Cooling CPU air coolers where you - hear me out - screw in fans! Instead of clipping on. I know right?

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
Having put in an order for a C24 - sugar cube - case through superbuy, I figured I'd start looking for a suitable aircooler to fill it with. I've always had a soft spot for coolers like the Alpenföhn blackridge, noctua NH-C14S and NH-L12S, Dark Rock TF. You know, the ones where if you peek inside to look at your motherboard, you've got a massive finstack you have to peek through.

However, they all feature something that puts me off pretty much every single cooler, low profile or beefy tower ... silly little metal wireclips to hold the fan on. I get that they are very handy and work well. No the fan won't come loose. I know, I know.

But I like screwing things into other things. So I'd like to screw my fans onto my heatsink. But that begs the question: are there any that will fit on an asus B550I and allow for 1 or 2 slim 120 mm noctua chromax fans to go on? Height isn't really a concern, have 130 mm to play with in this sub 10l case. Luxury!

Reactions: darksable

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
A week has gone by, but no responses. So I'll add input of my own. Hope some of you can contribute somewhat later on?

I found the AXP-100 and AXP-200 series by Thermalright use screws to secure fans. The AXP-100 allows for one 120 mm fan to screw on. The AXP-200 allows mounting of a 140 mm fan. There's also the Scythe Shuriken that uses screws.

Interestingly, there's a few cooler master coolers that provide a black metal bracket that screws onto the fan first and then clips neatly over the cooler. I wonder if these can be sold seperatly, and if they clip onto most coolers or only ones shoped specifically by cooler master?

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
This is probably the weirdest thing I've ever seen anyone get concerned about.

What CPU are you using?

Reactions: Bakaban

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
Nothing that needs particularly well planned out cooling, just a ryzen 5 3600. But I'm a simple man with a soft spot for:
- seeing a massive heatsink fin array when looking at my motherboard, obscuring the ram, the cables, everything. If there was a cooler that could fit my motherboard, nicely centered and covering it end to end, all 17 x 17 cm. Well ... i'd be a happy man.
- attaching fans with screws and not stringy wire clips.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
In 2007, Scythe showed a prototype monster. I bet it is larger than 170x170.

It did not make it to production. Instead, Scythe released Susano, which measures 210x210. So, it is larger than 170x170. Unfortunately, it does not seem it is compatible with AMD AM4 socket (Ryzen 5 3600). But it fits 115x. So, maybe you switch to Intel's equivalent (eg i5-10400 )? Regardless, it is 160mm tall! And, it uses weakling fan clips!

Reactions: Bakaban

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
Well, it does look awesome. But also like something that'll bend your motherboard by hanging off it. Good lord.