Dan A4-SFX V4 3900X Asetek 645LT Workstation

Ace Failure

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
Hi!
First of all, I want to present myself as I'm new in the forum despite being around since the DAN A4 was presented here.

I'm a designer and engineer, and I've designed a few cases but never gone into production due to the difficulties and cost, the thing is that I use my main computer as a workstation, currently having a 2xE5-2670v1with a total of 16c/32t at 3GHz, 64GB of ram, etc, but I wanted something portable, something powerful enough to not only replace my actual computer but to get a noticeable improvement despite having some drawbacks.

At first, I thought of getting a laptop, but we all know that upgradeability isn't a thing there despite a few models like the Alienware Area 51, and those are really expensive and with lower performance compared to my current PC, so the choice was clear, a Dan A4-SFX.

So I've been doing my research and "finally" I've got a proper hardware list that will fulfill my needs:

• CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
  • CPU cooler: Asetek 645LT 92mm SFF AIO (Purchased)
  • Thermal paste: Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut 3.9g 1.5ml (Purchased)
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC (Purchased)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi Socket AM4
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB (32 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz CL15 (Purchased)
  • Case: A4-SFX V4 Mini-ITX (Purchased)
  • PSU: Corsair - SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased)
  • SSD: PNY (PNYU9) PNY XLR8 CS3030 1TB M.2 Nvme (Purchased)
  • Extra fans: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan (Purchased)

I would like to OC the ram to 3600 CL16 or even 3733 CL16 (at least I'll try), as I've seen that is possible to get 3400 CL13 on the 8GB modules.

I will keep updating this thread once I get the parts! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CountNoctua

Ace Failure

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
Watching this thread too. I have a 3700x in mine, with the L9a, and she gets toasty (it hit 102 degrees on BF5 after an extended period).
I've got a 645 on order....but very interested to see how you do
I've seen the 3900X with undervolting lowering its temps with the asetek 656lt more than 15ºC compared to stock while maintaining 4.2GHz in all cores, but the video was retired for an unknown reason (Optimum Tech channel).

Reactions: CountNoctua

lambino

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2019
I've seen the 3900X with undervolting lowering its temps with the asetek 656lt more than 15ºC compared to stock while maintaining 4.2GHz in all cores, but the video was retired for an unknown reason (Optimum Tech channel).

That's because it was found that undervolting on Zen 2 significantly impacts performance, even if the clock rates are ostensibly unchanged.

Reactions: Ace Failure

Ace Failure

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
That's because it was found that undervolting on Zen 2 significantly impacts performance, even if the clock rates are ostensibly unchanged.
I watched the video 5 minutes after it was launched, I'm a subscriber of its channel, but at the time of publishing my comment there wasn't any comment about. I don't agree with you on "That's because it was found that undervolting on Zen 2 significantly impacts performance" Going from 1.25V to 1.10V and only dropping 200MHz with the benefits of dropping 14.5ºC seems to me a good advantage, and that via software hopefully Bios get updated soon with proper undervolting capabilities, at the moment bios still really premature.

Reactions: rfarmer

lambino

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2019
I watched the video 5 minutes after it was launched, I'm a subscriber of its channel, but at the time of publishing my comment there wasn't any comment about. I don't agree with you on "That's because it was found that undervolting on Zen 2 significantly impacts performance" Going from 1.25V to 1.10V and only dropping 200MHz with the benefits of dropping 14.5ºC seems to me a good advantage, and that via software hopefully Bios get updated soon with proper undervolting capabilities, at the moment bios still really premature.

Ah, gotcha.
To be fair, I also don't personally find a couple of percent loss in performance to be significant. I'm new here, have to remember it's an SFF enthusiast forum and not a spec-centric one.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Why not use a config like this if you change the GTX 1080 to an RTX 2070.

If you go with the 645LT I really recommend to get custom cables from "pslatecustoms"

Ace Failure

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
Why not use a config like this if you change the GTX 1080 to an RTX 2070.

If you go with the 645LT I really recommend to get custom cables from "pslatecustoms"
Hi dondan, well, I don't have limitless cash ?, also my GTX 1080 has 10 months, I have bought it second hand for 360€ with almost no use, so I want to keep it.

Also, your case and the Asetek 645lt is arriving today, related to the cable management I will try to do my best with the SF600 platinum cables, if there is any problem I will consider getting some from "pslatecustoms".

