John Morrison. Founder and Head writer SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Workshop
Editorial Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Updated 02/2018
Custom Cases & Projects guidelines

Please review the following recommendations and tips before creating a thread here to get the most out of your next awesome project thread! If you are a company (or aspire to be) please review the Vendor Rules here before posting.

Guidelines:
  1. Have a clear and concise thread title. Company name (if applicable), project name, and a very brief description are recommended, for example: "Chassis Inc Quark Mk II: 4L SLI case"
  2. Pick an appropriate status prefix (see below).
  3. Write a description of the project along with relevant specifications and pictures in the first post.
  4. Keep the status prefix updated with the current state of the project. It is also highly recommended to keep the opening post updated with the current state of the project.

Tips:
  • Detailed specs are good: size, volume, GPU length/width support, CPU heatsink height, fan mounts, etc.
  • Metric is preferred, so if you must use an antiquated illogical system of measurements please include Metric alongside as well.
  • Reserve the first few posts in a new thread to have extra room for updates, pics, specs, FAQs, etc.
  • For long-term projects, link to update posts later in the thread rather than copy/pasting each update into the OP to avoid having a huge wall of text at the start of the thread.
  • This is Sparta SFF Forum, so be prepared for blunt and thorough feedback on everything from basic design to manufacturing specifics.
  • Take feedback into account early and often, but design by committee is where good ideas go to die.
  • Have fun!

Custom Cases & Projects FAQ:

Should I post here, in Build Logs, or in Modding?
Custom Cases & Projects is for SFF-related products that are designed and built from the ground up. Generally Build Logs is for documenting projects using mainly existing parts, and Modding is about modifying existing parts.​

But a thread about the process of fitting modern gaming hardware into a Commodore 64 with the aid of some custom PCBs could feasibly qualify for all three sections. For something like that it is up to you which aspect you want to emphasize and so which sub-forum you post in, but the thread may be moved at the discretion of forum staff.​

What types of projects are allowed?
Generally anything as long as it is custom and relevant to SFF. Cases are by far the most common, but RGB vandal switches, heatsink mounting brackets, case carry bags, and DC-DC power supplies are just a few examples of non-case projects here.​

Is this section only for commercial projects?
No, many of the projects here are made with the aspiration to do a production run but personal one-off projects are welcome too!​

This is currently a personal project, but what if I want to sell it later?
If you no longer need the case or other project and it's just a personal sale, use the Buy/Sell/Trade section. If you now want to produce and sell your design, please contact forum staff as per the Vendor Rules so we can set you up with a vendor banner.
Do I retain copyright over the designs I post here?
Yes. As per the Terms of Service, you do grant us a non-exclusive license to publish your content here, but you retain all copyright over your designs and content.​

Can I post links to my website, pre-order page, crowdfunding campaign, etc?
Yes, but please review the Vendor Rules here.​

Can I make a thread for a design or manufacturing question?
No, this section is currently for project threads only. This thread would be a good place to ask, as would the General, Hardware, or Modding sections depending on the question.​

Where can I leave questions or concerns about these guidelines?
Please leave any feedback about the Custom Cases & Projects sub-forum in the dedicated thread here.​

Status Prefixes

Threads in the Custom Cases & Projects section have the following status prefixes to choose from when creating or updating a project thread:

• CONCEPT: A project idea is being presented for feedback.
  • PROTOTYPING: The project is making the exciting leap from idea to reality!
  • FUNDING: The project creators are seeking funding through pre-orders, crowdfunding, etc.
  • PRODUCTION: The project is currently in production and/or available for purchase.
  • COMPLETED: The project has successfully finished and production has ended.
  • STALLED: The project is halted due to lack of funds, technical issues, etc.

How to change thread status:

Go to "Thread Tools" at the top of the page, then go to "Edit Thread" in the sub-menu to change the status prefix. The thread title can be updated from here as well.

Status Prefixes FAQ:

Do I have to use all the status prefixes over the course of a project?
No, only use the ones that make sense for your project. For example, personal projects would not typically use the FUNDING status since that is mostly intended for pre-orders and crowdfunding campaigns.​

Do I have to use the status prefixes in order?
No, every project is different and the order presented is just for reference.​

What if my project doesn't quite fit any of these statuses or fits in more than one?
Taking a project from idea to finalized product is complex and each journey is unique, so please just pick the status that closest reflects the current state of the project. Feel free to contact the staff for input if you're not sure.​

Would I use PROTOTYPING or PRODUCTION for a personal project?
Either is fine, but PROTOTYPING is probably more suitable since in a personal project it's usually just a one-off and there won't be more manufactured.​

I think the status prefixes need fixing!
Uh, that's not really a question, but you can leave your comments about the status prefixes in the dedicated feedback thread here.​

Status
Not open for further replies.