BooTec

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
Hi all,
This is the latest case build that I made using my DIY CNC. The focus was on good thermals and noise performance rather than building as small as possible. The case provides some room for cable management behind the SSD bracket and the motherboard. For an SFF build, the interior therefore looks quite clean.
I always try to incorporate natural materials in my builds and that's why I opted for an aluminium/wood hybrid frame with wooden panels.

Looking forward to your feedbacks :)
BR Roman

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 6, 2019
That looks awesome! Do you have any problems with spray paint scraping off the aluminum easily? Which glue did you use to join the wood to the aluminum?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hi all,
This is the latest case build that I made using my DIY CNC. The focus was on good thermals and noise performance rather than building as small as possible. The case provides some room for cable management behind the SSD bracket and the motherboard. For an SFF build, the interior therefore looks quite clean.
I always try to incorporate natural materials in my builds and that's why I opted for an aluminium/wood hybrid frame with wooden panels.

Looking forward to your feedbacks :)
BR Roman

Very nice! I'd like to see more wood cases.

BooTec

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
That looks awesome! Do you have any problems with spray paint scraping off the aluminum easily? Which glue did you use to join the wood to the aluminum?
Thank you Shatrod. I used high-quality spray paint so the adhesion is pretty good. In areas where metal rubs against the panels (e.g. GPU slots) it's scaping off but only inside the case. Definitely not a solution for serial production but good enough for a prototype.

BooTec

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
Very nice! I'd like to see more wood cases.
Thank you Windfall. I agree but one reason is definitely that it's difficult to manufacture thin panels that keep their dimensional stability. For prototypes, however, I think it's a great material to work with.

Reactions: Windfall