Fell down the SFF rabbit hole from Malaysia

Hello everyone! Nice to meet you all and hope all of you are well and safe during these unusual times.

I joined this forum simply because I decided to build in the ever-so-famous Silverstone SG13 earlier this month, and as usual, am facing CPU thermal issues (even after playing with undervolt and PBO), which after countless hours of reading through Reddit and this forum's posts made me arrive to the conclusion that my airflow scheme is pretty bad and I'll need an aftermarket cooler.

Anyway, I'm very happy to be here and looking forward to interacting with the community! :D

Reactions: kazuma86

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! It's a long way to fall down into the rabbit hole :) The SG13 should be able to be set up for cooling a CPU more effectively, like using a 140mm AIO at the front.

Reactions: billabong2606

billabong2606

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Welcome to the forum ! It's a long way to fall down into the rabbit hole :) The SG13 should be able to be set up for cooling a CPU more effectively, like using a 140mm AIO at the front.

Haha thank you for having me! Yeah I was initially thinking of getting an AIO, but then the main reason I went with the SG13 is due to it's size as I was replacing my laptop. As I'm studying in a different state, I will have to travel with my PC by plane and having a liquid-based cooler will probably make things complicated. But thank you for suggesting it anyway! :D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@billabong2606 I'm sure there are good solutions people can help you with. Just an idea to make room for a large CPU cooler:

+

It won't be cheap though. But splitting off that huge chonking ATX PSU into smaller bits will allow you to find room for a larger CPU cooler. There are other, similar solutions available, depending on where you live. Or an SFX PSU with an offset bracket (like Corsair's) will atleast leverage some space.

billabong2606

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Thank you for suggesting this! I do remember seeing someone suggesting smaller PSU but I sadly forgot to look it up further. I went ahead and searched for this sort of PSU just now, and sadly this sort of PSU are not available where I'm from. I might just look at using a FLEX PSU but mounting it would be an issue, although I did see someone using it in their SG13 build.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestion! I'll scour around the forum to see what else I can do with my PC haha.