Storage Drive Failing?

Knoxtane

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 15, 2020
Hey all, I've never really known when or how to find out if my Drive has ever failed as I've NEVER experienced it before. However, I was watching TV for about 15 minutes and my PC had been on for maybe 2 or 3 hours and I was on it prior to me watching TV, when I came back I saw this (This is NOT my Picture, just the same information I saw):

I restarted my PC, downloaded Crystal Disk Info and ran the program. With that being said, I did some research and saw that my m.2 drive (that came with this PC) is a "Lenovo30" 512GB NVMe SSD. Seems these are "carbon" drives and have been known to hang, fail or be DOA a lot of the time.

Something I also am not entirely sure of is does my board actually support PCIe Gen 4? with the screenshot right above CPUZ says it does under the "Graphics" Interface but does this mean the same thing for M.2 NVMe drives?

I might just play it safe and order a new drive anyways

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The SSD you mentioned seems to be a laptop NVMe SSD, which probably requires cooling (heatsink + airflow over it) to perform well under stress. NVMe SSDs can overheat without cooling and with heavier usage.

You don't need to worry about PCIe version mismatch (higher version supported than device can use) as it's backwards compatible.

Knoxtane

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 15, 2020
The SSD you mentioned seems to be a laptop NVMe SSD, which probably requires cooling (heatsink + airflow over it) to perform well under stress. NVMe SSDs can overheat without cooling and with heavier usage.

You don't need to worry about PCIe version mismatch (higher version supported than device can use) as it's backwards compatible.
So if my PCIe is Gen 3.0 I can use a Gen 4 NVMe but it would just run at the Gen 3.0 speeds/transfer rates?

*EDIT* Nevermind, google answered the question for me. it would work, just at Gen 3.0 speeds.

Thank you!

Reactions: Phuncz