Discussion custom water loop in itx case: 1 x 280 rad or 2 x 120 rad

rbrinson2

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 3, 2021
I was just thinking about small form factor case and most on them can fit a 280 rad but I've also noticed some can accommodate 2 x 120 rads as well. Do you think there would be any thermal difference between one or the other, or none. I know in a mid/full size case you would do something like 2 x 240s, one for the cpu and one for the gpu. My thought would be that with a 2 x 120 setup you would be able to cool the liquid at least a little before one it hits the next component. But it might all be moot because the system would reach equilibrium regardless and you would loose surface are.

evadne

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2020
Loop order wouldn’t matter much if you don’t have a lot of components. With 2x120 you have more tubing to route as well.

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Mar 22, 2021
Total radiator area is what matters (assuming fin density and thickness is equal between the options), the water circulates so fast and equalizes throughout the loop that there is no significant difference in temperature at each spot.

The coolant is just used to transport the heat from the hot components (CPU/GPU) to the cooling components (radiators), much like the heat pipes do on an air cooler.