Compact membrane keyboard with numpad, possibly stylish

SpaceTofu

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Hi all

I'm aware there's a "SFF keyboard" thread, however 96% of it is about mechanical keyboard.

I've you're with the idea of getting a mechanical keyboard, if anything for the wide array of options that there are out there, however I'm not a gamer, I'm not a writer and I actually quite like a silent keyboard.

I'm hencrforth looking for a compact membrane keyboard which incorporates a numpad too; my desk at home is being downsized and I do a lot of data stuff.
Big plus if stylish.
Not too bothered if wireless or not.

So far I've read about (and used) the old school, weird shape-y Dell keyboard, but it's not so stylish and quite clack-y.
Else the Microsoft modern, seems a good alternative, even though I've never tried it out muself.

Has someone else got some other advices for me?
TIA

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
The few membrane keyboards that i have seen did not impress me. I am curious about the laser projection keyboards as they should be completely silent and ... Well I just checked them out on Amazon and now faced with the choice of which to order.

Neil

Jovogdiar

Caliper Novice
Apr 29, 2018
I've been gaming on a Logitech K360 for 4 years, it's been great and nobody can tell me otherwise. Batteries last ages. I have been trying to find a low profile mechanical keyboard with that specific layout, but nobody else seems to make a keyboard with such a layout, mechanical or otherwise. I really like that the F keys are in line and close to the number keys as a game I play regularly uses them a lot. However, know that for a membrane keyboard it's far from being quiet.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Currently using a Dell KM717 I really like, nice and thin but hefty aluminum top not really compact but the mouse I dislike(1 wifi, 2 BT pairings). Have a SIIG slim-duo TKL I use with my Nvidia K1 tablet on travel but there's a ten key version pretty good feel, not bad mouse.

Last edited:

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Absolutely love my Logitech K380—the keys are soft and quiet, and it has a good, solid stance on the desk (no slipping, rattling, or fame noise). There’s a larger version, the K780, which includes a 10-key pad:

P.S: The Bluetooth multi-device feature is *awesome* if you’ve got more than one machine (or, in the case of the K780, an iPad/tablet to stick in the stand).

SpaceTofu

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
The few membrane keyboards that i have seen did not impress me. I am curious about the laser projection keyboards as they should be completely silent and ... Well I just checked them out on Amazon and now faced with the choice of which to order.
Neil

Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't even know suck keyboards existed - definitely not for me though.

Jovogdiar and August, thanks for pointing out respectively the Logitech K360 and K780.
August, don't you find difficult / awkward to type on the round keys of the K380?

Stevo_, the Dell KM717 has definitely the best design amongst all the keyboards mentioned here, pity it is so wide, if only it had the layout as those Logitech above! :(

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
August, don't you find difficult / awkward to type on the round keys of the K380?

Oddly enough, not at all. Any time I open my laptop back up, the square keys are what really throw me for a loop! Occasionally, I find it takes a moment longer to get oriented and hit a single key, but never in the middle of typing.

One nice thing about the round keys is that every point on its “edge” has the same feel, rather than the corners of square keys, which tend to flex/tilt a bit more. Overall—despite the smaller surface area—I don't think it's affected my typing habits much at all. I am either writing or coding for a good chunk of a typical day.

Still trying to get used to the swapped Function and Control keys (maybe it's the Apple keyboards that are backwards) and the addition of the forward-delete key in the upper-right corner.

FWIW, I came from the Apple Magic Keyboard, and loved it to death—but it got _loud_ after a few years!