Power Supply Dual AC/DC setup for powered GPUs

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
I wonder, if it is possible to power a GPU (connected via 300mm 16x pcie riser cable) straight with a 12V AC/DC unit? Is there any adaptor on the market, thats connecting the AC/DC Unit to the 6 or 8pin connector of the GPU?
I am using the 160xt paired with the 192W AC/DC unit and looked at the single 4pin end of the adaptor that ships with it thinking, that it looks much like a pcie power connector. The only threads i found were about powering a GPU directly through the DC/ATX Unit (like HDPlex does) or running a dual pico setup.

Thanks for helping :)

Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
It is possible and has been done a few times here. Petricor's dual PSU S4M is probably one of the most document builds. I believe he powered his 1080 directly from a Meanwell 12v AC/DC unit.

You're talking about using two 12v power bricks right? It should work the same, I don't think there is an existing adapter though. If you have a soldering iron or crimping tools then it shouldn't be too complicated to make your own adapter using the 160 XT adapter and a sacrificial 6+2 pin cable - snip off the 4 pin and solder/crimp the 6+2 pin wires to the adapter :) keeping track of which wires are 12v and ground of course, 6+2pin has 3 12v pins and 5 ground/sense

Reactions: Advokatrix

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. Unfortunately, I dont have a crimping tool but maybe I can ask some friends if they have one which I can use :)

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
For just splicing the wires together after snipping you can use butt connectors, those are simple to crimp and you can use any basic wire cutter / crimper combo tool for those, should be cheap.

Soldering would look nicer but both will get the job done

Last edited:

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
You're talking about using two 12v power bricks right? It should work the same, I don't think there is an existing adapter though. If you have a soldering iron or crimping tools then it shouldn't be too complicated to make your own adapter using the 160 XT adapter and a sacrificial 6+2 pin cable - snip off the 4 pin and solder/crimp the 6+2 pin wires to the adapter :) keeping track of which wires are 12v and ground of course, 6+2pin has 3 12v pins and 5 ground/sense

I was just browsing for a 6pin (not 6+2pin) extension cable. What AWG should the wires have?

I checked the build log above... It looked like, he linked the two power circuits somehow?!
Is there really no additional communication needed (the motherboard circuit telling the gpu circuit when to supply the gpu with power via the 6pin connection? Or is the gpu doing that? Im still a bit unsure.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Get @Thehack 's One2 distro 400.
Does everything you wanted. As long as both your supplies are 12V, which, you should, if you're using pico 160xt already.

I don't see just the distro 400 being sold (didn't look very hard) though.

It looked like, he linked the two power circuits somehow?!
Is there really no additional communication needed

Yes, and he did use a load switch. Basically detects presence of voltage on a fan header and turns the gpu on/off accordingly. It is custom made by a member here too.

One2 distro does the same but by replicating ps_on signal from motherboard (as a result of you pressing the power button).

Reactions: NateDawg72

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Does everything you wanted. As long as both your supplies are 12V, which, you should, if you're using pico 160xt already.

Yes, and he did use a load switch. Basically detects presence of voltage on a fan header and turns the gpu on/off accordingly. It is custom made by a member here too.

One2 distro does the same but by replicating ps_on signal from motherboard (as a result of you pressing the power button).
You can order just the One2 Distro 400 on that page if you select "no plugin board"

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017

So to be clear, I do need that device for proper operation or is it just something to simplify my setup?
Sorry for those noob like questions, trying to get the hang of all those non-standard sff-powering options :/

Edit: Since I already have the pico 160xt I thought, I just add another 160/192w ac/dc unit for the gpu and be done :)
Maybe going with a G-Unique atx-adaptor with a 330W dell psu might be the better solution (still thinking about it)

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
It is needed so that your gpu turns on when your motherboard does and turns off when it's off. Otherwise if you leave them plugged your gpu will just be getting power all the time.

Proper or not, beats me.

