Log Figuring out a replacement for my desktop

tadakan

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Jan 21, 2024
Hey all,
I'm working on figuring out my next computer build and could use some guidance.

Current build:
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2
Mobo: asrock x370 taichi
Cpu: ryzen 7 1800x
Cooler: coolermaster 240mm AIO
GPU: GTX 1070 Reference
Ram: just upgraded to 64gb of patriot viper steel ddr4. I had 16gb and it was struggling with all my browser tabs for work + running vm containers for our development pipeline.
Psu: be quiet straight power 11 750w modular

My priorities are as follows:
1. Timing. I have a hard deadline of October 2025. My biggest reason for needing to upgrade is that windows 10 eol is October 2025. I have some time to figure out what I'm getting, but can't (for example) wait for Black Friday 2025. I also haven't been keeping up with computer hardware releases, so I have no idea if there's anything big coming out into the next 18 months that I should be waiting for.
2. A reasonable budget. I'm aiming for about $1200. $1500 would be fine. $2000 is probably the absolute max.
3. Reasonably small. My desk has drawers on both sides and doesn't have room under it, so my computer sits on top and I don't want it to take up a ton of room.
4. Quiet. I enjoy recording for librevox and would like to try submitting demos for audible and stuff, be we live in a tiny house and I can't dedicate a room to sound treatment, or storing a portable booth. It doesn't have to be silent, but I need something quieter than my current desktop.
5. 4 monitors and Occasional gaming. I work from home and use 4 monitors. I also play games occasionally. I don't need the most amazing graphics or frame rates, but I probably need to plan for a full-size gpu. My current computer struggles a little with cyberpunk, but otherwise does what I need it to gaming-wise. I don't care about noise (within reason) while I'm gaming.
6. Aesthetics. I loathe rgb. I don't really care what it looks like so long as I can turn off any extra lights or the case blocks them out.

Wired ethernet only is fine. I won't be taking it to lan parties or anything like that.

I've been doing a bunch of reading the last few weeks, but struggling to figure out the best options to get what I want.

Any/all thoughts greatly appreciated!

mikejmcfarlane

Average Stuffer
Apr 19, 2022
Hi :-)

There are some really sophisticated custom sub 5litre builds here, I’m not in that league, more in the 10-15L case size, but lots of scope there for a fantastic SFF build.

I like to start with some cases of interest then look at completed builds for those cases on https://pcpartpicker.com/ Will give you an idea about what parts work and get builds in your budget.

The SFF.network newsfeed page is also great for inspiration. Maybe one of these stories give you a starting point:

and minisforum are releasing some amazing motherboards that might make a really compact SFF build more achievable https://smallformfactor.net/news/mi...e-core-i9-13900hx-available-for-order-at-559/

Have fun