Compact Splash #85

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Hey everyone!

Been lurking on the forums for a bit. Changing a few things out on my compact splash, figured I would do a build log.

Mainly changing out fans from eloops to gentle typhoons. I wasn't very impressed with the eloops performance and were rather loud above 600 rpm. Doing a complete teardown to clean everything out as well.

Will be posting some pictures later today.

Current specs
5820k @ 4.5ghz
Asrock x99 itx
16gb DDR4
Gigabyte G1 GTX 970
500gb & 250gb EVO 850 SSDs

Was thinking of upgrading my GPU but currently have no need to........never thought I would say haha.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Nice, don't think there's been a Compact Splash build log here yet. I look forward to it :)

And welcome to the forum!

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Thanks guys!

It won't be to much different from the link 3lfk1ng posted.

Originally I had all 3 fans as intake which made the case, chipset and PSU get pretty toasty. This time they will all be exhaust and fresh air can enter through the back of the case.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Love the CS case, wish I had bought one before. That hardline watercooled Compact Splash is really well done, slipped past my radar on OCN.

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Picture time!

Picture quality isn't the best, was limited on time :(

Here was my build before the teardown

Back to the basics!

The entire reason for the tear down besides a good cleaning! Hoping the gently typhoons will be quieter at higher RPMs. I don't believe the eloops are a terrible fan but at higher RPMs they got pretty noisy. I think most of the noise was coming from the turbulence over the fan grills of the compact splash and not the fan itself.

The EK rads are a pretty tight fit since the case was designed around the xspc rads. The front rad barley fits on the back side and the top rad blocks my fill port in the new layout :(

5820k :D thought about changing for the 6800k but not really worth it in my opinion.

Asrock X99 itx motherboard, this thing has been great so far and never had any issues.

Progress so far! Motherboard is always a pain to put in this case, it will not just slide in like normal. I have to take out the left two motherboard standoffs put the board in then carefully replace the standoffs.

While I was at it, I replaced the fan in the Corsair SF600 with a slim noctua fan. With my old layout, all the hot air would be inside the case and the psu would be crazy loud sucking all that hot air in.

Hopefully will have some more updates tomorrow! :)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Your old build already looked fantastic! Will you change anything aesthetically or will that part stay the same?

It'll be interesting to see how that negative pressure setup works out. I think the PSU could recycle quite a bit of its own exhaust, maybe at least the front fan should be intake.

Or you could reverse the fan on the PSU, that'd be cool as well.

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Looks great...I wish I picked up a Compact Splash as well....annndd is that White Fox I spot in the last picture??? I got one from the last drop on massdrop and hoping to get it in November

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Your old build already looked fantastic! Will you change anything aesthetically or will that part stay the same?

It'll be interesting to see how that negative pressure setup works out. I think the PSU could recycle quite a bit of its own exhaust, maybe at least the front fan should be intake.

Or you could reverse the fan on the PSU, that'd be cool as well.

Thanks!

Aesthetically not much is changing exept the fans are exhaust and a little bit of the loop will be changing but not much. My front IO is missing in my original build, the bottom is pretty tight with two SSDs and wiring. Might pick up a m.2 to help remove some of that clutter.

I was actually thinking about flipping the PSU fan after I put it all back together haha. I think negative pressure will be good in my situation and I plan on getting a dust filter for the back of the case as well.

I could make the front intake but my OCD won't allow that haha.

Looks great...I wish I picked up a Compact Splash as well....annndd is that White Fox I spot in the last picture??? I got one from the last drop on massdrop and hoping to get it in November

Good eye, that is a white fox! The keyboard is great, you will love it! What configuration did you go with?

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Good eye, that is a white fox! The keyboard is great, you will love it! What configuration did you go with?

I picked up the True Fox with Cherry MX Reds. I'm starting to wish I went with the Cherry MX Browns now. I recently sold my Corsair K70 MX Reds and purchased a Qisan Magicforce with MX Brown keys and I love it. Brown's seem to have a better feel for me, gaming and typing wise.

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
Picture time!

While I was at it, I replaced the fan in the Corsair SF600 with a slim noctua fan. With my old layout, all the hot air would be inside the case and the psu would be crazy loud sucking all that hot air in.

Hopefully will have some more updates tomorrow! :)

Looks like a nice build!

I have a question about the fan mod on the SF600. I did it myself on my SF460 however I connected the fan directly to the motherboard and not to the psu pcb board. How did you connect yours? The fan is a 2pin fan and as far as I know it does follow a normal voltage range compared to a standard 3 or 4 pin fan would. Also I would recommend measuring the exhaust temperature to make sure you get somewhat adequate cooling with the fan swap.

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Looks like a nice build!

I have a question about the fan mod on the SF600. I did it myself on my SF460 however I connected the fan directly to the motherboard and not to the psu pcb board. How did you connect yours? The fan is a 2pin fan and as far as I know it does follow a normal voltage range compared to a standard 3 or 4 pin fan would. Also I would recommend measuring the exhaust temperature to make sure you get somewhat adequate cooling with the fan swap.

