Could use a second opinion about choosing options

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017
Hey guys.

Early this year I built my first ITX computer in a SG13, using the Asrock Z270 ITX/AC board. It's a device used 80% for gaming and content consumption / 20% for 3d rendering in DAZ using Nvidia Iray, thus the built houses the Evga GTX1070 and a "wait-and-see" Pentium G4560 processor.

The dilemma starts. I built it just because I couldn't wait for SFF Ryzen, and back then I chose the G4560 due to previous rumors that Coffee Lake will be LGA1151, and thus would "surely" run on the Z270. As we know now, that did not happen (and odds of modded BIOS being out are now fairly low).

I am stuck in a little bit of a predicament, as the best processor I will ever be able to get for this build is the 7700k, and reasonably due to heat concerns on air (The Noctua L9i) it's probably the 7700 (non-k). Liquid cooling is too much of a hassle due to frequent international travel, and the difference between the two 7700s isn't that high, plus the prices in my country for Kaby Lakes are sinking like a rock and the non-k variant seems to drop faster - now costing the same as a Ryzen 5 1600.
The problem - it doesn't seem like it's much of a future-proof solution, being a quad core, and changing the whole platform frequently comes with problems.

While I regret not having been able to wait for Ryzen due to ITX mobo delays, there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm stuck with a platform I just built a couple of months ago that I know won't run any future processors, and I have to replace the processor due to the Pentium not being powerful enough. It's not at all due to rendering times which I don't care much about, but due to poor preview performance and loading delays caused by the processor underperforming. My options are:

1. Just replace the G4560 with a 7700, and that's it. In that case I would sit on the build for a couple of years and swallow the fact that it is not going to be future-proof and will have to be fully replaced in 3 or 4 years. The problem of spending money on a quad core chip at a possibly worst time is hurting me, despite the fact that for now the chip would be good enough, but what about in a year or two? All the modern chips have more cores now, and now the software will follow pretty much immediately. The computer will be used for gaming and work, which for the first time is hurting me, as the build needs to run all games for the years to come without me being able to upgrade the mobo or CPU. Not only am I used to sitting on a platform for ages, setting up software I use takes a long time so I'd rather have it done once and for all, but most of all a lot of the licenses I invest in are tied to the mobo (I already purchased several for the current mobo, unfortunately) and altogether they are quite expensive.

2. Sell the G4560 together with the mobo, get an ITX AM4 board with the Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700. This option costs a little more initially, and requires more hassle but those chips already seem more future-proof, and the platform is much more future proof, so I could safely invest in it knowing the board will last me for a long time. The problem with this is that I already have around 250$ worth of software licenses already tied to the current Z270 mobo. Yeah, I know, ouch - it was my first Intel built and I did not expect it to be so short lived after 11 years on AM2. Plus I'd be selling the mobo I like at a loss and investing in a completely new platform now. Plus, if I bought the R5 1600 technically it wouldn't be much better than the 7700 in terms of gaming or 3d preview performance (again, I don't care about rendering times) so I'd be banking on the fact that future Ryzens will completely outclass the 7700 in those regards due to their vastly increased performance or games becoming vastly more threaded.

3. Same as 2, but get a Coffee Lake after they're out (really out). Negative - we have absolutely no clue about the Z370's longevity, and if the 8700 is the best thing that would run on it, then it's probably not worth all the hassle.

TLDR I know that there are many unknowns here, and honestly I'm stuck between getting the 7700 for now and praying that it will be a good performer until DDR5s and PCIe 5s are out, possibly to jump to AM5 or Intel 700-series or something in 2021, and hoping against the progress in the industry and that games won't start using a bazillion threads suddenly.
OR scrapping what I've built and taking some hit to the wallet for software I paid for in order to prevent further money wasted on more investment into a "dead end platform" and making the switch now, to a platform that would (probably) last me much longer. Then the doubt is whether it would really last me that much longer over the much simpler option of just getting the 7700.

The G4560, no matter how amazing, is unfortunately insufficient, so I have to make a switch one way or another, but what would you guys do in my shoes? How long do you guys think a 7700 would realistically last as a competitive option? How much logic is there in switching platforms now thinking that the 7700 won't last due to software getting more threaded soon?
A second opinion would be very much appreciated, as I've been stuck thinking about this for a long while now, and I need to move one way or another soon.

Last edited:

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I would bite the bullet, take option 2 while the Intel kit has some residual value and go AB350 and R5-1600............OR R3-1200 and wait for the Raven Ridge APU lineup..........all of which will no doubt outperform the woeful G4560..........As you recognise. the Ryzen platform has some legs, whereas Intel will change sockets every beat and leave you high and dry........

