DAN A4-SFX v3 with 120mm aio!!

trundrumbalind

Efficiency Noob
Jul 30, 2018
@trundrumbalind I would be very cautious about getting an SFX-L PSU and the Asetek cooler - it will be a tight/impossible fit. (Just check the forums for some pics of the Corsair SFX PSUs with the Asetek beneath - there is basically zero clearance).

For the GPU, @dondan has a compatibility list on his website: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_spec.html

It will be a very powerful build though! (Why not wait until September and get an 1180?)

Haha damn... I thought that was the right combo. So, what would you recommend, to change the PSU or the Asetek??
I can still cancel the order on the Asetek, like... right now!

About the 1180, is it a sure thing they'll be out in september??? I can sure wait, but I didn't know the date was set.

trundrumbalind

Efficiency Noob
Jul 30, 2018
@trundrumbalind I would be very cautious about getting an SFX-L PSU and the Asetek cooler - it will be a tight/impossible fit. (Just check the forums for some pics of the Corsair SFX PSUs with the Asetek beneath - there is basically zero clearance).

For the GPU, @dondan has a compatibility list on his website: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_spec.html

It will be a very powerful build though! (Why not wait until September and get an 1180?)

BTW, I'm also considering the Zotac 1080 Mini card... maybe that opens up some other cooling solutions?

Tr15

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
@trundrumbalind I think the Asetek is a good way to go, but I would stick with an SFX psu and not an SFX-L.

The zotac doesn't help much as it's not quite small enough to open up any other options.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
@trundrumbalind I think the Asetek is a good way to go, but I would stick with an SFX psu and not an SFX-L.

Heck, with my cabling skills, I’d hate trying to get an asetek under just a sfx psu lol. Had a hard enough time cramming all my cables in with only 1 hdd under it.

trundrumbalind

Efficiency Noob
Jul 30, 2018
The zotac doesn't help much as it's not quite small enough to open up any other options.

Just cancelled the BeQuiet 600 and got a Corsair SFX 600.
And I think I'll just wait for the GTX 11xx line and limit my video editing to my laptop for now, and use GeForce Now for gaming.

Heck, with my cabling skills, I’d hate trying to get an asetek under just a sfx psu lol. Had a hard enough time cramming all my cables in with only 1 hdd under it.

I'm not getting any Sata drives, 2x M.2 only (I'll worry about temps for the back-mounted drive later haha).

So, the problem lies in the PSU cables that have to go between the PSU and the AIO fan?

Is it really that difficult to get all these components in there?!
I've seen some first time builders do it with an a4-sfx.
And I'm not talking SFF first timers, I mean I've-never-build-a-pc-before kinda people haha

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I’ve seen them too and give them props. I imagine most anyone could work in this case, owing to its clever design. But I have the Corsair sf600 and the Corsair custom cables with a Seagate 15mm 2.5 drive and hated how hard I had to cram my cables in to fit. Of course I’m not one for good cable management either. I did end up pulling most of the slack to GPU side to help alleviate it.

tenrose

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2018
I thought I would add to this post briefly with the pic below. My Dan case now has the addition of a KMPKT Dynamo 360 DC-ATX. This is powering an MSI Aero GTX 1070 GPU... its a nice upgrade from the 1060 3Gb!

(And those of you worrying about my HD-PLEX 160 going up in flames can chill out)

I am loving this build. I have a few questions regarding your power solution:

1. What kind of cable are you using to power your machine? A brick or normal kettle lead?
2. What are the modules for power you've used (in mobo 24pin, next to aio, etc)
3. What is the maximum TDP this power solution can support?

My aim is to have an open AIO route like your build does, but I'm hoping to use a Gigabyte GTX 1080 ITX card. Looking forward to your response :D

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Can you fit an sfx600 psu In there with a Zotac 1080ti mini and a 120mm rad with a 15mm fan?

No, but you can technically fit a 120mm AIO + 1080 Ti Mini + FlexATX and have an internally powered 1080 Ti build with a 120mm AIO in the A4-SFX. In fact, the v3 initially had support for a FlexATX bracket, but was later dropped I'm guessing because it was such a niche within a niche thing that almost no one would use. But someone did do a build like that, I just can't remember what his name was and can't find the thread... He used the GEEEK FlexATX. Needless to say, a build like that will be loud at load with the 1080 Ti Mini + Flex ATX both exhausting so close to each other.

I wonder if with the next generation of Nvidia GPUs we'll see a truly ITX 2080 Ti (or whatever they call the 250W card). Someone a while ago found a Gigabyte internal listing that indicated they might have been working on it. It's technically possible with a tall card, high-RPM 140mm fan and all-copper heatsink.