Thanks!

I cut the 2 pin connector off the corsair fan and soldered it onto the noctua. PWM fans have a 4 pins which are ground, 12v, RPM signal, PWM signal. With the 2 pin, I only needed to solder the ground and 12v, the other two are useless as the psu will determine how much voltage is given to the fan to adjust RPMs. Now yes, the nocuta fan does have a different rpm range at different voltages then the corsair fan but so far in my testing the fan swap is working great.

A few updates :)

Cleaned out the EK evo cpu block. The bracket I had to use for the x99 itx board was a pain to get. The board uses a narrow ilm socket type (mainly used in servers). I could not find the bracket anywhere in the states and had to order from EK directly which was pretty costly.

Block assembled and ready for install.

Using a PWM-DDC pump with a Bitspower mini tank top and EK nickel plated bottom. The EK bottom comes with rubber feet to keep vibrations down and with the pump running at 30% it's silent.

The pump bracket in the compact splash has two different sets of holes to mount the pump. I had to use the set closest to the motherboard as the pump was just about touching the fan. The pictures below is after adjusting the position of the pump.

FITTINGS!!! Probably a majority of the cost of the build :(

At a stopping point.....waiting on more fittings. Started laying the loop back out and noticed that I need 2 more 90s since I moved the top rad up. I thought I had enough but I was thinking about 90s that run rad to tube and not the ones for tube to tube :( Oh well, they should be here Saturday. Always have to be missing at least one thing haha

Last edited:

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Big update!

GPU block installed, went back and forth a lot on whether to upgrade my 970.....decided to wait.

Tubing all done, didn't have to change much here.

Time for the not so fun part, cabling.... I have to take out the gpu to run my cables for underneath.

The reason for this is so I can fit the cables in a hole through the pump bracket. I cannot do this with the gpu installed, also makes it so I can't remove them easily either :(

Cables ran and gpu reinstalled

Now time to fit all of this under the gpu, this is always the most difficult part. Never have been able to fit my front IO with both ssds installed. I see a m.2 in my future!

Oh yeah and leds. My case has the tinted window and it's really dark.

Best thing ever! Molex to sata converter for pump

All in!

Loop filled, using EK's uv blue. No leaks :D

Fan flipped on psu since every fan is exhaust, didn't want the psu to recirculate it's own exhaust.

All done!!!! Here it is for now!

Currently uploading all of these pictures on this computer. I will update with temperature results once I do some more tests but so far it's way better then before. Everything in exhaust works out for the splash!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
It looks beautiful!

One thing to think about--I have flipped SFXPSU fans in the past too, until I blew one up in a spectacular display. My theory is reversing the fan the air all escaped out the side closest to the intake, so the hot components on the other side were not receiving airflow. I'm not saying your doing it wrong, but you have a fancy PC so I thought I would bring it up. :D

I love that chassis...

Reactions: Soul_Est

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
It looks beautiful!

One thing to think about--I have flipped SFXPSU fans in the past too, until I blew one up in a spectacular display. My theory is reversing the fan the air all escaped out the side closest to the intake, so the hot components on the other side were not receiving airflow. I'm not saying your doing it wrong, but you have a fancy PC so I thought I would bring it up. :D

I love that chassis...

Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely do some more testing over the next few days.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If possible I'd try with the front fan as intake, so the entire airflow is more balanced. Looks like it's coming together just fine !

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Ok ran a few tests.

Ambient room temperature 22c.

All fans were set at 25% fan speed, sweet spot for me noise wise.

Pump speed is set at 30%

Both side panels are installed.

5820k is over clocked at 4.4ghz at 1.22 volts and GTX 970 is over clocked to 1515mhz with no extra voltage.

I ran each test for 15 minutes

Aida64 only, stressing CPU
Average temperature - 54c
Hottest core - 58c

Heaven only
GPU - 45c

Aida64 and Heaven
Average CPU temperature - 66c
Hottest core - 70c
GPU - 48c

Very surprised the results were this good! I can definitely tell the gentle typhoons are pushing a lot more air through the radiators at the same RPMs compared to the eloops.

I wasn't trying achieve better CPU and GPU temperatures with this setup. I wanted to lower my motherboard chipset temperature, PSU fan noise and over fan noise.

With my old setup (all fans as intake and WITHOUT side panels) my motherboard chipset would hit 60+c, something I didn't care for. My PSU fan would be screaming trying to keep up with all the hot air feed to it.

With new setup (all fans exhaust and WITH side panels) my chipset hit a max of 47c. My PSU fan didn't even turn on during the above tests. The fan does work, tested that on another PC earlier. I'm guessing the fans are pulling so much air from the back of the case that it's able to passively cool the PSU so far. Now I probably will flip the fan back around as Josh suggested, I see his point there.

I'm very happy with the results! :)

Last edited: