Power Supply Dynamo 360 Necro?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So just to clarify the purpose of the Dynamo 360 and how it differs from the HDPlex 400W, this is not meant to be a standalone unit for a standard 24 pin ATX motherboard. What this board does is the following:

1.) Takes a 16-24V DC input from a brick exactly like all of the HDPlex units
2.) Passes this input through as an unchanged 16-24V output which allows it to feed another DC powered unit. By design this is the Dynamo Mini (for all intents and purposes the same as the HDPlex 200W unit) or alternatively another board with onboard 16-24V capacity (ie. Mini STX motherboard which utilizes 19V in).
3.) Converts input voltage to 12V, 5V and 3.3V as needed for functions #4 and #5
4.) Provides two 8 pin connectors specifically for PCIe plugs.
5.) Provides a 4 pin power out for SATA

Prior to discontinuing the Dynamo 360 for personal/life reasons a year or two ago I had actually had a new version designed that changed in the following ways:

1.) 4 pin SATA out was swapped to the 16-24V DC out. This allowed for the Dynamo Mini or equivalent to have a better compatibility output as well as putting all outputs at a single edge of the board.
2.) Dual 6 pin inputs at the input end. While the eventual goal would be to have a DC merging feature like the HDPlex 800W apparently does, due to design and cost constraints the first DC-IN was to be able to feed the entire board while the second would be a dedicated feed through to the 4 pin 16-24V DC-OUT while the first would supply power exclusively to the PCIe headers. The intention of this was to allow for dedicated 200W AC-DC unit to be passed through to the Dynamo Mini or equivalent while the primary AC-DC supply would be able to supply the PCIe functions. This would essentially allow for the HDPlex 400W AC-DC to power a GPU while a dedicated 200W AC-DC would power the Plugless. The passthrough simply allowed for a cleaner cabling setup than running two completely isolated systems (200W pigtailed to the Plugless and 400W exclusively to the Dynamo 360).

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
Personally I'm interested in the original design with pass-through and not a system that requires two power bricks, though I do see the appeal.

Reactions: HiIamnew123

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Kmpkt Friday I disassembled my LZ7 system to see if I could fit a 120mm AIO in there (it didn't if I also wanted a fan on the radiator...) and cleaned out the components. The KMPKT Dynamo Mini is in that build and is such a beautiful piece of tech, I'm glad you are bringing that excellent product back and hope you're doing well.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Kmpkt

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Personally I'm interested in the original design with pass-through and not a system that requires two power bricks, though I do see the appeal.

What the new version does is eliminates the SATA 4 pin header and replaces it with a 4 pin DC out which mates more appropriately with the KMPKT Mini/HDPLEX 200W. The existing 6 pin that WAS the DC-OUT on the first version is essentially rendered useless with this change which is why I even added the second brick pass through option. Alternatively I may just be able to do a single input and do something else with the board space occupied by the second 6 pin for the pass through. Thoughts?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Alternatively (Having just spoken to J-Hack) I could have the 12V end of the board output two PCIe 8 pins as well as 1 4 pin 12V DC out that works with the M2426. Could then have 16-24V DC-IN and 16-24V DC out on the other end as I did with the original design (may opt for 8 pin in and 4 pin out rather than 6 pin for both). Thoughts?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I would do 8 pin in, and 4 pin out for DC-In side.

I recommend the DC-OUT be 2x 8 pin, and 4 pin for M2426. You also need at least a SYNC and 5VSB. Currently using the JST-XH on the M2426.

What this does - slightly reduced costs on the whole set up. But the best improvement is really how low profile it is compared to the HDPLEX 200.

Housele

What's an ITX?
New User
Sep 7, 2019
I'm interested in a new and updated version

If you can make this run a special 'Necro' edition with
  • a different color scheme for the main unit (all black maybe? gold?)
  • a new cable color
  • addressable RGB lighting (or an option to fully shut off LEDs)
  • your autograph somewhere
  • a keycap with your logo included
  • or literally anything to visually distinguish it from the previous version
I'll buy it for sure

Reactions: Fitchew

fureien

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 18, 2020
hi i am thinking of an itx build similar to Dan a4 case
the issue with that case is there is little space for watercooling
and also i am concerned about power supply to run a rtx 3080

would it be possible to create a brickless solution by daisy chaining a dynamo 360 + a jhack or gury 24pin dcatx solution with a net result that powers both a 3700x cpu and rtx3080, in a form factor less than a SF750 psu (and be brickless)

reading through this thread, the only way to be brickless would be to internaly mount say 2 HDplex 400W dc dc units, which combined with the dynamo unit would end up 3/4 way of a SFX psu anyway right? the real saving is the 24pin connector

i was hoping to add a radiator to the case beause the asetek solution is a very tight fit.
Also for vertical cases like the sentry or zcase p50, there is only space for a radiator if you get rid of the PSU or use a short gpu. so i was hoping this solution would address that?

thanks

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've been otherwise occupied so sorry for the lack of updates. Looks like about 20-30 units spoken for so far and my MOQ is likely 200. If interested parties want to put quantities in here it might help.

Reactions: Phuncz