Power Supply Dynamo 360 Necro?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just thought I'd see what the level of interest in the community would be for doing another run of the Dynamo 360. Would likely need a significant quantity (ie. 100+) to get it done. Feeling up to taking up some SFF stuff again after a rough couple years. Post if you are legitimately interested in this thread please.

Circuit_Bear

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2019
Im SUUPPPPEEERRR INTERESTED! I will take 2 MAYBE EVEN 3 so many things I could do with them. As long has it still has that 19v passthrough!
Post it up on reddit. You will get even more attention.
Also the Russians I think will enjoy this too as I know they have been eyeing psu of this kind.
I believe Jack is also thinking of making a Distro 400w version of the dynamo 360 or something of this kind. BEAT HIM TO IT :|

I have been hoping to replace this beefy hd plex 400 for this build! PLEAAASEE I NEED ONE!

Pierrem

Case Bender
New User
Mar 28, 2017
I would be interested too. I am already using J-Hack 360 version but having the possibility to use 19v would be more than welcomed!

Reactions: HiIamnew123

HiIamnew123

Efficiency Noob
May 23, 2018
I would be very interested in a dynamo (or 2)! I'm hoping to use one in a brickless S4 build and possibly for other projects in the future!

Circuit_Bear

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2019
For those of us with short memories can you give us a rundown of what the 360 does and it's benefits compared to other solutions? Thanks!
This is the layout. It is a 12v Dc-Dc Psu with a 16-24v input and the most important in my opinion, a 19 v passthrough allowing you to power motherboards with 19v specs or pair the 360 with another dc-dc psu like the hd plex 200 for 560w!
The photos are from the man himself at Kmpkt.

Last edited:

vidsgame

Cable Smoosher
Oct 12, 2020
Ma
This is the layout. It is a 12v Dc-Dc Psu with a 16-24v input and the most important in my opinion, a 19 v passthrough allowing you to power motherboards with 19v specs or pair the 360 with another dc-dc psu like the hd plex 200 for 560w!
The photos are from the man himself at Kmpkt.

My main question is, Does the Dynamo function the same way as a HDPlex 400 DC-ATX or does this function more like a converter? It seems to be more DC-ATX in function but for all I know it could be something else entirely. Is it possibly an all in one solution, like a PSU broken up into 2?

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
Judging by the pictures, this is essentially a DC-DC converter, where the 19V passthrough can be used to hook up a DC-ATX such as the HDPlex Mini.
The 2x 8pin are the same as a PCIe 8pins and can be used for a GPU. The 4pin can be used for SATA power if you need something with 5v. Then it's got the power_on and sync so you can sync up say the Dynamo and a Deskmini to power a GPU.

Reactions: Circuit_Bear

vidsgame

Cable Smoosher
Oct 12, 2020
Judging by the pictures, this is essentially a DC-DC converter, where the 19V passthrough can be used to hook up a DC-ATX such as the HDPlex Mini.
The 2x 8pin are the same as a PCIe 8pins and can be used for a GPU. The 4pin can be used for SATA power if you need something with 5v. Then it's got the power_on and sync so you can sync up say the Dynamo and a Deskmini to power a GPU.
So, the most simplest use case would be a "brick" except you could put the brick inside a case (like the S4 Mini)? Essentially I'm asking whether it could pair up with this piece: https://hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html to form a brickless solution for the S4 mini.

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
You'll still need an AC-DC such as a laptop power brick or the revoccases brickmod or a HDplex AC-DC. This is a DC-DC. It gives more flexibility and the possibility power a more powerful system than say a HDPlex 200, so long as your AC-DC can handle it.

Circuit_Bear

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2019
So, the most simplest use case would be a "brick" except you could put the brick inside a case (like the S4 Mini)? Essentially I'm asking whether it could pair up with this piece: https://hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html to form a brickless solution for the S4 mini.
I think you mean something more like this? To form a brick less build.
In theory you could also pair the 400 dc -dc from hd plex using the 19v passthrough.

vidsgame

Cable Smoosher
Oct 12, 2020
I think you mean something more like this? To form a brick less build.
In theory you could also pair the 400 dc -dc from hd plex using the 19v passthrough.
Exactly. Except they are out of stock on that part. So, I was looking for a replacement. I'm looking to put the 1080 gtx from Gigabyte into the case. Looks like they updated their status from Out of Stock to Late October just today.

I'm a newbie considering anything electrical so I would definitely appreciate just a straight out replacement for that part however this 19v passthrough concept could work depending on space and ease of puttogetherness. I see no 400 dc-dc offering from HDPlex, unless I'm missing something.