Log Dan A4 v4.1 Cooling

Fezio

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 31, 2021
I recently purchased a Dan A4 and i'm trying to get low cpu and overall case temp. I have some argument to discuss about that.

My build is :
MSI B550i mpg
Ryzen 5 2600
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
Sharckoon silentstorm sfx
Zotac GTX 1060 6gb
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16gb DDR4
Crucial P5 250gb

I have an MSI B550i mpg motherboard with large heatsink, do you think is better to remove it?
Also i'm managing to 3d print the fan duct for the cpu cooler and a support form a fan above the mobo , but i'm undecided on which material to use, any idea?
Last question is how direct the fan above and under the mobo , my original idea is mount the under mobo fan in entrance and the above mobo fan in exaust , what do you think about that?

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
As my understanding, the L9a is absolutely compliant in terms of sizes and overlappings, so it should not interfere without any component on your MB. As per the printing material, as long as you don't use the softer one available you'll be on the safe side due to the duct not directly touching anything hot. If the plastic (let's say PLA) melts it's because you have an ambient temperature above 60ºC inside the case, so you'll be encountering some other problems before that. Just use PETG and you'll be fine.

As per the motherboard fan orientation, sumarizing some opinions it would be:
1 - Intake: Better CPU temps, Worse GPU temps
2 - Exhaust: Worse CPU temps, Better GPU temps

Last edited:

Fezio

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 31, 2021
As my understanding, the L9a is absolutely compliant in terms of sizes and overlappings, so it should not interfere without any component on your MB. As per the printing material, as long as you don't use the softer one available you'll be on the safe side due to the duct not directly touching anything hot. If the plastic (let's say PLA) melts it's because you have an ambient temperature above 60ºC inside the case, so you'll be encountering some other problems before that. Just use PETG and you'll be fine.

As per the motherboard fan orientation, sumarizing some opinions it would be:
1 - Intake: Better CPU temps, Worse GPU temps
2 - Exhaust: Worse CPU temps, Better GPU temps
I think i print the part in Acrylonitrile styrene acrylate (ASA) that should be good. My question about the fan orientation is for the two additional fan i’m managing to install ; one fan above the mobo with a custom 3d printed support and one under the mobo. My idea is to set the first one to exaust and the second to intake so i hope to create an airflow who take cold air from the botton and from the cpu cooler ,and exaust the hot air in the top.

Fezio

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 31, 2021
I think i print the part in Acrylonitrile styrene acrylate (ASA) that should be good. My question about the fan orientation is for the two additional fan i’m managing to install ; one fan above the mobo with a custom 3d printed support and one under the mobo. My idea is to set the first one to exaust and the second to intake so i hope to create an airflow who take cold air from the botton and from the cpu cooler ,and exaust the hot air in the top.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
You're right, I totally forgot about that upper fan. By the way, how do you plan to install the fan + the riser cable? It is perhaps a 10mm fan or something like that? Otherwise there is no space or the blades will collide with the riser's bend.

From my experience, the Dan A4 is a case that inspire through the lateral panels and expire through the top (helped by thermal convection) and the bottom (helped by the fans). I'm even thinking about someday masking all the lateral holes that does not have a fan directly underneath them to enforce furthermore that principle.

Fezio

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 31, 2021
You're right, I totally forgot about that upper fan. By the way, how do you plan to install the fan + the riser cable? It is perhaps a 10mm fan or something like that? Otherwise there is no space or the blades will collide with the riser's bend.

From my experience, the Dan A4 is a case that inspire through the lateral panels and expire through the top (helped by thermal convection) and the bottom (helped by the fans). I'm even thinking about someday masking all the lateral holes that does not have a fan directly underneath them to enforce furthermore that principle.
Yes, a 60x10mm fan for the top . Should it be enought in yout opinion?

Fezio

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 31, 2021
A problem of the b550i mpg si that the temperature of the mobo heatsink become very hot. Do you have any idea about how i can fix that?Could be a good idea remove it to ease the airflow?

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
A problem of the b550i mpg si that the temperature of the mobo heatsink become very hot. Do you have any idea about how i can fix that?Could be a good idea remove it to ease the airflow?
Well, imo if the heatsink becomes hot is because it is fulfilling his function. I think it would be dangerous to just remove it without caring about the vram or mosfets just under it with some individual copper heatsink at least. It would increase the airflow due to the fin orientation of the l9a on AMD platform, wich is just terrible. As for the 60x10 fan, it could do something but the top is drilled enough to let the hot air escape through it with ease.

Reactions: rfarmer