I'm amazed the HDPlex 160 can handle this system, it must be drawing close to 300W at load. Good to know it's possible.

tenrose

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2018
No, but you can technically fit a 120mm AIO + 1080 Ti Mini + FlexATX and have an internally powered 1080 Ti build with a 120mm AIO in the A4-SFX. In fact, the v3 initially had support for a FlexATX bracket, but was later dropped I'm guessing because it was such a niche within a niche thing that almost no one would use. But someone did do a build like that, I just can't remember what his name was and can't find the thread... He used the GEEEK FlexATX. Needless to say, a build like that will be loud at load with the 1080 Ti Mini + Flex ATX both exhausting so close to each other.

I wonder if with the next generation of Nvidia GPUs we'll see a truly ITX 2080 Ti (or whatever they call the 250W card). Someone a while ago found a Gigabyte internal listing that indicated they might have been working on it. It's technically possible with a tall card, high-RPM 140mm fan and all-copper heatsink.

I'm amazed the HDPlex 160 can handle this system, it must be drawing close to 300W at load. Good to know it's possible.

hey i was just reading that thread

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/d10s-dan-a4-7920x-1080ti-mini-x299-itx.6927/

i actually tried this myself recently but found the PSU to be too long to fit. ordered it from GEEEK as well, not sure what the difference is between my one and the one used in this build. a lot of modding work possibly but not something im knowledgable enough on to try.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I am loving this build. I have a few questions regarding your power solution:

1. What kind of cable are you using to power your machine? A brick or normal kettle lead?
2. What are the modules for power you've used (in mobo 24pin, next to aio, etc)
3. What is the maximum TDP this power solution can support?

My aim is to have an open AIO route like your build does, but I'm hoping to use a Gigabyte GTX 1080 ITX card. Looking forward to your response :D

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/d10s-dan-a4-7920x-1080ti-mini-x299-itx.6927/

i actually tried this myself recently but found the PSU to be too long to fit. ordered it from GEEEK as well, not sure what the difference is between my one and the one used in this build. a lot of modding work possibly but not something im knowledgable enough on to try.
The PSU setup is actually described in the first post you quote (though not in exact detail) plus post #14 in this thread.

• It's powered by an external 330W Dell power brick.
  • Which leads to a KMPKT Dynamo 360W DC-DC power supply (converting from the ~19V of the power brick to 12V - read more about this unit here, or buy it here)
  • Which again passes power through to the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX stuck in the 24-pin port, generating the necessary 5V and 3.3V lines (plus 5VSB and stuff like that, I suppose). This, from what the OP says (and from the look of the pictures) is the same unit as the KMPKT Dynamo Mini.
  • Asking about the maximum TDP is rather meaningless, as TDP is not equal to power draw (especially considering that Intel, Nvidia and AMD all measure and generate TDP numbers through (often wildly) different methods). TDP is, at best, a rough guideline. The maximum power draw this can support is likely limited by the 330W rating of the power brick (even if external units are rated for continuous load and it can likely exceed that, at least for short amounts of time, though I'd worry about heat and longevity). Going from the specs in the original thread (though please correct me if they've changed!), this setup with a more powerful AC-DC PSU/brick can power anything up to 460W: 300W from the Dynamo + 160 from the AC-DC unit. This is one of the great things about the Dynamo: it can pass through "unconverted" DC power to a secondary PSU, meaning you can mix and match as long as they support the same input voltage.

Reactions: cj360

Tr15

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
The PSU setup is actually described in the first post you quote (though not in exact detail) plus post #14 in this thread.

• Which leads to a KMPKT Dynamo 360W DC-DC power supply (converting from the ~19V of the power brick to 12V - read more about this unit here, or buy it here)
  • Which again passes power through to the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX stuck in the 24-pin port, generating the necessary 5V and 3.3V lines (plus 5VSB and stuff like that, I suppose). This, from what the OP says (and from the look of the pictures) is the same unit as the KMPKT Dynamo Mini.
  • Asking about the maximum TDP is rather meaningless, as TDP is not equal to power draw (especially considering that Intel, Nvidia and AMD all measure and generate TDP numbers through (often wildly) different methods). TDP is, at best, a rough guideline. The maximum power draw this can support is likely limited by the 330W rating of the power brick (even if external units are rated for continuous load and it can likely exceed that, at least for short amounts of time, though I'd worry about heat and longevity). Going from the specs in the original thread (though please correct me if they've changed!), this setup with a more powerful AC-DC PSU/brick can power anything up to 460W: 300W from the Dynamo + 160 from the AC-DC unit. This is one of the great things about the Dynamo: it can pass through "unconverted" DC power to a secondary PSU, meaning you can mix and match as long as they support the same input voltage.
@Valantar you are correct with everything you've surmised from my previous posts.

If this were a portable build I would look into an internal ac-dc solution but since it just sits at my desk the 330w Dell brick does the job just fine.

