Power Supply efficient square brick with bendable 2pin and barrel plug for deskmini 310?

damex

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
hello,
i am going to pick asrock deskmini 310 soon.
i am not happy about 600g weight of stock power adapter and neither i am happy about all that space it takes. i need small and elegant solution (portable).

i will use that hardware inside deskmini 310:
- 2x16gb so-dimm ddr4 2400 from Samsung
- i5 8500t
- noctua nh-l9i
- samsung 960 pro 1t
- 2x crucial mx500 0.5t

no graphics usage planned and i can easily throttle down (through bios?) cpu to lower wattage if necessary.

i am looking at formfactor like apple or xiaomi has on their big usb-c chargers.

something in formfactor like that:
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/rev...iew-i-still-cant-believe-thing-only-costs-s20

something like that:
- barrel plug
- <=90w of power
- bendable 2pin coming straight out of power brick
- would be nice if cable is detachable

is there something decent i could check out?

it might be another tricky option... but could we use usb-c charger with some active adapter to power a device that has barrel plug?

i am in SEA/Vietnam so not everything might be available here (or could be ordered to be delivered here) ;/
thank you.

Last edited:

damex

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
thank you but how about efficiency? it could be ridiculously inefficient and we do not know about quality of that power supply ;/

maybe there is any other alternative except *ADP-65* and its clones?

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
thank you but how about efficiency? it could be ridiculously inefficient and we do not know about quality of that power supply ;/

maybe there is any other alternative except *ADP-65* and its clones?

It is an oem quality power supply. It is not any different than the other units you are using. I'm not sure why efficiency is a concern for external units.

damex

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
it is simpy better to use that power efficiency wise ( i plan to get coupe of machines like i post above). inefficient power bricks tend to be pretty hot... i will run it 24/7 ;/

since we do not have a proper details about tests and specs (except output), then we could just conclude that it is some noname power brick.

honestly i am not brave enough to get and use that (i have more faith for a brick from some big brands even if we do not a proper tests). i ;(

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
it is simpy better to use that efficiency wise ( i plan to get coupe of machines like i post above).

since we do not have a proper details about tests and specs (except output), then we could just conclude that it is some noname power brick.

honestly i am not brave enough to get and use that (i have more faith for a brick from some big brands even if we do not a proper tests) ;(

Lol.

These are oem bricks. They are all from the same factory. These builds are idling at 25W. If you increase 5% efficiency on 20 of them and you save $2 in a year. You save more money picking up quarters. Efficiency is a non issue unless you're running 1000s of these in a data center.

https://store.asus.com/us/item/201501AM080000048/ASUS-90W-Notebook-Power-Adapter

If you want a brand name one.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewizzard1

damex

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
Lol.

These are oem bricks. They are all from the same factory. These builds are idling at 25W. If you increase 5% efficiency on 20 of them and you save $2 in a year. You save more money picking up quarters. Efficiency is a non issue unless you're running 1000s of these in a data center.

https://store.asus.com/us/item/201501AM080000048/ASUS-90W-Notebook-Power-Adapter

If you want a brand name one.
shouldn't i worry about heating of the brick running 24/7 most of the time ? or maybe about quality of the components used ? 3rd party ones might have unexpected shortcuts for the price cut ;/

i plan to eventally run 4 of them

that brick from 'asus store' needs a separate cable with 2pin on it... it does not have a built'in bendable 2pin ;/ already checked local asus retailer for a brick like that ...

maybe there is an alternative with similar 'cable coming from top + built'in 2pin' and <90w? i see that bendable 2pin is a PITA ;/

i see there is dart 65w adapter... which goes over 120$ shipped here ;/

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
shouldn't i worry about heating of the brick running 24/7 most of the time ? or maybe about quality of the components used ? 3rd party ones might have unexpected shortcuts for the price cut ;/

i plan to eventally run 4 of them

that brick from 'asus store' needs a separate cable with 2pin on it... it does not have a built'in bendable 2pin ;/ already checked local asus retailer for a brick like that ...

maybe there is an alternative with similar 'cable coming from top + built'in 2pin' and <90w? i see that bendable 2pin is a PITA ;/

i see there is dart 65w adapter... which goes over 120$ shipped here ;/

What do you mean by bendable 2 pin? You mean the DC cable? Cause I have never seen a brick without a DC cable.

I would just replace the brick as they fail. If you need industrial built like a tank ones then you shouldn't be looking at these square consumer bricks.

damex

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
What do you mean by bendable 2 pin? You mean the DC cable? Cause I have never seen a brick without a DC cable.

I would just replace the brick as they fail. If you need industrial built like a tank ones then you shouldn't be looking at these square consumer bricks.

i called bendable 2pin - 2pin connector that could be put back in casing for transportation / pushed back for use like on the adapter you first linked https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K73Z1QM/?tag=theminutiae-20 here

If you need industrial built like a tank ones then you shouldn't be looking at these square consumer bricks.
i don't think such adapters even exist ;/
i think closest you could get in industrial use is properly configured for failover dual psu... i don't think there is even a place for sff pcs ;p

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
i called bendable 2pin - 2pin connector that could be put back in casing for transportation / pushed back for use like on the adapter you first linked https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K73Z1QM/?tag=theminutiae-20 here

i don't think such adapters even exist ;/
i think closest you could get in industrial use is properly configured for failover dual psu... i don't think there is even a place for sff pcs ;p

2 pin to 2 pin? Pin is a cylindrical shape, or is used when talking connectors. I think you mean, foldable AC prongs (or blades). Not "pins." It is important to use the correct technical terms.

There are plenty of industrial bricks. They're not the cute square form factor you like, but Delta and Meanwell make plenty of regular industrial ones.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?FV=ffec6676,fff40009&WT.z_slp_buy=delta_ac-dc

damex

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
i tried that psu from amazon/aliexpress.

Quality is bad. It works but I wouldn’t dare to run my hardware of that power brick.

- it does not sit firmly on a socket (weak prongs compared to apple prongs)
- it gets hot (stock acbel is not getting hot)
- whole construction does not seem to be well built

Well... power brick output is within the norms.

Maybe there is some small (let’s sat <=2L) device that can provide power (efficiently) to many19v devices at the same time?