Motherboard Crosshair VIII Impact

w4e

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Sep 14, 2019
I've heard of this motherboard, but when will it be out? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
Does anyone know how tall that m.2 SO-DIMM tray is, and would it fit a Sugo SG05-Lite or Sugo SG13?

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
sounds about right. maybe the module is about 7Xmm? i can't find where i got the 70mm size from. maybe a dream

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
81.96mm tall from the motherboard pcb, as measured by @confusis at Computex earlier this year...?

Ah, ok!

Am I right to assume that you then would need a case that supports 75mm+ CPU cooler heights?

Asus didn't quite think those dimensions through properly, unfortunately.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Ah, ok!

Am I right to assume that you then would need a case that supports 75mm+ CPU cooler heights?

I believe ASUS is aiming the C8I more at the AIO & Custom Loop crowd, rather than Air Heads...

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Ah, ok!

This is not a board built for ultra-thin cases, even sandwich-style is (pretty much) a no-go due to the card extending down past the PCIe slot. There's very little reason to go for this board unless it's for a completely balls-to-the-wall build, in which case you'd struggle to cool the CPU in a case like that anyhow. The Strix or any other X570 board should be suitable for pretty much any other build.

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Nov 6, 2018
considering the addon cards almost reach 80mm, this board would only fit in big cube cases or mini itx tower cases such as nzxt h200 and the like.

i wonder what SFF build could be done with this board..........

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
considering the addon cards almost reach 80mm, this board would only fit in big cube cases or mini itx tower cases such as nzxt h200 and the like.

... or any case with a normally mounted GPU, such as the Ncase M1? Last I checked, normal height GPUs are much more than 82mm tall.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I am building my C8I rig in a Cerberus chassis, which is about 18 liters or so (definately under 20 liters), so that will be a SFF build...

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
This board should work in the Sugo SG05 / SG05-Lite, which is around 10.5 liters. Doubt you can get much lower than that. Like I said earlier, it's a dud for sandwich cases and console-style cases, but cubes work quite well if you can accomodate the 75mm cooler height requirement.

On the plus side, this board does have enough m.2 slots to not need any external drives, making it sorta ideal for a high performing NAS or SFF workstation with 8 TB of storage. I support the idea but think they could've executed it better (the riser card could have used both sides for m.2 and a U-shaped heatsink on top of those), but whatever.

I see the market but current price points keep it from truly competing. At $250 this would be a no brainer.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
This board should work in the Sugo SG05 / SG05-Lite, which is around 10.5 liters. Doubt you can get much lower than that. Like I said earlier, it's a dud for sandwich cases and console-style cases, but cubes work quite well if you can accomodate the 75mm cooler height requirement.

On the plus side, this board does have enough m.2 slots to not need any external drives, making it sorta ideal for a high performing NAS or SFF workstation with 8 TB of storage. I support the idea but think they could've executed it better (the riser card could have used both sides for m.2 and a U-shaped heatsink on top of those), but whatever.

I see the market but current price points keep it from truly competing. At $250 this would be a no brainer.

The C8I has a total of two M.2 slots, both on the SO-DIMM2 module, which has a single M.2 slot on each side...

One has 4x PCI channels straight to the CPU, and the other routes its 4x PCI channels thru the X570 chipset...

US$250 would be awesome, but I would not hold my breath, I am hoping for a maximum of US$350...

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
The C8I has a total of two M.2 slots, both on the SO-DIMM2 module, which has a single M.2 slot on each side...

Wait... Was under the impression it also had an m.2 on the backside and one at the bottom next to the PCIe 16x slot?

Might have confused this board with another, I think Asus has other boards that use the same SO-DIMM m.2 board then.

Still, a bit surprised it takes an 80 mm board to fit a single 25mm wide m.2 slot, but oh well.

US$250 would be awesome, but I would not hold my breath, I am hoping for a maximum of US$350...

Indeed, at $400 it is pricey, especially as ITX competitors exist at the $250 range with the same chipset. Also, those ITX boards also have two m.2 slots, so why even bother with the C8I then?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Wait... Was under the impression it also had an m.2 on the backside and one at the bottom next to the PCIe 16x slot?

Might have confused this board with another, I think Asus has other boards that use the same SO-DIMM m.2 board then.

Still, a bit surprised it takes an 80 mm board to fit a single 25mm wide m.2 slot, but oh well.

Indeed, at $400 it is pricey, especially as ITX competitors exist at the $250 range with the same chipset. Also, those ITX boards also have two m.2 slots, so why even bother with the C8I then?
The two m.2 slots on the riser aren't directly behind each other, but staggered. Likely has to do with PCIe signal integrity or something, but possibly something as simple as mounting screws/standoffs needing to clear the traces/slot on the opposite end. There are also fan headers and some other stuff on the riser card, but those aren't big enough to need much space. Also, remember that an m.2 2280 is noticeably longer than a SODIMM slot, so the card becomes taller simly due to m.2 slots needing to be above the SODIMM latches. So it's more like 1.5x 25mm wide m.2 slot + however tall SODIMM latches are + any clearance for the other ports on the card + height added by the heatsink.

I don't think it's known yet whether the audio board lives in a standard m.2 slot or if they're just using the physical interface for something entirely different.

I agree that $400 is pricy, but this is an ultra-high-end board, with VRM and chipset cooling way beyond the competition. Also, it has one of the best X570 VRMs, period. And a bunch of high-end features like thermal sensor inputs, LN2 mode, and so on. This is not a $250 board, and featuresets like this aren't seen on $250 boards pretty much ever and regardless of form factor. Given that the price floor for X570 is just barely below $200 for now, this is relatively "reasonable" in terms of how large a premium you're paying - normally ITX starts out at around $50 beyond the cheapest ATX boards, with ultra-high-end boards normally being $200+ beyond that again. This is just the confluence of an expensive platform (mainly due to the reportedly $40-ish chipset (compared to something like $5 for a traditional one) and this platform being attractive enough for motherboard makers to truly go bonkers on designing high-end boards. There's nothing comparable to the C8I on Z390, for example.