Cooler For: Msi MPG B550I Gaming Edge Max Wifi

LordNothing

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
initially i bought a noctua c14s. what i did not know is that this mobo seems to have a higher than usual cpu socket that causes some fitment issues with the top panel. as much as i like the c14s, its just not working with this mobo. you can get it in if you take the top panel off (i printed new retention mechanisms so i can still snap the top on so it hovers 5 or 6 mm above the top of the case but it looks kind of awkward and feels kind of flimsy). it also puts a lot of strain on both the mains pigtail and both of the usb3 headers. i don't like any of these situations. is there another air cooler with similar performance known to work with this mobo? or perhaps recommend an aio that is known to fit (and not leak).

yimingwuzere

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2020
If you intend to keep the C14S, your only options on AM4 B550/X570 chipsets are Asus and Asrock. None of the existing Gigabyte or MSI ones will fit.

The Asetek-derived AIOs (e.g. NZXT's) are the easiest readily available ones that will fit well. I use the EK Basic 240 in mine, this runs a bit long so only slim fans can be used for the rear 92mm slot, and the tubing position on the CPU block is less than ideal which makes aligning the tubes neatly to be impossible.

LordNothing

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
i did finally get it to work. the process involved the separate am4 mounting kit to enable 90 degree rotation. but the heat pipes were poking my video card. i used some kapton tape as a temp fix. the 1060 i was using at the time didnt have a backplate, but i had a 2070 super that did, and there needed to be more clearance for that.

so i had to eventually offset my mounting brackets (the ones that mount to the block) a few mm. the kit came with a spare set anyway it case it didnt work i could use the cooler elsewhere. the process involved 2 carbide drill bits and four hours with a set of diamond files and some longer m3 screws, nuts and washers (i intended to tap the holes, but the drill operation was to messy for that, had to clean it up with files and use the new hardware). the mod turned out to work gloriously. i think i lost some contact area, but it works.

Last edited: