John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Hi all,

Firstly - what format do you all prefer to consume your content in? Please vote in the poll.
Currently all content we produce is in written format. In the future though, we'd like to have the option to produce more.

The options elaborated;
-Written - as per current
-Video Only - each article will be in video format only
-Both - video format, with script and more in the written article
-Other - let us know in the thread below.

Contributions;

As you may be aware, our content production isn't exactly.. highly frequent. We're all working full time, we have mouths to feed and companies to run and work for. We'll be doing more and more over time but we want to invite contributors when we can to provide even more great content by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. As SFFn grows though, we will be able to focus more on content and giving you all great, focused content.

In the meantime though, we need content, and lots of it. This is where you come in.

We are on the look out for contributors. This could be anything from an editorial, a guide or a full blown review, as long as it is SFF focused.

Aibohphobia, PlayfulPhoenix and I are happy to edit and upload articles from our community. The articles will be attributed to you.

See here for more information on the contribution process: https://smallformfactor.net/become-a-contributor

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I dislike video, probably because I'm old school. Also because I dislike video for it's lack of easy "scanning" and searchability. It also tends to have condensed information, lacking detail. It's much harder and more costly for the reviewer to do (well).

I'm one of those "grandpas" that doesn't get why people prefer YouTube for everything (even music *shudder*).

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Video also makes it damn near impossible to cite data elsewhere. e,g, Linus Tech Tips have some excellent tests of esoteric setups, but every time I want to actually use those numbers I need to find the video (searching only using a guess of the title of the video), then manually scrub through looking for the on-screen numbers, then type those numbers into another window.
Video is however great as an embedded supplement to illustrate something that is difficult to explain in test and images (e.g. a clearance issue when attempting to install components in a certain order).

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I like videos because I'm young and lazy (bring it on, Phuncz :p), but I do indeed want all the information in a written article as well for the reasons EdZ described.

I'd love to contribute, but just like you I have a busy live. It seems to me like I couldn't provide content of high enough quality.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Good points guys. It seems like a written review is the way to go so far, maybe with snippets of video for certain things (installing a cooler, lighting effects, etc)

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Interesting link, thanks! The first videos may be on my smartphone though.. in saying that it can do 1080p@30fps, optical stabilization, etc. I have a tripod for it too. Would record audio separately though.

Back in the LOSIAS and SFFReview days, we used to do podcasts, but with timezones and work they were difficult to set up. I'm in New Zealand (GMT +13 at the moment) and Aibohphobia and PlayfulPhoenix are in the USA, which makes scheduling difficult. Maybe something for the future though.. or I get the old LOSIAS crew together for some banter!

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
or I get the old LOSIAS crew together for some banter!
Part of me thinks this could be cool, the other part of me thinks it could be lethal

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Interesting read on how to improve audio quality considerably for a relatively low price:
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-set-up-a-streaming-studio-for-under-150/

This might be useful for noise recording and voice recording.
A good article, but misses a bit of low-hanging fruit for home recording: sound reflections. Particularly if you're in a small room, you can make a MASSIVE difference in recording quality by cutting down on reflections from the walls and ceiling. Even without proper acoustic foam, you can get a very effective reduction by getting some cheap duvets to hang from the walls.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
My preference of content type is based on the subject matter. If it's an SSD review, I want written. If it's a computer case, I want a video.

Depending on the service used, videos can be made with time stamps and a table of contents to segment the different sections covered in a review - no different than how written reviews approach this, but yes, you still wouldn't be able to easily pinpoint a very specific section of a video if you are looking for it. A couple of the ones I've posted on SFF required a bit of digging :)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
In the short term, building a base of written content is what we'll really be focused on. We also have some stuff in the pipeline that will bolster the forums and (hopefully!) do a lot to bulk up the content available across our websites. But things like videos and podcasts are a natural extension and expansion of this work, so we've been curious as to whether or not there's value in that for people.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts!

Reactions: Phuncz and confusis