Deciding on a new build

WingsGB

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 19, 2017
Hey guys,
So its time for me to build another two systems as i relocated from the UK to NZ and left my old ones in the UK. The difference this time is its all about size as i may have to move around.

I have my gaming build planned, going to hold out for the Ryzen 5. It is my home media server i am struggling with.

I wanted to use a Ryzen 1700 (for the extra cores transcoding my media and running multiple applications 24/7) but there are no SFF motherboards out yet and even when they do the 1700 doesn't have a iGPU, so i would need a dedicated GPU. This would make my build bigger.

HDD space in this build isn't to much of a issue as i will mount cloud storage this time around (i am on a 1gbps fibre connection here) but i will still use 2x 4tb 2.5" drives.

With all that in mind the DNK-H mini case stood out for me using a i7-7700 but would only accommodate 1 HDD.

I then found the asrock/ asus Mini STX motherboards and was thinking of coming up with a custom case pairing it with the i7-7700. This could probably be done in a 6" x 6"x 3" case roughly, using a external PSU.

Thanks and any suggestions for my build will be appreciated.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Firstly, welcome to NZ, it's fantastic here. Secondly welcome to the forum!

I'd say stick with M-ITX in this case, as finding ITX cases is much easier (especially locally) than STX

WingsGB

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 19, 2017
Firstly, welcome to NZ, it's fantastic here. Secondly welcome to the forum!

I'd say stick with M-ITX in this case, as finding ITX cases is much easier (especially locally) than STX

Thank you for the welcome, NZ is a beautiful country, i have actually been here for 2 years now. I am going to wait another month or so to see what new boards come out with the new AM4 socket and then decide.

Didn't Biostar release an ITX AM4 board? Or was that just an announcement?

No not yet, just an announcement so far. Gigabyte has also announced a mini ITX, but no details or dates yet. I did read a post today which included pictures of a email conversation with Asrock support/ sales, they are also planing a mini ITX board for a mid April release, this should line up nicely with Ryzen 5.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Welcome to our humble forum and congratulations on your migration to NZ. Like @confusis , I recommend sticking with Mini-ITX cases.