Power Supply Delta DPS-400AB-20A Crackling Noise

Katsuchiyo

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 3, 2020
Hi all,

A few days ago I recieved the Delta DPS-400AB-20A PSU for my Geeek A35 build. As I recieved my other components today (motherboard etc), I started testing everything out.

However, when starting the PSU I' m hearing a crackling noise all the time, like this thing is going to explode. I immediatly disconnected it from my motherboard and graphic card, because I don't to damage them. Does anyone of you have experience with this? Is it safe to use the PSU? or is it able to fix?

Please check out the video:
Regards,

Simon

Katsuchiyo

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 3, 2020
Btw.. for the ones who are wondering... I opened the case to check out if I would see any sparks

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Hard to hear in vid(ambient noise here), but if the fan is PWM controlled some of the wort offenders make a clicking or buzzing noise(and not always RPM related). If you can disconnect the fan easily maybe try that to see if it goes away.

Katsuchiyo

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 3, 2020
I just disconnected the fan and started the PSU again. The sound is still there, it's really like a arcing sound (electricity).

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I just disconnected the fan and started the PSU again. The sound is still there, it's really like a arcing sound (electricity).
Dug out the headphones, very strange. I wouldn't expect any voltages high enough to actually arc a significant distance. But ceramic caps in a switching circuit can exhibit piezo like vibration, look for those (disc caps especially) pressed up against another component maybe probe around with finger and latex glove see if you can dampen it.

Katsuchiyo

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 3, 2020
Stevo, thanks for your reply. I inspected the caps and tried the probe them from each other. Unfortunately, it didn't lead to any results. I listened closer to it, and I have the feeling the sound is coming from the AC/DC converts (see the circled area in the picture).

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I had that experience before. Silverstone SST-ST60F-SG, the one included when you purchase SG08 case.

After working fine for around 4 years, I started to hear crackling noise. One day it even made noise when the computer is off (but still connected to power outlet).

Unless you're an electrical engineer, the general consensus is that you don't want to have a PSU that make such crackling noise. So I did what people told me: I threw away that PSU.