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
The 7700 will definitely last you several years, and is the most seamless move.
This is especially true. Many games are still dependent on up to eight threads, high clock speeds, IPC, and the graphics card. What a Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700 would allow are much better multitasking and platform longevity. I use machines that have near decade-old hardware in them and I work just fine (gaming is game dependent).

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017
Thanks for your opinions, guys. What each and every one of you wrote is pretty much exactly what I have in my head, which is why I can't make up my mind in the first place :D

This is especially true. Many games are still dependent on up to eight threads, high clock speeds, IPC, and the graphics card. What a Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700 would allow are much better multitasking and platform longevity. I use machines that have near decade-old hardware in them and I work just fine (gaming is game dependent).

This and what Nanook wrote are the most tempting options due to how easy it would be to keep all I have and just swap the CPU.
The problem with this is as mentioned, "Many games are STILL dependent on up to eight threads", but for how much longer? With Watch Dogs 2 and BF1 MP already stuttering on last gen's i5s, for how much longer will the i7 be a great gaming chip? With the year ending with 6-cores being the lower mid-range and 12 and 16 thread CPUs entering the mainstream, and the core race probably becoming a thing, buying a quad core fills me with doubt whether the 7700 would really last a few years. I don't play many games, there are maybe 2 or 3 games a year that I am interested in, but if buying an expensive i7 now I'm worried about whether in 2 or 3 years I'll be able to play them comfortably, I'm getting doubtful.

In hindsight I'd obviously build with Ryzen, considering the need for longevity. The Ryzen 5 would not give me much more performance right now, but would be at least as good as the 7700, plus with the Zen 2 or 3 that I could just pop in the AM4 mobo when they're out surely I would be kept afloat for many years to come on the very same build. The problem is that switching platform now is already going through quite a lot of extra hassle and expense, without knowing if it's necessary. On another hand, without knowing what the future unfolds, it's just difficult to figure out whether the "easy" option of just popping in an 7700 would be enough to last until the next best thing after AM4, as getting the 7700 now and having to move to AM4 in 2 or 3 years would end up with me having to go through the same hassle, just later AND getting trapped into another platform with not much longevity left in it.

Basically it's up to deciding now whether the 7700 would be enough to last me until the next best thing, which is likely coming around 2021, as that would be the easiest and cheapest option. If not, I would be better off moving off of it now to prevent further expenses of investing into software for my current platform, but without a crystal ball, who knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: stree

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Another thought...........Although as a non-gamer take what I say with a pinch of salt. I have often heard it said that game developers have been gearing games progging towards Intel / Nvidia machines, while seeing AMD as also ran. and secondary.....................If so, the with Ryzen I think the focus will now begin to shift more towards a more forward looking tech, IE: Ryzen.................

Reactions: szymon247

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017
Yeah, if only I could have waited. With Ryzen mainstream being 8 core / 16 thread, and Intel rumored to follow suit, 4 cores and 8 threads just doesn't feel like it will last me long.
I'll know better next time, and I regret going for my first Intel built - it's not nice to feel like the "premium" setup you just built will get outdated very soon. But a switch now would already be quite painful, I would do it in a hearbeat if it wasn't for already purchased software licenses for the mobo. Considering that, I might as well go with the easy route of just popping in the 7700 and living with it for as long as possible to postpone platform changes until absolutely necessary and even better processors are out - hopefully it will survive until DDR5/new PCIe platforms are out, with the successor to the Core architecture and AM5. Considering recent developments I don't think the 7700 will still run demanding games smoothly in the years to come, but I hope it at least remains adequate for a while.

I think for now I'll sit on the G4560 for a little longer and get the 7700 when the prices further sink, as they're going down fairly fast as the processors are simply not worth what they still cost. Considering the 7700 already gets outperformed by the 180$ i5 8400, that is also more future-proof with two more physical cores, and the 7700 still costs over 200$ (used), and nobody buying them anymore, I think it's wiser to wait a little bit longer.

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Here are some more thoughts:
  • Are you mostly gaming or using thread intensive programs? If gaming 7700k is an excellent gaming cpu for a long time. If threads, then you should definitely move away from z270.
  • Can your software licenses be moved? Most of my work software requires a simple phone call / email to acquire a license for the new pc. Some software conpanies would only let you do this once / once in awhile.
  • Based on your tone/upgrade cycles, upgrade to intel’s higher threads / switching to ryzen now may be best. Also I believe it would be awhile before 7700 prices would come down.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
  • Are you mostly gaming or using thread intensive programs? If gaming 7700k is an excellent gaming cpu for a long time. If threads, then you should definitely move away from z270.
  • Can your software licenses be moved? Most of my work software requires a simple phone call / email to acquire a license for the new pc. Some software conpanies would only let you do this once / once in awhile.
  • Based on your tone/upgrade cycles, upgrade to intel’s higher threads / switching to ryzen now may be best. Also I believe it would be awhile before 7700 prices would come down.
According to their original post:
It's a device used 80% for gaming and content consumption / 20% for 3d rendering in DAZ using Nvidia Iray

