Discussion Fan Speed Adjustment BIOS vs iCUE

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I just completed an itx build & created a custom fan curve in the bios, before I start installing other software I want to make sure all temps are good. I also want to install iCUE so I don't have to go into bios whenever I want to make a change in my fans, here in lies my question:

If I already have a custom fan curve set in my bios, then install iCUE, (or any other software that allows me to control fan speeds, maybe Armoury Create), how does that play out since I already set a custom fan curve in my bios? Will there be a protocol issue? Does iCUE or any other software override the bios fan speed previously set? Do I need to set the bios fan speed curve to no fans spinning? My board is an ASUS z690i. Leaning more to iCUE, more familiar with software, tried Armoury Create awhile back & had to use uninstallation software to remove it, not a good experience.

Thanks for reading...jp

RAAM

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 24, 2024
I am working through this as well, so far not happy with the choice of the curves in iCue, maybe I overlooked some way to make my own. Asrock Z690 has a great custom fan curve solution and I thought the Asus B690 was pretty good as well. Have you worked with it yet?

Rick

Reactions: Jp42nca

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I am working through this as well, so far not happy with the choice of the curves in iCue, maybe I overlooked some way to make my own. Asrock Z690 has a great custom fan curve solution and I thought the Asus B690 was pretty good as well. Have you worked with it yet?

Rick
I've only used ASUS mb's in my builds. A few of years back I did a build & tried Armoury Create, it didn't go well. Not sure what happened but when I tried to create a fan curve it just didn't work properly. I was told by ASUS, (this was back in the day when they had technical phone support and you actually spoke to a person on the phone that tried to work through whatever issue you were experiencing), that it must have been a corrupted download & try downloading it again. I tried uninstalling Armoury Create for a clean install & it wouldn't allow....now I'm getting pissed. Come to find out I had to use a Uninstallation program that was especially designed for Armoury Create to wipe it clean, after that I said screw it & tried iCUE. Saved the program in the event I had to do this again in the future but never tried Armoury again because after my experience I saw so many people on youtube complaining about problems with the program, never went back.

Everything seems to have a bug or hiccup, maybe now its better & they have worked through the issues of the past. As for iCUE I found it difficult at first, watched many YT videos to figure it it out, not a whiz but can set what little lighting effects I have, like being able to check for updates on my ram, AIO, PSU, & keyboard, & the custom fan curve works just fine. I have Afterburner for my GPU fan curve, like to monitor my temps & usage in my tray for CPU & GPU at a glance so Afterburner works well for me.

As for iCUE once its installed it looks like you only have a drop down menu for each fan with 4 selections to choose from, that's what confused me at first, how to set a custom curve & where do you find it? Once your on the tab Default Profile & select Cooling, at the bottom under Cooling Presets click on + & that allows you to add a custom curve & name it. iCUE hasn't always been easy sailing, gave me some headaches in the past. Had a corrupted download once with them as well awhile back but for the most part I've been happy with it. Just a big leaning curve for me.

I never really thought about it & always took it for granted that a custom fan curve in a software program would override the custom fan curve I set in the bios. But it wasn't until my latest itx build this month I started to question that. I mean everything has a protocol right? I can see how a bios setting & software setting could work against each other. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this....jp

RAAM

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 24, 2024
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this, I am still learning about much of this, just got back into building PCs after 30 years away from doing so except one I built 10 years ago.

I installed Fan Control recently after watching a good video on what it can do but have not done much with it, a fair learning curve it seems but also a very good solution if one can use it. I have no lighting so not part of the equation for my system to work with as well.

For me the iCue is important for the AIO fans as not enough headers on the MB, it seems one of the fan headers is not working, was not mentioned but must be why I got a great open box deal on it:( I have new plans for cooling making it more difficult to keep wiring to a minimum and trying not to use a fan hub making it a bit of a challenge.

I will open iCue and take a good look, thanks again for this info:)

Rick

Reactions: Jp42nca

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this, I am still learning about much of this, just got back into building PCs after 30 years away from doing so except one I built 10 years ago.

I installed Fan Control recently after watching a good video on what it can do but have not done much with it, a fair learning curve it seems but also a very good solution if one can use it. I have no lighting so not part of the equation for my system to work with as well.

For me the iCue is important for the AIO fans as not enough headers on the MB, it seems one of the fan headers is not working, was not mentioned but must be why I got a great open box deal on it:( I have new plans for cooling making it more difficult to keep wiring to a minimum and trying not to use a fan hub making it a bit of a challenge.

I will open iCue and take a good look, thanks again for this info:)

Rick
Glad I could help you out. Sorry to hear about your fan header isn't working. I have considered many times about purchasing used or open box items because of the lower price but have stayed away due to what your experiencing now, especially mb's. If it goes sideways I have to dish out more dollars, just buy new & have no worries, plus warranty, & sleep better at night.

Good luck moving forward....jp

RAAM

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 24, 2024
Thanks, luckily I can work around the header as running the GPU fans(dual 120mm Arctic BioniX) from the GPU headers for now but going to install a SATA powered fan header soon and use the GPU fan curve. The AIO fans( two Arctic BioniX 140mm) off iCue which as you know is another SATA powered setup and the case fans (3x120mm Arctic PST PMW slim) off the working MB header.

The info you provided helps a great deal in sorting this out:)

I was starting to look into a different MB but this one will be fine now.

Also going to check latest BIOS and see if a newer one, any mention of the fan header issue, etc...
I bought the MB from NewEgg, been using them for a very long time and never an issue with a return if something not right and only had one or two ever.

Thanks again!
Rick