And yes I believe the most recent hdplex 160 is basically the same unit as a dynamo mini. It works fine with the dynamo 360 anyway.

tenrose

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2018

really really helpful information. thanks a tonne i really appreciate to explanation! i suppose then judging from this, getting a system with a 400w+ power draw (7700k, 1080ti, AIO, etc) isn't feasible yet due to the lack of a good enough brick. shame, but i will have to make some compromises.

thanks again!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
really really helpful information. thanks a tonne i really appreciate to explanation! i suppose then judging from this, getting a system with a 400w+ power draw (7700k, 1080ti, AIO, etc) isn't feasible yet due to the lack of a good enough brick. shame, but i will have to make some compromises.

thanks again!
No problem :)

If you've got the space in your case, there are a few good options for internal AC-DC power supplies of more or less sufficient wattage:
  • The HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX (needs a 30mm fan for 400W output, otherwise rated at 300W)
  • The Mean Well RPS-400 series (you'd need the 24V version to use with the Dynamo 360 and Mini)
Then again, have you actually measured your power draw to 400w+? That sounds awfully high for your setup, at least outside of torture tests (like Prime95 or other AVX loads + FurMark). While OC'd KBL CPUs can easily draw 150W+ around 5GHz (if not 200W, depending on the silicon lottery), that's not something that you'll usually see while gaming or other normal usage. On the other hand, if this is a workstation doing hour-long renders or similar tasks, I understand your apprehension.

Another (IMO better) option would be @guryhwa 's G-Unique PSU. Unlike the Dynamo/HDPlex systems it runs directly off 12V, so there's no need for further conversion at the 24-pin (outside of the minor rails, which dont' output a lot of heat - which means you avoid both conversion losses and the heat this leads to (not to mention getting more out of your power brick's rating)). This also allows you to choose from a wide variety of 12V AC-DC PSUs (such as the 12V Mean Well RPS or EPP series, which both have ~93% efficiency and are very small), and Gury even sells a special modded external Dell brick rated for around 500W. This also saves you internal space in that you don't need to fit the Dynamo 360 in there to run the GPU.
5,Arch Deamon limited edition (No2)+ultimate version Modded brick ,dual pci-e 6+2pin VGA cable witn one changable,this set can run i7+1080ti or titan pascal:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Everytime i see this brick i think this unit is very dangerous because the wires are not following savety requirements. They are too thin. I get a bad feeling sourcing 250W+ for the GPU through it. If you look at a normal PSU the cables are much thicker.

tenrose

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2018
Everytime i see this brick i think this unit is very dangerous because the wires are not following savety requirements. They are too thin. I get a bad feeling sourcing 250W+ for the GPU through it. If you look at a normal PSU the cables are much thicker.

any way of getting a 1080ti zotac mini in this case with a 120mm AIO also? saw your build for the 400w hdplex psu but that was with a 1070. not sure the hdplex 400w will cover it...

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
A disclaimer: I am in no way an electrician nor electrical engineer. Now, I agree that they look thin, but the description says he's using PFTE (teflon) insulated cabling, which can have quite a lot thinner insulation than similar PVC or other rubber insulated cables, making them look far thinner than they actually are. Ought to be more or less ideal for SFF builds, even if cables like this are more expensive than other types of insulation. While he doesn't state the wire gauge for the GPU cables (though no doubt that can be found out) but the EPS cable is 20AWG, which should be plenty for a short length unless you're running an OC'd 18-core Extreme Edition, and the DC input cable is 16AWG.

According to this wire gauge calculator that should be within reason - it recommends 16AWG for a 0.3m run of wire for 12V 34A (400w) or 20AWG for a cable of the same length for 15A - the former should be okay for the system (unless it's a very high-end system), and the second should be fine for the CPU (15Ax12V=180W). This gives 3% cable losses, which (again, according to that site) is within norms. This would mean dissipating 12W of power through the input cable, though, which isn't insignificant over such a short run. Still, it shouldn't be harmful unless it somehow gets hot enough to melt the sockets, in which case you're clearly not cooling your 400W+ SFF system correctly.

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016

The PSU in that thread is an Enhance. Geeek only has Deltas now. The dimensions are likely different. FWIW, I've had a lot of success with FSP PSU's. There's a 500W FlexATX one on Amazon readily available which should fit fine, but isn't modular of course.

tenrose

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2018
The PSU in that thread is an Enhance. Geeek only has Deltas now. The dimensions are likely different. FWIW, I've had a lot of success with FSP PSU's. There's a 500W FlexATX one on Amazon readily available which should fit fine, but isn't modular of course.
yeah the one i received was a delta. i did take a quick look at that but couldn't find any confirmation of there being a pcie 8pin.