CPU Chromax NF-A12x25 Delayed Again

D

Deleted member 23607

As M1AF said:

"Lmao. Oh Noctua. They constantly let me down.
I can literally paint my fans black without an issue. What's their excuse?
All this bullshit talk from Noctua about how precise the fans are and how close they are to the edge for the perfect airflow yada yada yada spray paint that bitch."

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I'm wondering if this is COVID logistics striking again. Ofc,, also, CNY starts in a few weeks--and after that nothing gets made, or moved off loading docks until mid March...and then it isn't until Q2 it gets outside of China.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
I just grabbed a couple thermaltake toughfan 12s. Basically copied the noctuas and perform on par, but im tired of waitin lol.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
As M1AF said:

"Lmao. Oh Noctua. They constantly let me down.
I can literally paint my fans black without an issue. What's their excuse?
All this bullshit talk from Noctua about how precise the fans are and how close they are to the edge for the perfect airflow yada yada yada spray paint that bitch."
@3lfk1ng put it perfectly on TechPowerUp:

3lfk1ng
pat-roner
But how hard is it to change the color of the fan?
Very difficult surprisingly.

The material that the fan is made of is designed to cut through the air without any turbulence or distortion.
The blades are incredibly rigid, which allows for greater airflow at a lower noise signature.

When changing the color of the blades, the chemical composition of the blade changes and so do the other properties that make their Sterrox fan specifications so special.
The issue is Sterrox, the unique material used for the fan. This is less of an issue with the coffee and cream color scheme as they are different for the blades and the frame. But most likely making both the plastic frame and Sterrox blades the same black is difficult.

Also spraypainting a fan might be an OK idea for modding, it's not a good idea for a company that's known for very high reliability and quality.

Testifier

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
Yeah, noctua can go shove those black a12x25 up their a**. The real OG is about to return

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I no longer care about any other fan now that Lian-Li Uni Fan is available. Daisy-chain? Pfft, how about LEGO-it instead 😎

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Painting a fan almost never achieves an even thickness of the painted layer. This does not matter for the frame. But for the fan blades, the unbalanced weight will create reliability problem when the fan spins up. This is just like an unbalanced tyre.

I am more interested to see the retail version of Noctua's fanless passive heatsink.

Reactions: Phuncz

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I no longer care about any other fan now that Lian-Li Uni Fan is available. Daisy-chain? Pfft, how about LEGO-it instead 😎

Those fans have a frame that is too thick, so they are more like 11cm fans and I think they don't perform even close to A12x25.

BTW Thermaltake has some fans that are basically the same as A12x25, they perform the same and are black.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Kinda cool that XPG is bringing the GT back and added some anti-vibration pads. Couldn't turn up any listings for em :/. Wish they'd updated it with a FDB/Hydro/whatever bearing though. Great fans apparently but I've seen lots comments about the bearings making a bunch of noise after a while (no personal experience) so would have hoped a re-release in 2020/21 might have come with a more modern bearing. For the Canadians around here a shop called Dazmode sells all black nidec GTs for 19.99 CAD if you want GTs. Sells some other useful stuff like custom cabling supplies, lighting, water cooling stuff, etc. Only shop of it's kind I've come across in Canada and prices seem reasonable.

I grabbed some of the tough fans off amazon.ca which should get here next week. Not really a big TT guy but apparently they perform basically the same as the Noctuas. Wanted to give Noctua my money instead of someone who copied em, but they've been releasing the chromax version of these for like 2 years or something. At a certain point I don't fault someone else for filling the void if Noctua won't. I recognize there are improvements and R+D, but it's not like the NF-A12 isn't heavily influenced by the GT anyway. If Noctua can copy the GT blade design I don't see why others can't copy what they added to it. I kinda question how much of the improvement is the "sterrox"/fibre glass marketing speak and not simply down to using a better bearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
Painting a fan almost never achieves an even thickness of the painted layer. This does not matter for the frame. But for the fan blades, the unbalanced weight will create reliability problem when the fan spins up. This is just like an unbalanced tyre.
I'm not so sure about that, not unless someone has some actual testing to prove that. If you go super thick with the paint, maybe. I've airbrushed noctua fans and not had any issues with them; you can get pretty even and light coats that way, but probably even spray paint would work fine if careful. Other people who I've seen try it have said the same. I think people just assume there's an insane amount of precision and balance that goes into these (even for tires there isn't 100% perfect balance), but I doubt milligrams of paint difference on the blades is going to make any real-world difference.

