Motherboard Crosshair VIII Impact

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
I can buy that this board is pricey because it is a high end board; but let's look at the ITX/DTX X570 market - 3 cards available:

Asus ROG Strix ITX, $370
Asrock Phantom Gaming ITX, $230
Gigabyte Aourus Pro ITX, $220

ROG Strix has the same VRM solution as the C8I and same amount of m.2 slots, and the other two, well.. Probably don't wanna put a 3950X in them, but otherwise fine. The C8I doesn't make much sense then for SFF, since it limits your options considerably.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I can buy that this board is pricey because it is a high end board; but let's look at the ITX/DTX X570 market - 3 cards available:

Asus ROG Strix ITX, $370
Asrock Phantom Gaming ITX, $230
Gigabyte Aourus Pro ITX, $220

ROG Strix has the same VRM solution as the C8I and same amount of m.2 slots, and the other two, well.. Probably don't wanna put a 3950X in them, but otherwise fine. The C8I doesn't make much sense then for SFF, since it limits your options considerably.

the gigabyte has the same or better VRM than the Asus, so why wouldn´t you put a 3950x on it?

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
the gigabyte has the same or better VRM than the Asus, so why wouldn´t you put a 3950x on it?

Does it? A 1x6 array with cheaper components vs a 2x4 array with more expensive components may paint a different picture. Then again, not an expert on these matters, nor thoroughly researched here, just a quick glance.

Anyway, point still stands; I struggle to see where the C8I really fit in. The dimensions of the board makes it incompatible with many otherwise DTX-capable cases; If you want to go with a larger case, µATX and even ATX would be a better fit in most cases; and you *need* the riser card to fit an m.2 drive.

Only selling point I can see is that it allows for two PCIe 4.0 m.2 drives. If you do not need that (and most don't), well, either buy the x570 Strix if you really need the premium VRM stuff, an x570 Aorus Pro, or a cheaper B450 ITX motherboard depending on your need and budget.

Shame, really; fitting four m.2 drives would be a major selling point for the board, as I said earlier, and the mDTX definitely brings a lot to the table.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
ahm ok, you are right. I remembered it to have 8 phases but 2 are for Soc, I didn´t remember correctly, nevermind. I will put a 3950x on it though, so we will find out soon (hopefully) if it´s capable or not :D

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
According to Buildzoid (who is somewhat of an authority on these things) the C8I has arguably the best VRM on any X570 board, and he specifically called it out as one of his top two boards for the platform regardless of form factor. That is saying something.

@wertigon why do you say the C8I is incompatible with cases that would otherwise be DTX compatible? Due to the height of the SODIMM.2 board? Outside of sandwich style cases (where the overhang from the board beyond the PCIe slot would interfere with riser cables in most cases) it shouldn't be an issue, seeing how a standard height GPU is far taller than it. This isn't a board for air cooling, sure, but that's to be expected in this market segment.

As for fitting two PCIe 4.0 SSDs as a selling point though, it isn't much of one given that every other X570 ITX board except the ASRock has that to - including the strix. The C8I is for people wanting a crazy VRM, a bunch of headers, LN2 mode, on board buttons, and so on. I.e. mostly overclockers, but also enthusiasts with a lot of money. For everyone else the Strix will be plenty.

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
@wertigon why do you say the C8I is incompatible with cases that would otherwise be DTX compatible? Due to the height of the SODIMM.2 board? Outside of sandwich style cases (where the overhang from the board beyond the PCIe slot would interfere with riser cables in most cases) it shouldn't be an issue, seeing how a standard height GPU is far taller than it. This isn't a board for air cooling, sure, but that's to be expected in this market segment.

Like I said, I find the board kind of limiting for anything sub-15L, and see little reason to go with mITX/mDTX if the case exceeds 15L. Some cases can hold it, like the Sugo SG05-Lite and NCase M1, but others like the Sugo SG13 or virtually any sandwich case or console style case, not as much. If you were to list every case being produced today as sub 15L, I think you'd find most are not possible to fit this board in there.

As for fitting two PCIe 4.0 SSDs as a selling point though, it isn't much of one given that every other X570 ITX board except the ASRock has that to - including the strix.

Technically, many of those secondary m.2 slots are PCIe 3.0, but you are completely right in that it isn't a selling point, like, at all. Theoretically, speaking, you could take the Strix design, move it over to the mDTX form factor, and easily fit two extra m.2 slots on the excess space - if not four.

Nothing quite screams "buy me" like the ability to have eight to twelve terabyte of NVME greatness in a small form package like the J-Hack Pure X or XL, but perhaps that's just me. :)

The C8I is for people wanting a crazy VRM, a bunch of headers, LN2 mode, on board buttons, and so on. I.e. mostly overclockers, but also enthusiasts with a lot of money. For everyone else the Strix will be plenty.

This is a fair point, and I agree with you on this. And to be fair, these are but my personal feelings on the matter. The C8I is a damn good premium board, I just wish it had slightly more concrete points than great VRMs, because I find it quite a tough sell right now.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Like I said, I find the board kind of limiting for anything sub-15L, and see little reason to go with mITX/mDTX if the case exceeds 15L. Some cases can hold it, like the Sugo SG05-Lite and NCase M1, but others like the Sugo SG13 or virtually any sandwich case or console style case, not as much. If you were to list every case being produced today as sub 15L, I think you'd find most are not possible to fit this board in there.
You're likely right about this, though the simple counter-argument would be "if your cooling system can fit in a >15l case, you don't need the C8I".
Technically, many of those secondary m.2 slots are PCIe 3.0, but you are completely right in that it isn't a selling point, like, at all. Theoretically, speaking, you could take the Strix design, move it over to the mDTX form factor, and easily fit two extra m.2 slots on the excess space - if not four.
Are they 3.0? Which board? Gigabyte has "Dual PCIe 4.0 m.2", Asus Strix has "Dual PCIe 4.0 m.2", the ASRock only has a single m.2 slot, and AFAIK there are no other ITX boards currently launched or showed for X570 beyond the C8I. Remember, chipset ports on X570 are also PCIe 4.0. While I agree that sticking another m.2 on the back of the C8I would make sense, it probably wasn't feasible in terms of actually getting the traces routed to where they needed to go.
Nothing quite screams "buy me" like the ability to have eight to twelve terabyte of NVME greatness in a small form package like the J-Hack Pure X or XL, but perhaps that's just me. :)
That would indeed be attractive, though that would likely be overly expensive even for most people in the market for a $400 motherboard. Still, the option would be nice.
This is a fair point, and I agree with you on this. And to be fair, these are but my personal feelings on the matter. The C8I is a damn good premium board, I just wish it had slightly more concrete points than great VRMs, because I find it quite a tough sell right now.
That's the type of diminishing returns you get at the ultra-high end of motherboards. They rarely make sense, and very often rely on less tangible benefits that matter to a tiny percentage of people. I was thinking of getting the C8I mostly due to the "creature comfort" features (insanely efficient VRM = very little heat outside of my water loop; plenty of fan headers; thermal sensor header for my water temp sensor; ease of SSD installation due to no drives on the back of the board) and that I wouldn't be paying for it with my own money, but after discovering the Aquacomputer Quadro (which has plenty of fan headers + more than one thermal sensor header while being very small) I've gone back on that, thinking the Strix is likely more than good enough. I won't be upgrading for a while anyhow (need a suitable AMD GPU upgrade to exist first), so I guess I'll have plenty of time to consider my board options. But again, make no mistake, the C8I is not a board designed for people who care about value.

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
Are they 3.0? Which board?

Sorry, misread the spec sheet - if you put a 2000 series they are 3.0 else 4.0, but that goes for all boards.

That would indeed be attractive, though that would likely be overly expensive even for most people in the market for a $400 motherboard. Still, the option would be nice.

You don't have to buy all drives at once, but the option allows for quite a bit of space optimization. I mean, take something like the P-ATX, cut it in half for a 5L case with a 180mm graphics card, cooling and PSU with 8 TB of storage, all of it upgradable. That's the kind of tech worth spending a few bucks extra for. :)

But again, make no mistake, the C8I is not a board designed for people who care about value.

Yeah, I get that it's more of a "tech pusher" board than anything else, still disappointed they didn't reach slightly more beyond for that price... Oh well. Nothing is perfect!

Reactions: Valantar

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
The C8I is for people wanting a crazy VRM, a bunch of headers, LN2 mode, on board buttons, and so on. I.e. mostly overclockers, but also enthusiasts with a lot of money.
To my knowledge, the Strix has the identical VRMs, so its true novelty comes down more to the overclocker-specific features on the board that "luxurize" its ease of use through BIOS Flashback, the more informative diagnostic LEDs, and the plethora of buttons and connectors. The audio features are practically immaterial because audiophiles well know that motherboards have issues with increased noise and distortion compared to a decent $100 external or outboard DAC.