Cooling [HELP!] Having 60+ celcius on idle (Ryzen 5 1600x & X370GTN)

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
Hello,

Today, I've just built my first mini itx system.

System configuration is like this;

Biostar X370GTN motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X cpu
MSI GTX 1080 FE gpu
2x8gb G.Skill Flare X 3200Mhz CL14 ram
Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb nvme m.2 2280 ssd
Silverstone TD03-Lite AIO cpu cooler
Silverstone SX500-LG psu
Silverstone SG13B case

It's been 5 years since I built my last desktop pc. Having used laptops all the years, I finally decided and built my first mini itx system described above. However, I am having very high cpu temperatures when the system not under load. The temps change between 55-70 celcius degree even I don't do anything and the fan spins always fast, the system runs loud.

By the time, I just realized something. When I touch the screws of the cooler, the left one is much hotter than the right one. Even the DVI port on the back is hot when I touch it. Can VRMs be faulty?

I am quite newbie on these things, please help me! What could be wrong and what can I do?

Thanks

ps: All the parts I bought are new.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Have you removed and reinstalled the CPU cooler? a bad mount of the cooler could lead to this, with heat getting stuck near the CPU socket, hence the heatload there. Also, apart from the PSU, are there any other cooling fans in the case? You may be having issues getting the heat out of the case and thus the case becoming heatlogged.

Reactions: Phuncz

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
I mounted the cooler twice, still nothing changed. Also, PSU fan facing upwards, not inside the case. Do you think it matters that much?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
rotate it so it is pulling air from inside the case. Do you have any case fans installed? that's a pretty hot system to be running in a small case without intake fans

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
No, I haven't any fan except the AIO cooler's fan. I installed it as an intake fan on the front. Gpu handles itself since it's reference card with blower fan.
The other thing is; when I play some games not too demanding the cpu temps don't go over 75 celcius degree.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
rotate it so it is pulling air from inside the case. Do you have any case fans installed? that's a pretty hot system to be running in a small case without intake fans
I just flipped the psu, it helped just a bit but the temps still changing between 54-63 celcius degree. Also, the system seems to be running too loud.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
No, I haven't any fan except the AIO cooler's fan. I installed it as an intake fan on the front. Gpu handles itself since it's reference card with blower fan.
The other thing is; when I play some games not too demanding the cpu temps don't go over 75 celcius degree.

So this is your cooler right?

And you have the fan as the intake, blowing directly into the rad which then goes into your case right? That could explain slightly elevated intake air and reduced airflow. I think you've built a toaster.

I noticed that the biostar GTN series skimped a little

So they put a heatsink on the CPU phases, but as you can see not on the other three phases.
That corresponds to where you have heat issues.
And your M.2 is radiating a little additional heat into your motherboard too.

My suggestions:

I don't know if there is any room to add a second fan to the radiator or not but that would be the best idea.

-Is there a fan filter in front? Get rid of it. Reduces airflow.

-You can just heatsink everything. You need VRM heatsinks. You can buy some small copper heatsinks from enzotech. And you can also add an aluminum heatsink to the chipset. Finally buy some thermal pads and copper shims set and attach to back of motherboard on m.2 area, cpu socket area, and vrm area.

-Also improve the cable management, move all the cables to the edge of the case so they don't obstruct the limited airflow from the single fan.

-If you still have problems then just fit another case fan (wherever it fits, maybe low profile fan) to blow over the board area and just zip tie it in there. Tie it to the rad cables if you have to.

-Also, you could zip tie an exhaust fan behind your PSU.

Last edited:

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Didn't the x versions have issues reporting higher temperatures than they were at?
Is your bios up to date?

Reactions: NateDawg72

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
Just took a few photos of the system;

I placed the fan behind the radiator because it is adviced like this on silverstone's manual.

For the extra fan, I don't think so I can add. Also, there is a dust filter in the front.

Didn't the x versions have issues reporting higher temperatures than they were at?
Is your bios up to date?

I didn't update bios but seems it is already on the latest version. Is there any necessary to re-install it?

Last edited:

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, it didn't affect. However, according to Aida64 cpu temps fluctuates between 35-40C and the cpu diode is running hot between 55-60C. I couldn't see this because I'm using trial versions of both softwares. However, the fan is still loud and spins fast always.

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
It looks like you have the fan pulling through the radiator and therefore exhausting the hot CPU air back into the case, this will be increasing your system temperatures.

A fan pulling through the radiator will sound loud due to turbulence and generate little airflow due to restriction. I would recommend the first thing you should try is to flip the fan so that its blowing into the radiator. This should firstly reduce the fan noise as the open side of the fan is where the turbulence noise is generated, try and remove wires out of the path of the fan by at least 3cm, secondly you should get higher flow through the radiator and therefore lower temps (its easier for a fan to push through a restriction than pull through a restriction), and thirdly the heat produced by the CPU is exhausted straight out the front of the case so your overall temps should reduce as well.

One thing I found from owning an SG13 in the past is that when the front fan is set an exhaust (negative pressure setup) the rear compartment of the case (under the PSU) becomes a dead zone for airflow, this is because air is pulled through the large GPU side vents and then travels to the front of the case (path of least resistance), hardly any airflow is pulled across the rear of the case so your motherboard sees very little passive cooling.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
I flipped the fan, to be honest it didn't lower the cpu diode temps.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
Are you running an overclock? Your VCORE voltages look very high.

No, I didn't set any overclock for cpu, also I don't understand these things. Have been using laptops all the years and never overclocked. How can I check it?

I only set the ram on 3200mhz CL14 and +0.120V, didn't touch the cpu.

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
I believe the X models of ryzen have a 20c offset on what the actual temperature is in contrast to what the diode says.

Also with xfr on the X models they will boost the vcore somewhere around 1.45v.

I'm not sure if the latest bios phased this out or not.

I've got a none x 1700 but that's what I remember folks talking about with the X variations

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
On bios screen cpu voltage seems around 1.3v
On windows, cpuZ shows core voltage generally on 1.25, sometimes it peaks to 1.45v

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Sounds about right then the peak voltage is when the cpu is boosting.

Now.. Anyone know how he can turn off xfr and keep it at a locked frequency?

Edit

Also download amd ryzen master software that "should" show the true temperature without offset.

Last edited:

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
I'm suspicious also about the nvme ssd. it works now at 67C which is too hot for an ssd.

edit: it was temporary I guess, ssd temperature is generally 55C.

update: Maybe you're right about the temperature offset. I've just installed AMD Ryzen Master and it shows about 20C lower temps between 42-44C but still fluctuates up to 54C rapidly.

Last edited:

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
54c is fine the chip will shut off at I think 75-80c not bad temp for the size of the case can see about changing the fan out with a better one if you really want to

Reactions: NateDawg72