But as Phuncz said, it's something that works for modding, obviously Noctua has to due it with dyes/pigments or whatever they are using, make sure color is consistent, make sure it's the same if producing at multiple factories, etc.

I'm not waiting for the chromax a12x25 anymore. As pointed out, a bunch of other companies are using the Gentle Typhoon-style blades now, and are close enough in performance. It will be nice to have the option when they do come out, and Noctua is a very good company overall in standing behind their products, but there are other options, especially if it's just the color scheme that's the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

Testifier

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
Kinda cool that XPG is bringing the GT back and added some anti-vibration pads. Couldn't turn up any listings for em :/. Wish they'd updated it with a FDB/Hydro/whatever bearing though. Great fans apparently but I've seen lots comments about the bearings making a bunch of noise after a while (no personal experience) so would have hoped a re-release in 2020/21 might have come with a more modern bearing. For the Canadians around here a shop called Dazmode sells all black nidec GTs for 19.99 CAD if you want GTs. Sells some other useful stuff like custom cabling supplies, lighting, water cooling stuff, etc. Only shop of it's kind I've come across in Canada and prices seem reasonable.

I grabbed some of the tough fans off amazon.ca which should get here next week. Not really a big TT guy but apparently they perform basically the same as the Noctuas. Wanted to give Noctua my money instead of someone who copied em, but they've been releasing the chromax version of these for like 2 years or something. At a certain point I don't fault someone else for filling the void if Noctua won't. I recognize there are improvements and R+D, but it's not like the NF-A12 isn't heavily influenced by the GT anyway. If Noctua can copy the GT blade design I don't see why others can't copy what they added to it. I kinda question how much of the improvement is the "sterrox"/fibre glass marketing speak and not simply down to using a better bearing.
They're scheduled to be up for sale on the 14th, at least where I live.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, noctua can go shove those black a12x25 up their a**. The real OG is about to return

Is it weird that this fan has minimum of 900RPM in PWM mode but ONLY 450RPM in DC mode? I thought PWM allows fans to hit lower minimum RPM than DC. Here's the product link for reference https://www.xpg.com/us/feature/691/
Those fans have a frame that is too thick, so they are more like 11cm fans and I think they don't perform even close to A12x25.

BTW Thermaltake has some fans that are basically the same as A12x25, they perform the same and are black.

yes, there's a Youtuber that has tested the fans in both applications - case fan & radiator fan, and in radiator, the performance of Uni Fan is on par. His method is rather unorthodox but as he is consistent, it's at least a perspective to look at

IMO the 11cm vs 12cm fan blade does not cause much difference with radiator use since most radiator has the lip of the shroud extends by 3-5mm and block the tip of the typical fan blade anyway. Will do some testing and comparison when I build my NR200 triple radiator build next week 😁

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It think you mean the hub instead of the frame.

I've never seen Thermaltake's clone products that performs close to the original. I'll believe it when I see reviews from reputable sources that test more than fan RPM.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018

Mindfactory in Germany seems to have the XPG GT's in stock now, but I agree that these fans need a bearing/motor update. While the blade design is excellent, the bearing and motor are quite noisy compared to todays high-end fans.

The TT Toughfans don't seem to be a good deal in Europe, single packs are almost as expensive as the NF-A12 and the 2 packs aren't available. Not that I'd buy them either way, TT is too scummy a company in general.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
They're scheduled to be up for sale on the 14th, at least where I live.
yes, I've seen the same date on some Japanese e-tailers' websites too!

