Feb 10, 2024
Hello SFF,

I am considering purchasing this computer and numbers don't add up:

ComponentWatt
W680 chipset, fans, etc10
i9 12900 CPU200
NVidia A2000 12Gb70
2x 1Tb NVMe15
That is 5W less than the 300W PSU installed in the 8L device. We will lose more on power conversion alone.

Admittedly. it is highly unlikely that all these components will be user to the max simultaneously, but overall ration between power package and physical volume is nevertheless concerning.

Am I overthinking this or will it manage it just fine?

orinie

Trash Compacter
Oct 18, 2023
Is it a PC that someone made themselves?(nvm I read the title) or is it some Tier1 prebuild system/server? if the latter maybe they have BIOS locked the CPU to some lesser TDP?

orinie

Trash Compacter
Oct 18, 2023
On page 7 in This Document is says "12th Generation IntelCore i9-12900, vPro" and "Processor Wattage = 65W"

this adds up to the intel ark specs Here

Processor Base Power 65W
Maximum Turbo Power 202W

It will just not boost as high and depending on the cooler in the small case I think you will be thermal limited way before the chip can draw near 200W. So you should be perfectly fine ;)

Reactions: rfarmer and Phuncz

PicoXXL

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 10, 2024
you will be thermal limited way before the chip can draw near 200W

This is concerning. I understand, there are laws of physics and other boring limitations, but... How do I estimate performance of CPU given the limitations?

I have checked the Geekbench listings for this particular machine and results are not too different from a desktop. So it holds at least for the duration of the test.

orinie

Trash Compacter
Oct 18, 2023
This is concerning. I understand, there are laws of physics and other boring limitations, but... How do I estimate performance of CPU given the limitations?

I have checked the Geekbench listings for this particular machine and results are not too different from a desktop. So it holds at least for the duration of the test.
It is really hard to estimate the CPU performance unless you find a review of the exact model with that CPU, and running a longer test. Since a quick benchmark will not overwhelm the cooler compared to a longer test. So the performance penalty will not be present.

I couldn't find reviews. of that specific configuration, but a quick google, made it clear that it is present on other Dell SFF's see Here and Here....
(in the LTTForums thread, they swapped thermal paste. It doesn't make the problem go away, but it helps?)

That is sadly a compromise when you go SFF, and is not limited to Dell...

So if I were you and you were looking into getting it new from a store, is to get it and "stress" it with the applications you use daily and see if it works out for you. Otherwise use the return window if they have one. ^^