Dancase A4 with fully contained watercooled 8700k and 1080Ti Build Log

SatsumaPC

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 19, 2019
satsumapc.com
Hello,
This will be a build log for a friends PC. I'll be upgrading him from an NCASE M1 to a Dancase A4 while keeping a full custom-loop. I love working on tiny PCs and this will be byfar the hardest challenge yet for me.

General Ideas:
240mm XSPC ultrathin, crossflow rad
92mm radiator
Custom distroplate/reservoir
Zotac 1080Ti mini (customized to be single-slot with block)
Fully internal loop (no external rads)
Fattening the GPU side of the case ~20mm to contain the 240mm radiator/fan/GPU
Custom "front-plate" to cover the expander to maintain the OE look

I expect this project will need a lot of custom machining. so tag along for the ride!

Here are some initial fitments of the radiator with a single slot GPU.

Crossflow radiator fits with less than 1mm side to side.

Radiator sticks out approximately 10mm when stacked GPU/Fan/Rad

Here's another angle of the stack, I expect the waterblock to be ~5mm thicker than the spare single slot card here and then another 5mm to allow some sense of airflow across the radiator to get us to the 20mm expander requirements.

Next big fitment issue will be with the 92mm rad and the SFX PSU. Then fitting the DDC pump somewhere, I'm thinking motherboard side might be feasible.

This will be a pretty slow moving project, next update will be with the Zotac 1080 Ti to get better measurements for reservoir/tubing!

Thanks for checking it out!

Reactions: August

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Interesting project why not make a semi passiv build. Install two 92mm fans at the bottom of the case outblowing and two at the topside outblowing (for the topside you have to lower the PSU with stand offs and mod the case for a fan above the motherboard). Close all holes so fresh air can only go inside through the radiators. If you use VLP ram and a thin CPU block you can also install a 120mm slim rad above the motherboard. If you use a flex psu you can also install a 240 rad on the motherboard side.

SatsumaPC

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 19, 2019
satsumapc.com
Something like this:

Something LIKE that, but you see the P/N has "V2" in it, there are 4 versions of this block, I'm pretty sure this card is a V1 and have ordered the corresponding block, just crossing fingers that it was the right choice.

Interesting project why not make a semi passiv build. Install two 92mm fans at the bottom of the case outblowing and two at the topside outblowing (for the topside you have to lower the PSU with stand offs and mod the case for a fan above the motherboard). Close all holes so fresh air can only go inside through the radiators. If you use VLP ram and a thin CPU block you can also install a 120mm slim rad above the motherboard. If you use a flex psu you can also install a 240 rad on the motherboard side.

I like this idea, I had bounced the idea around of a 120mm slim above the motherboard but kept running into fan+fitting issues.

My initial concerns with this passive approach is the fan/fitting interference on the top of the GPU, the current cross-flow rad interfering with the DVI port on the GPU, and a Flex PSU taking up a lot of real estate where I was thinking of putting the pump/res. But I do agree pulling that off would be a hell of a lot cleaner of a build.

Are there any builds using a Flex ATX PSU? I'd like to see how it fits in the case.

I'll be sure to keep you guys up to date on where this project goes.