Power Supply External PSU

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
I built a mini-ITX system a few years ago and I am starting to get the "urge" again !

Nothing fancy, mini-ITX mobo, Ryzen 7 2700U (i.e. built in graphics), 8GB memory and 512GB of NVME. So I am shopping for parts. With the super lower power on the current Ryzen part have any of the SFF case manufactures switched to external power supplies ?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Wasn't 2700U BGA only? Do you mean 2400GE instead?

But yeah this is the kind of build that really gets me going: low power, small footprint. Btw why would you need external psu for? Even 2400ge has tdp of 35W, a small 50 to 80W internal psu would suffice.

For cases, look for realan and logic supply's kits. I'm afraid not much at that size. Or the ever popular InWin Chopin.

Reactions: DarekLogic

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I built a mini-ITX system a few years ago and I am starting to get the "urge" again !

Nothing fancy, mini-ITX mobo, Ryzen 7 2700U (i.e. built in graphics), 8GB memory and 512GB of NVME. So I am shopping for parts. With the super lower power on the current Ryzen part have any of the SFF case manufactures switched to external power supplies ?

There's been a few external sff cases just for itx + cpu/igpu.

MX500 and M350 itx cases come to mind. They use the PicoPSU platform.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Considering regular Ryzen CPUs can have their TDP lowered in BIOS on most decent motherboards, I'd suspect the same to be possible for the Raven Ridge ones too? My old A8-7600 has the same option, so this isn't new.

As for cases, there's plenty of choice really. My first priority would be to figure out what CPU cooler you want, and then work your way from there, as there are 3rd party DC-DC PSU units that can fit in pretty much any ITX case, with only a single hole needed in the case to mount the connector to the power brick. Some, like Realan's units, have the option to include internal DC-DC power boards, only requiring you to get an appropriate external PSU.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

The Relan Ei7 and several of their other cases are designed around using an external power brick and a small internal DC-ATX power board.