GPU entry level quadro. is it worth it?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
hey guys, I know quite a lot of you do cad work and I have a limited budget for this.
I don't need that much power but I was thinking on getting a quadro for my rig. as radeon wx cards arent available here.
I do mostly : case design, furniture design, interior design, illustration and render, and most of it is personal or colege projects so its not that many parts anyway.
I guess case design is where I would get the most use of a workstation card, because of the number of pieces in my mockup files.

for my design projects is mostly adobe software, and I know their software is optimized for budget systems so peak performance is around 1050 levels, as its the same as a 1080 (for photoshop which i use the most).

I'm more interested in solidworks performance, as its more of a deal breaker for me.
I know its quite lame but I'm between a 1050 in the gaming side, or a used quadro k620 or a quadro p400. the p600 its a bit over my budget for know. my current CPU is the i7 4790.

what do you guys think? is the quadro p400 any better than igpu? I'm better of getting a game card anyway?

I almost don't game at all. my hobby is working

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
short answer: buy the best geforce you can afford

as solidworks, visualise and blender will prefer cuda cores and clockspeed over certified drivers.
(and the only feature you would miss out on with a geforce is realview in solidworks, and this can be forced to work on geforce so you don't really miss out on anything i know of)

Reactions: owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Thanks guys!

good point about blender. I love the rendering of it but I never really bothered to do gpu render but it can actually be usefull with a gaming card.
I can get a low profile 1050 ti for the same price of a quadro p600 here, and if I got a decent gpu I might go back to gaming,

so, to make it clear, if I don't use live view (which I dont care) and I'm worried about solidworks small assembly performance (which I'm lacking a bit right now) then a 1050/1050 ti would be better or at same levels of a quadro p400 / p600?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thanks guys!

good point about blender. I love the rendering of it but I never really bothered to do gpu render but it can actually be usefull with a gaming card.
I can get a low profile 1050 ti for the same price of a quadro p600 here, and if I got a decent gpu I might go back to gaming,

so, to make it clear, if I don't use live view (which I dont care) and I'm worried about solidworks small assembly performance (which I'm lacking a bit right now) then a 1050/1050 ti would be better or at same levels of a quadro p400 / p600?
More or less. The nice thing about them is that prices haven't gone up too much with mining, so getting a "proper" GPU for the task is more financially acceptable compared to the alternative. :)

Reactions: owliwar

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
Thanks guys!

solidworks will run even big assemblys on a 1050(ti) as long as you are not building a nucleair reactor :)
(not more than a certain amount of parts like al the fins of a heatsink, these will be displayed as a rectangle to prevent stuttering during fast movements on screen)

and especially for rendering i would go for the 1050, as the quadro's are ussless under a quadro p2000 for this.

as an example, i made this 4k render (of an upcoming project around the asrock deskmini gtx, shhhh) on my 1070 in 2 min. I tried it on one of our school computers with a quadro k620 and after 90min turned it off because we had to leave.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
solidworks will run even big assemblys on a 1050(ti) as long as you are not building a nucleair reactor

For shits and / or giggles, from the Solid Works EULA
Neither the Offering nor any of its components are intended for use in the design or operation of nuclear facilities, life support systems, aircraft or other activities in which the failure of the Offering or such components, or both, could lead to death, personal injury, or severe physical or environmental damage.