Log Custom Makerbeam 10x10 console style build

Numb3rtw0

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 25, 2020
Hello there,

after my brief introduction and lurking some time in the forum looking for a case that fit my needs, i found the Custom_Mod SLM1 lm 4L.
I did order it despite its kinda high price Tag, shipping cost, import taxes and loooong production and shipping times (up to five months) and was going to wait with my build till it arrived.

But notoriously impatient, i wanted something now. So i did some more reading in the depths of the forums and eventually found the very comprehensive 12V Thread
a-guide-to-12v-psu
and the not so common Makerbeam builds
5-37l-aluminum-extrusion-frame
decided-to-build-my-own-case
one-of-a-kind-full-mesh-sff-tower-11-9l-280clc-no-riser
and decided to spend a bunch of money to start my adventure.

Parts List:

CPU: Intel i5-10400F
MB: ASUS-ROG-STRIX-H470-Gaming
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL 3200MHz
SSD: 2x500GB of Samsung 970 EVO
GPU: Powercolor RX 5600XT ITX
Power distribution: one2-distro-400-kit from theHack
Power-Supply: Mean Well RPS-400-12-C
Fans: 1x Akasa 80x10mm, 2x Noctua NF-A40x10 FLX 12V
Case: Makerbeam 10x10, aluminum sheets i had laying around, some steel mesh from the local hardware store along with some rattlecan paint
Probably some stuff i forgot...

here it is the Imgur album:

Case dimensions: 320x210x80mm, 5.38L
Footprint of a 13" Laptop

And then i had a mad idea.
Why not make it one? (kind off)

I added a 13" 1080P IPS touch panel from Aliexpress which came with a control board and has only one flat cable from the controller to the Panel.
Crammed the controller between motherboard and bottom panel and conected the thing with 90° angled USB-C and HDMI Cables.

Voila:

The Process:

Conclusion:

The temps are pretty normal, adjusted the fancurve of the RX 5600XT ITX no fire smell.
I havent actually benchmarked neither stress testet it, but had up to 6 hour gaming sessions with no problems whatsoever.
Every game i own runs on max details in 1080P and actually looks very good on the small screen because the ppi is so high.
Alternatively i can just hook it up to my 55" TV an sit on the couch while casually gaming.

The fan speed control on the Mean Well seems to be load sensitive and not temperature controlled. I added a Noctua low noise adaptor, 'cause the power supply ramps up the fan as soon as you power up the PC.
I also added two NF-A40x10 FLX, to remove hot air being exhausted by the GPU towards the front of the case, and otherwise being trapped there or recirculated into the GPU because of the way i mounted the 13" screen.

The One2 Distro from JHack will most likely not fit inside the Custom_Mod SLM1 Im 4L. I'm still planing on using that case once it'll arrive.
Havent decided on how i will solve that upcoming issue yet. Maybe switch to 19V Power supply, or ditching the One2 Distro and direct wiring the PSU to the GPU+PicoPSU.

I could have just walked into a store and bought myself a laptop, but Building that thing was a ton of fun!

Downsides:

It has the same ergonomics as any other Laptop, 30+ ppl with office jobs will know what i mean.
Need to get a laptop riser for it i guess.

ToDo:

Get a case to make it portable. Was thinking about those Pelican Cases and cutting foam inlays into shape.
Manufacture a better case for the Mean Well, both in looks and electrical safety... ...yes the black heatsinks are under voltage
Find out how to embed Imgur albums without getting an error message.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Nicely done! :thumb:
The Makerbeams and the steel mesh makes it very neat!
I would just find a way to protect the mesh sides that look a bit dangerous.

But... why not have designed the case so that the Mean Well can go into it? ;)
Perhaps have a look at the UHP serie of MW PSU, you may have room for the 350W on the front side of the case. But well, I guess this is only a temporary case after all.

May I ask for the link of the 13" 1080P IPS touch panel? And also for this yellow power connector?

The One2 Distro from JHack will most likely not fit inside the Custom_Mod SLM1 Im 4L. I'm still planing on using that case once it'll arrive.
Havent decided on how i will solve that upcoming issue yet. Maybe switch to 19V Power supply, or ditching the One2 Distro and direct wiring the PSU to the GPU+PicoPSU.
If I am not mistaken, you will then be confronted to the 'always on' GPU problem.
Something you can solve thanks to @Thehack's M2426 -> https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/m2426-evolution-in-cable-management.13663/post-202773

Numb3rtw0

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 25, 2020
Nicely done! :thumb:
The Makerbeams and the steel mesh makes it very neat!
I would just find a way to protect the mesh sides that look a bit dangerous.

I sanded all the edges before painting and added a thick layer of spray paint so it's kinda ok. Just did a crappy job painting it. Guess i'll see how long the paint lasts.

But... why not have designed the case so that the Mean Well can go into it? ;)
Perhaps have a look at the UHP serie of MW PSU, you may have room for the 350W on the front side of the case. But well, I guess this is only a temporary case after all.

I had my mind set on the RPS-400 which is totally overpowered and having the same layout as in the Custom_Mod SLM1 it's not the same layout MB and GPU should switch positions.
The PC only pulls around 210-230Watts while gaming.
While searching for the UHP series i instantly landed on thingiverse. There's allready a lot of enclosures for Mean Well. Good thing I own a 3D Printer.

May I ask for the link of the 13" 1080P IPS touch panel? And also for this yellow power connector?

looked it up again, its not IPS, just TFT-LCD, here's the link to Aliexpress:
13" touch screen I used
The yellow power connector is a XT60, sold pretty much everywhere as far as i know. Got mine from Hobbyking
If, in the unlikely Case, the system should pull 400W, which it won't, the plugs might get a little bit warm. So far i had no problems at all.

If I am not mistaken, you will then be confronted to the 'always on' GPU problem.
Something you can solve thanks to @Thehack's M2426 -> https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/m2426-evolution-in-cable-management.13663/post-202773

Thanks for pointing out that post, might just be the solution for my yet to come problem.
When i ordered the One2 Distro kit from @Thehack, he asked me if i'm going to do a brickless build. That's when i first thought about how to integrate the RPS-400 into my build. Dropped the thought pretty quickly though.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
looked it up again, its not IPS, just TFT-LCD, here's the link to Aliexpress:
13" touch screen I used
The yellow power connector is a XT60, sold pretty much everywhere as far as i know. Got mine from Hobbyking
If, in the unlikely Case, the system should pull 400W, which it won't, the plugs might get a little bit warm. So far i had no problems at all.
Thanx!