@Phuncz a few more youtube review also pit it very close against the A12x25 and if you can buy a 2-pack for 35USD vs 1x A12x25 for 30USD, then it's kind of a no-brainer

Mindfactory in Germany seems to have the XPG GT's in stock now, but I agree that these fans need a bearing/motor update. While the blade design is excellent, the bearing and motor are quite noisy compared to todays high-end fans.

The TT Toughfans don't seem to be a good deal in Europe, single packs are almost as expensive as the NF-A12 and the 2 packs aren't available. Not that I'd buy them either way, TT is too scummy a company in general.
Agree with the motor update - it's probably one of the advantage of the A12x25 in addition to Sterrox. Once you've eliminated the wind noise / air turbulence to the minimum, it's the motor left.

With regards to TT's business practice, I don't like it, and I've never bought TT stuff even prior to the scandal. BUT with 2020 in the bag, I can safely say all companies are the same given the opportunity, be it AMD vs. Nvidia vs. Intel or Asus vs. MSI vs. Gigabyte, etc. As long as the product is competitive - both price and performance, I would buy what is best value to me, regardless of makers. Many across platforms (here, reddit, local forums and boards, etc.) have positive bias towards Noctua and Noctua knows that, that's why they've been able to keep pushing back products time and again and again and again. True, part of the reason is because of R&D and whatnot, but they also know even if R&D comes short and miss the deadline, they wouldn't have to change / do anything different as there's ZERO CONSEQUENCES since those people just keep giving them money away. So yes vote with your wallet, but don't be fooled into thinking that one company is all white and the other is all black, they are, just like people, mostly gray.

Finally no one can shed some light on the minimum RPM of the XPG fan?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Finally no one can shed some light on the minimum RPM of the XPG fan?
I have checked a few reviews of this XPG Vento Pro 120 PWM fan.
None pick up this odd feature (ie 450 rpm min in DC mode vs 900 rpm in PWM mode).
And, actually this info is only found in the spec of the product webpage. It is not stated on the spec on the back of the box. https://pic.pimg.tw/wolflsi/1607279925-6500900-g.jpg

Another review has tested the PWM vs rpm and confirms that the lowest is ~900 rpm. Check out the graph at the very bottom of the review.

I do not know why. But in the above review, it concludes that the emphasis of this fan is performance (over noise). Maybe, this is why Adata sets the lowest rpm higher.

BTW, I notice this fan is ''made in Vietnam''!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: thelaughingman

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
It think you mean the hub instead of the frame.

I've never seen Thermaltake's clone products that performs close to the original. I'll believe it when I see reviews from reputable sources that test more than fan RPM.

No, I meant the frame, hub doesn't matter that much because most airflow comes from the edge of the blades, and that is why I think it is a problem that they have such a thick frame and small rotor.

Regarding second point, I just wanted to link the same video as BeerNsoup :)

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I have checked a few reviews of this XPG Vento Pro 120 PWM fan.
None pick up this odd feature (ie 450 rpm min in DC mode vs 900 rpm in PWM mode).
And, actually this info is only found in the spec of the product webpage. It is not stated on the spec on the back of the box. https://pic.pimg.tw/wolflsi/1607279925-6500900-g.jpg

Another review has tested the PWM vs rpm and confirms that the lowest is ~900 rpm. Check out the graph at the very bottom of the review.

I do not know why. But in the above review, it concludes that the emphasis of this fan is performance (over noise). Maybe, this is why Adata sets the lowest rpm higher.

BTW, I notice this fan is ''made in Vietnam''!
yeah the difference in minimum RPM is only on the product page and on the datasheet off the product page as well. depending on how noisy the motor is 900RPM might still be not quiet enough at idle. maybe XPG cheap out on the PCB/PWM controller so it cannot down to 400-500RPM as other fans?

from the review if MSRP is really NT 890 (~32USD) then it is squarely positioned as a Noctua-black-beater fan so I'd like to see more mainstreams reviews, especially the noise-normalised thermal performance.

and yes, Nidec has a factory in Vietnam. most if not all GT are made in VN nowadays