Cooling a Dell 330W ac adapter

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I've never seen an HDPLEX 400 die. And I would think I would have killed one by now. :)

Actually, I've never seen an HDPLEX PSU die. I've seen two defective ones, ever.

It is way more likely something happened with your brick (like 90% range) and next your DC jack (like 8% range) than your HDPLEX dieing.

Even the posts on here where the HDPLEX was blamed, it ended up being (surprise) the power brick.

TL;DR--it's always the power brick. :)

Mr_NumNutz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Thanx for the comment Josh. I will try and get one of gurys modded bricks then.. I need to find a way to test the hdplex without spending another 100 on another brick before I know for sure.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thanx for the comment Josh. I will try and get one of gurys modded bricks then.. I need to find a way to test the hdplex without spending another 100 on another brick before I know for sure.

Well Gary only mods 12v bricks (I think)...the HDPLEX won't operate at 12v so you would need to replace your DC-DC too.

I'm sure you knew that, but just in case...

BTW I'm happy to test any hardware you want me to for free. Just pay shipping.

Peace

Mr_NumNutz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
I really appreciate the offer especially knowing how busy you must be.
I think I may take you up on that, If u want to take it to pm and we can sort something out?

Mr_NumNutz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
@Josh | NFC well I did some experimenting after I just purchased a new dell brick.. when inserting and moving the cable around the hdplex light goes on and off..
After a bit of wriggling it turns out it's the DC Jack that's broken.

So you was correct.

Now to order some new parts and make a new DC connector for the hdplex.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC well I did some experimenting after I just purchased a new dell brick.. when inserting and moving the cable around the hdplex light goes on and off..
After a bit of wriggling it turns out it's the DC Jack that's broken.

So you was correct.

Now to order some new parts and make a new DC connector for the hdplex.

Cool! Great work tracking down the problem. Best of luck fixing it.

Mr_NumNutz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Any idea what the 3 wires coming from the dell brick are? Obviously live and ground.. isn't the other wire a signal wire? How would this be wired for the hdplex?

Any help appreciated.

Mr_NumNutz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Found out its ground on the outside, live just inside the barrel and the center pin is signal. That's for the brick to relay with the laptop so not needed.

Reactions: BrotherStein