Cooling Cryorig C1 vs Thermalright AXP-200 Muscle

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Hi everyone, seeking any experience or opinions on these two coolers which are both pretty niche. The Cryorig seems to have more street cred. The heatpipe design suggests that it should be a little better, and it has a little bit more mass.

I saw a couple of reviews indicating that the TR is marginally better if given the same fan. It's strangely rated for an unrealistic sounding 180W load vs the 140W for the Cryorig. It's also $20 cheaper but doesn't get talked about very much.

TIA

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I just did a quick survey to compare these 2. It seems they are very comparable thermally and acoustically speaking.
So, perhaps you need to consider other factors (eg: ease of installation, price, warranty terms, aesthetic and physical compatibility with other PC components) to decide which one suits you better.

Reactions: Gautam and cmyk78

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
There's the Raijintek Pallas, which tends to perform a bit better than both aforementioned coolers ;)
Funny, I was thinking of listing it, but by default it appears worse than the other two on paper. Pretty significantly less mass, smaller overall. It comes with a faster fan, which would explain it being better if all 3 are kept at stock. It's the cheapest, which is nice. I see one review demonstrating it being better than the TR with both using the same fan, but I'm pretty skeptical. It also only easily works with slim fans, as it uses clips rather than screws, which is bothersome. I will be using a 25mm fan.

The Cryorig is winning for me for only one reason that'll be appreciated on this forum better than elsewhere; its longest dimension is 145mm while the others are 150 and 153. 8mm is a pretty big deal when it comes to cramming cables. I'm designing a case and having to increase a dimension by that much would be annoying.

Still, I'm intrigued enough that I might just try all 3... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: owliwar

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
In case anyone is interested, I ended up getting the C1, the Pallas and a Corsair H60 for comparison. The Rajintek and Corsair appear to be neck-in-neck and are narrowly superior to the C1, to my surprise. All 3 of them reach the upper 90's with a 135W load. (6700k@4.5 w/1.3v P95 small fft) I'm still surprised that the Pallas is supposedly able to handle a 180W load. I do strongly prefer both of the heatsinks to the AIO. The pump noise is very gentle, but I'd still rather do away with it altogether.

At stock clocks with turbo enabled, the heatsinks pretty much never make noise when paired with a Noctua P14s-redux. Even Prime95 only brings it to 800 RPM.

Reactions: NateDawg72

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019
hi, sorry to bring this up again, but any chance you did test the cryorig c1 without the fan? i'm trying to find out if it can passively cool a Ryzen 3600x that has a tdp of 95w (it should suck up less than 130watts from the AMD slides has shown)

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I ran a 6700K with Cryorig C1 for years in a Ncase M1. 1.32 volts at 4.6ghz on all cores. I saw low 80s max temp in Prime.

I swapped the stock fan for a Noiseblocker 1200 RPM unit, and had an intake with an identical fan directly over it on the side panel.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
hi, sorry to bring this up again, but any chance you did test the cryorig c1 without the fan? i'm trying to find out if it can passively cool a Ryzen 3600x that has a tdp of 95w (it should suck up less than 130watts from the AMD slides has shown)

Not going to happen I’m afraid. The fin stack is to thin and dense for passive cooling, and orientation is wrong as well. It might handle a 35 watt cpu...might.

Passive cooling needs a large gap between thick fins with a top to bottom convection path. Noctua demoed it on a stock 9900K at 95 watts recently at a trade show, but you need a big case to fit it. The case was also burning hot.

If you want to go fanless in a SFF case, choose one that allows for a tall tower cooler, and buy the biggest one that will fit. Then buy a T-series CPU at 35 watts, and add a low RPM quite fan for the exhaust of the case like a Nexus, Noctua, or Noiseblocker. You’ll need some airflow.

I honestly think the NZXT H200 or that new Lian Li M1 lookalike is your best bet.