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017

The paradox is that where I'm most afraid the CPU would cease being adequate is gaming, as I wouldn't be able to just easily upgrade the platform due to the rest of the software I use. The 3D work I do is not that CPU intensive, other than preview performance and object loading times, and I have no idea whether they're threaded, but if it wasn't for those my G4560 would be good enough for today. My rendering is mostly GPU-bound and a non-issue (almost exclusively Nvidia Iray).
I don't think I do anything that requires more than 8 threads as of now, and I think the whole problem boils down to the fact that I am afraid that soon it will, considering the industry-wide move to more CPU cores, and a potential CPU core race between AMD and Intel, judging by what happened this year and the upcoming significant node shrinks combined with no upcoming new CPU architectures. As long as games and mainstream software gets optimized for 4-core processors at 60 smooth frames per second, I'll be good, but I'm afraid that it might quickly move away from those and I would be put in a position where I have to upgrade at a time when it'll be more problematic.

Some software can be moved, some can't - like OEM licenses for Windows/Office and software I got from work on a discount as their freelancer - it's now tied to the mobo. Around 250$ worth of software in total so far, I need to buy one more program that would cost me a little over 150$.
After the CPU upgrade I would have to buy a cooler (Intel or AMD, different brackets), upgrade RAM from 16GB to 32GB, and if I went for Ryzen, I'd have to get different sticks. That's in terms of tangible expenses, as the pains of migrating platforms, along with all the macros that suddenly stop working when I change the system as well as custom objects and mods for tools I use I'd have to find and reinstall are at least as severe, and more severe the longer I am on a given platform. Moving from AM2 I've been on for over 10 years to LGA1151, I spent over two weeks worth of full working days just on setting up all the software so it works just like before. On AM2 I had the convenience of starting of with a single core Athlon, easily upgrading my CPU whenever I needed more CPU performance and ended up with a quad core Phenom 2 that lasted me for a really long time, all on the same platform. The idea of being stuck on what came with the AM2 platform (a few lowly dual core models being the best there was) would be quite terrifying in hindsight as they wouldn't last me for too long, and I feel like that's where I kind of am now.
I'm not used to having to plan far ahead based on what I have today, especially in times of uncertainty regarding future minimum required core counts. That's the main reason I'm considering running back to AMD and the comforts of platform longevity.

That's pretty much it in terms of platform commitments. I'd rather avoid additional costs and hassle now if possible, and sure it would be much easier, cheaper and more convenient to just get the 7700, but if necessary I would rather upgrade sooner rather than after more investment is made into the platform. Thus the choice I'm facing.

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Sounds like your best bet is to swap up to i7-7700 or i5-75/7600 for the moment and save up your fund for going AMD (including software re-licensing) down the line, unless the extra threads from a current-gen Ryzen will pay off for you better in the shorter term.

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017
To me it seems like 100% of your use case is GPU driven then?

Yeah, for now mostly. Until time comes that 4 cores mean an underperforming CPU. I'll always be able to upgrade the GPU, but I'd need to switch platforms to get a new CPU, which is the painful part.

Sounds like your best bet is to swap up to i7-7700 or i5-75/7600 for the moment and save up your fund for going AMD (including software re-licensing) down the line, unless the extra threads from a current-gen Ryzen will pay off for you better in the shorter term.

While the i5s are better value, I think I'd get the 7700, as despite HT not adding much in terms of raw performance, at least having 8 threads instead of 4 might add the comfort of adding an extra year or so to the processor's life cycle in case the software world goes much more threaded, and in terms of games might be the difference between stuttering and not stuttering, like 2c/2t vs 2c/4t today. In the short term I do not need the threads, as Nanook noticed. It's more about anxiety about the necessity of prematurely switching platforms due to insufficient CPU core count, as platform changes for me come with lots of hassle.

Everyone helped me immensely in this thread. Thank you! So did re-reading my own comments. While I wish I had a Ryzen now, I think I will indeed just get the 7700 when the price drops a little bit more, as I already invested enough in the Z270 platform to dread a switch now, and the 7700 should last me for at least a while, hopefully until a new platform with better longevity appears, which is when I'll hopefully have an opportunity to make a better choice next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanook

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Yeah, for now mostly. Until time comes that 4 cores mean an underperforming CPU. I'll always be able to upgrade the GPU, but I'd need to switch platforms to get a new CPU, which is the painful part.