Anyway thanks for commenting ?

Ace Failure

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
@Ace Failure How did your build turn out?
Hello, well this is a nightmare, I'm still waiting to get a 3900X and the Aorus X570 I (no stock), also my GPU almost doesn't fit in the case. I had a problem with Amazon.de because I was scammed by one of the vendors when buying an SF600 platinum and I have to return the product paying the shipment back and wait until 7-14 days to receive my money back, I had talk via chat and phone with them but they didn't offer me any option, was second hand with missing parts, so I bought an SF750 platinum directly from Amazon.es and sold by them.

3 weeks to build a PC and many problems with the delivery of several parts, the worst thing is that I have 3 weeks margin to sell my actual computer because I'm moving and where I go it will be almost impossible to sell it, but I also need a functioning PC to work. I have built many computers but this one is getting out of hands.

Anyway, here are some picks, at least I achieve to close the case despite the GPU had almost no tolerances with the cables below and is touching the radiators 90º fittings and almost no space for the 8+6 PCIe connectors:

Also, I will receive a 92mm grill in the next hour or so, to prevent some cables falling over time into the radiator's noctua fan.

Last edited:

lilclie

Caliper Novice
Jul 14, 2019
@Ace Failure I am sorry to hear your build didnt go as planned.

I didnt get scammed but my original Corsair SF600 was defective (clicking sound on startup and shutdown) and couldnt replace. There's literally no stock in any shop around me. Ended up ordering a SF750, like yourself.

Unfortunately, I cant start my build until the RAM arrives. I am willing to wait since I was able to purchase for like $40US for one 16GB DIMM.
That 92mm grill seems to be key for radiator.

I hope to post a few pictures when its completed

Ace Failure

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
@Ace Failure I am sorry to hear your build didnt go as planned.

I didnt get scammed but my original Corsair SF600 was defective (clicking sound on startup and shutdown) and couldnt replace. There's literally no stock in any shop around me. Ended up ordering a SF750, like yourself.

Unfortunately, I cant start my build until the RAM arrives. I am willing to wait since I was able to purchase for like $40US for one 16GB DIMM.
That 92mm grill seems to be key for radiator.

I hope to post a few pictures when its completed

I installed the grill and changed the grommets that attached the radiator to the case by standard screws with washers, so I gained more millimeters, it migh be enough to bring some more tolerances for the GPU. I also stitched the cables flat to the 92mm grill so It won't obstruct with the lower part of the GPU's pcb.

Reactions: lilclie

lilclie

Caliper Novice
Jul 14, 2019
I installed the grill and changed the grommets that attached the radiator to the case by standard screws with washers, so I gained more millimeters, it migh be enough to bring some more tolerances for the GPU. I also stitched the cables flat to the 92mm grill so It won't obstruct with the lower part of the GPU's pcb.

OOOOOOOO......I like your cabling work here. Are you able to pull the cable on the left down and around the fan?

Ace Failure

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
OOOOOOOO......I like your cabling work here. Are you able to pull the cable on the left down and around the fan?
Thanks, but still a bit rough XD
Just the part as shown in the image, the rest needs to lay like that in order to not obstruct with the bottom of the gpu.

lilclie

Caliper Novice
Jul 14, 2019
Thanks, but still a bit rough XD
Just the part as shown in the image, the rest needs to lay like that in order to not obstruct with the bottom of the gpu.
I am a pleb when it comes to cabling. Really going to try on this build.

Do you have an SSD in the front? I notice a lot of people forgoing the use of ssd in there builds.

Ace Failure

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
I am a pleb when it comes to cabling. Really going to try on this build.

Do you have an SSD in the front? I notice a lot of people forgoing the use of ssd in there builds.
Just take it with calm, this case needs time for cable managing.
Nope, I'm going with just one m2 pcie 1TB SSD on the motherboard, maybe in the future, if sata SSDs drop prices enough I'll get a 2 or 4TB one.

lilclie

Caliper Novice
Jul 14, 2019
Just take it with calm, this case needs time for cable managing.
Nope, I'm going with just one m2 pcie 1TB SSD on the motherboard, maybe in the future, if sata SSDs drop prices enough I'll get a 2 or 4TB one.
Legit having major trouble with the cables. I can't get the AIO tubes to stay under the PSU