Discussion Extra power cable needed?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello,

I am about to order some custom CableMod cables for my ASUS B550-F motherboard and I am just wondering if an 8 pin EPS cable is enough or if I should also get an extra 6 pin, which this specific motherboard has? I'm aware that an 8 pin is enough, but seeing as ordering custom cables, I'm sort of wandering about wether to buy it or not, if it's REALLY necessary?

What do you guys say about this?...

Thanks,
Dawelio

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Hello,

I am about to order some custom CableMod cables for my ASUS B550-F motherboard and I am just wondering if an 8 pin EPS cable is enough or if I should also get an extra 6 pin, which this specific motherboard has? I'm aware that an 8 pin is enough, but seeing as ordering custom cables, I'm sort of wandering about wether to buy it or not, if it's REALLY necessary?

What do you guys say about this?...

Thanks,
Dawelio
This motherboard? Looks like an 8+4 EPS setup to me. The 4-pin is likely optional, and I would skip it unless you're doing LN2 overclocking or something like that - there's no way any AM4 CPU on conventional cooling comes anywhere near the power rating of a single 8-pin EPS cable (which is about 300W). Check the manual though - it might be that Asus decided to be stupid and require the extra cable.