Some gpu's fan will spin when power is available, some will not. But even if the fan doesn't spin doesn't mean nothing on the board is powered, because nothing on the spec covers that so you're on your own.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
So to be clear, I do need that device for proper operation or is it just something to simplify my setup?
Sorry for those noob like questions, trying to get the hang of all those non-standard sff-powering options :/
It is the better way to do it, but it isn't required for operation. I'd recommend it as it will help you avoid a lot of potential minor issues.

I have my PC setup the "dumb" way, where my 12v PSU connects directly to my GPU and to my pico psu on the motherboard. This means my GPU & pico psu are receiving power whenever the PSU is on, even if the PC is off. This is a big YMMV area - some video cards will run the fans and/or LEDs if power is connected, motherboards may have LEDs on, I've had a motherboard + Pico combo that couldn't boot if it was connected to the PSU for more than 3 seconds without being turned on (Powering the PSU on/off would let it boot). My current Video Card, Motherboard, and PicoPSU don't have issues so that's why I haven't invested in a smarter solution.

Reactions: Choidebu

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Understood. Now I appreciate my former decision even more, running just a 75w gpu. But now I do understand everything better. Thanks!

Just a bummer, that I sold my 1050ti and the 1650 is kind of a disappointment. I had a flex-atx unit before to run a 125w gpu but those 40mm psu fans are jet engines and I couldnt tolorate that. Maybe I just keep running 75w gpus while surpressing my desire for a slightly more powerful and more bang4buck gpu.
My last hope is that nvidia is dropping the msrp of the 1650 when the 1650 super gets released OR amd is finally presenting a competitive 75w (rx 5300?) gpu to the 1650.

Again, big thanks to you guys :)

Reactions: Choidebu

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Understood. Now I appreciate my former decision even more, running just a 75w gpu. But now I do understand everything better. Thanks!

Just a bummer, that I sold my 1050ti and the 1650 is kind of a disappointment. I had a flex-atx unit before to run a 125w gpu but those 40mm psu fans are jet engines and I couldnt tolorate that. Maybe I just keep running 75w gpus while surpressing my desire for a slightly more powerful and more bang4buck gpu.
My last hope is that nvidia is dropping the msrp of the 1650 when the 1650 super gets released OR amd is finally presenting a competitive 75w (rx 5300?) gpu to the 1650.

Again, big thanks to you guys :)
I dunno, the 1650 has like 20-30% more performance thank the 1050ti i think that's pretty decent!

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
so i ended up still trying out the aforementioned plan to power a gpu with the 12v 192w power brick. i bought a new miniDin to miniFIT-JR adaptor to solder a 6pin peg adaptor to the old adaptor and here is what i got:

the right adaptor is the one i got with the 160xt + 192w brick, the left adaptor (16 awg) is the one i got in the mail today. Im a bit speechless because the small and thin one is supposed to deliver up to 192w (which it does) and im not so sure anymore if i should solder the 6pin peg adaptor to it. additionally i noticed the discoloring of the plastic on the left 12v pin.

Anyone is having this too?

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
so i ended up still trying out the aforementioned plan to power a gpu with the 12v 192w power brick. i bought a new miniDin to miniFIT-JR adaptor to solder a 6pin peg adaptor to the old adaptor and here is what i got:

the right adaptor is the one i got with the 160xt + 192w brick, the left adaptor (16 awg) is the one i got in the mail today. Im a bit speechless because the small and thin one is supposed to deliver up to 192w (which it does) and im not so sure anymore if i should solder the 6pin peg adaptor to it. additionally i noticed the discoloring of the plastic on the left 12v pin.

Anyone is having this too?

Doesn't really matter. As long as it's at least 20 awg. The longer distance it is the thicker the conductor needs to be. For 200w, two pair 18 awg is plenty up to like a meter.

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
got the 6pin gpu connector today too. lets do some soldering work later that day.
if i do not succeed in running the pc with a dual power brick setup "the dumb way" (looking to buy the 1650 super) i might just try to get a 1650 for cheap (used) and continue running on 75w gpu's.

Last edited: