Concept Water Leak Protection for PC

NShe

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
I am starting a new project for developing a set of hardware that can be used to detect water leak in custom loops. If leak is detected, the power will be shut off.

I am still researching and prototyping the electronic part.

I plan to price this water leak protection system for ~45 USD

Do you guys think this is a good project for people with custom water loops? and what about the price?

I will update frequently with progress. Please support me(a college student) to start my first real-world project.
Also PLEASE check out my recent one-off itx case design and build log: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/custom-water-cooled-itx-pc-project-in-12-5l.9977/

NShe

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
Components for the detection system:

1. Sensors.

2. Controller for sensors.

3. Power shut-off unit.

Here is product description:

1. Sensors will be placed on the important components of the PC (motherboard, GPU, PSU, Water pump and Res.)

2. Sensors are all connect to a controller using custom sleeved cables that would match the color of builds. One wire will be enough for each sensor. Therefore, the sensors wouldn't affect the aesthetic of build.

3. When water leak is detected, power shut-off unit will shut off the power.

4. I plan to sell the final product around 40-45 USD.

Initial Prototype Test Results:

1. Power shut off time when leak detected: 11-15 ms = 0.01 second

2. Repeatability: 99% (more than 100 test conducted so far)

Reactions: rfarmer

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
I like the idea of improved safety for watercooling. Though, as I have never made a loop myself (yet), I'm asking myself if this is really a big problem? I know a few people who watercool. They haven't had a single leakage till now.

Additionally, isn't it hard to detect every single leakage possible. Every connection might leak after some time, so will there be a sensor at every connection? Otherwise you'd miss some drops, right?