2 drive in slot 2 the board will just boot up and loop over and over. You can't even get into bios.

This is what is happening on my board, but a review on amazon shows the exact same thing. So I was just curious if others have experienced that as well.

JPa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Okay, so I've gone and bought all the parts now:

Here's my full build! (Still waiting on a few parts to be shipped here)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($774.89 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($106.16 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($384.18 @ PC-Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($181.91 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($541.27 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($203.38 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan ($33.88 @ Canada Computers)
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan ($33.88 @ Canada Computers)
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($790.99)
Keyboard: Asus ROG Claymore Core Wired Gaming Keyboard ($123.17)
Mouse: Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Optical Mouse ($117.52 @ Amazon Canada)
Speakers: Creative Labs Pebble 2.0 4.4 W 2.0 Channel Speakers ($30.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Custom: Ncase M1 V6.0 ($347.41)
Total: $3669.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-06 17:34 EDT-0400

- I decided to cut down on the GPU, since I don't really care that much about gaming at Ultra right now, and it is still a very good card (and because I didn't want to push the limist of my budget that much).
- The RAM, I changed because the ones I was going with wasn't on the QVL. These ones seem to be very good: review.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reactions: raymondzzd

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
For those of your running the Asus rog strix B450i-gaming motherboard - Do you have both M.2 slots filled? And if so, does your board work? Mine does not. It seems to be a known issue that if you put a M.2 drive in slot 2 the board will just boot up and loop over and over. You can't even get into bios.

This is what is happening on my board, but a review on amazon shows the exact same thing. So I was just curious if others have experienced that as well.
I have 2, runs very well from the first boot. The board is a bit unclear which m.2 to put where. Here's a summary:
-Front slot = nvme or ssd
-back slot = nvme only
-if you use the front one with a normal m.2 ssd, you can only use the back as nvme
-if you use nmve in front and also in de back, the pcie bandwith of the graphics card is cut in half to 8x in order to run both nvme at 4x pcie.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Okay, so I've gone and bought all the parts now:

Here's my full build! (Still waiting on a few parts to be shipped here)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($774.89 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($106.16 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($384.18 @ PC-Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($181.91 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($541.27 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($203.38 @ Amazon Canada)
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($790.99)
Keyboard: Asus ROG Claymore Core Wired Gaming Keyboard ($123.17)
Mouse: Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Optical Mouse ($117.52 @ Amazon Canada)
Speakers: Creative Labs Pebble 2.0 4.4 W 2.0 Channel Speakers ($30.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Custom: Ncase M1 V6.0 ($347.41)
Total: $3669.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-06 17:34 EDT-0400

- I decided to cut down on the GPU, since I don't really care that much about gaming at Ultra right now, and it is still a very good card (and because I didn't want to push the limist of my budget that much).
- The RAM, I changed because the ones I was going with wasn't on the QVL. These ones seem to be very good: review.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Getting better and better :p few points:
-gaming oc is too thick for normal 12x25 fans. Just by a few mm.
-I cant open the ram link, but if its 3200mhz or higher and lower profile it should fit below the c14s. Qvl doesn't matter that much though. Ryzen 3000 eats it all.
-your monitor is very expensive. I have the Aorus AD27QD and the newer version (FI27 somewhat) has come out with a even better -P modelnumber later this year with displayport 1.4 for 10bit on higher refresh (Above 120hz). I would consider these.