While the i5s are better value, I think I'd get the 7700, as despite HT not adding much in terms of raw performance, at least having 8 threads instead of 4 might add the comfort of adding an extra year or so to the processor's life cycle in case the software world goes much more threaded, and in terms of games might be the difference between stuttering and not stuttering, like 2c/2t vs 2c/4t today. In the short term I do not need the threads, as Nanook noticed. It's more about anxiety about the necessity of prematurely switching platforms due to insufficient CPU core count, as platform changes for me come with lots of hassle.

Everyone helped me immensely in this thread. Thank you! So did re-reading my own comments. While I wish I had a Ryzen now, I think I will indeed just get the 7700 when the price drops a little bit more, as I already invested enough in the Z270 platform to dread a switch now, and the 7700 should last me for at least a while, hopefully until a new platform with better longevity appears, which is when I'll hopefully have an opportunity to make a better choice next time.
I hate to be that person but I do not see Intel moving towards long-term support in their hardware as AMD does. As such, an i5 in the short-term and Ryzen 7 in the long-term would be a better idea.

Reactions: stree

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017
I hate to be that person but I do not see Intel moving towards long-term support in their hardware as AMD does. As such, an i5 in the short-term and Ryzen 7 in the long-term would be a better idea.

What do you think about the i7 7700? I thought it would be a good compromise considering how simple of an option it is to just pop it in, and there are 4 extra threads compared to the i5.
In terms of gaming, it seems like DX12 overhead sweet spot is at 6-7 cores, with 4c/8t solutions not being far behind, and as there's no new DX announced, it might last for a few years. Unless the games become otherwise heavier on physics and AI to utilize the fact that people are moving towards more cores.
Otherwise I don't see myself needing much more CPU power for a while.
Eh, It seems like whenever I make up my mind there's someone with reasonable thoughts like yours :D
The problem is there are severe hurdles ahead no matter which option I pick, as going Intel with the Z270 in the first place was a mistake.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
going Intel with the Z270 in the first place was a mistake.

I had a dying laptop, and Ryzen mITX boards were not yet shipping, so I made my Faustian bargain when I built mine. I'd have been much happier, if a bit poorer, if I had been able to go the Ryzen 5 route...so I can relate to your dilemma.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
@szymon247
The i7 7700 would be a good compromise IF you were keeping much of the machine for a long time 3+ years. However, you do not intend to from what I've read. The suggestion I made is the best compromise I could come up with for upfront costs versus long-term gain. Timing is the decision you need to make and the other choices will fall in line. I personally would get the better chip, make the most of it, and save for that next system I wish to build. Then again, I run my systems long beyond their service life due to budgetary reasons. Using a ThinkPad X201 (2010) currently and the current model out now is a ThinkPad X270 (2016).

szymon247

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 2, 2017
I had a dying laptop, and Ryzen mITX boards were not yet shipping, so I made my Faustian bargain when I built mine. I'd have been much happier, if a bit poorer, if I had been able to go the Ryzen 5 route...so I can relate to your dilemma.

That is exactly my situation, minus a dying laptop. I had to leave behind my old ATX build when moving countries. I was so disappointed the AMD ITX boards were late, as otherwise I'd be happily on AM4 and without a dilemma.

@szymon247
The i7 7700 would be a good compromise IF you were keeping much of the machine for a long time 3+ years. However, you do not intend to from what I've read. The suggestion I made is the best compromise I could come up with for upfront costs versus long-term gain. Timing is the decision you need to make and the other choices will fall in line. I personally would get the better chip, make the most of it, and save for that next system I wish to build. Then again, I run my systems long beyond their service life due to budgetary reasons. Using a ThinkPad X201 (2010) currently and the current model out now is a ThinkPad X270 (2016).

Basically if staying with Z270, I want to keep it for as long as possible. It's the change of platform that is problematic, so if I went with an i5 now I'd be deciding to go all in into the z270 platform, but then I might have nowhere to go if it becomes too weak. An i7, with 8 threads would give me some more headroom to wait for a future platform worth switching to, and hopefully provide more longevity, which is also my priority. My main dilemma has been whether it's enough of a headroom. The i7 provides 30% of raw, multithread performance over the i5 thanks to hyperthreading. A Ryzen 7 gives quadruple the thread count AND an upgrade path, but then I'd have to scrap what I have and go through the hurdles of platform switch now, despite them being still less painful. If I knew for a fact that the 7700 would last me for, say, 5 years, then I'd be fine, as it's easy to switch to it now and by the time I need a new CPU my needs might be different and a platform switch might not be as painful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est